Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK passport form C1 - red pen

UK passport form C1 - red pen

Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

br1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the rough
Default UK passport form C1 - red pen

Quick question, and maybe a silly one. When I was getting my form/photos countersigned by my professor he whipped out a red pen, without thinking I also used it to sign/date the form myself. I used black ink for the rest of the form.

Wasn't till I dropped it in the mail that it occurred to me that this might cause some kind of issue. Called up Abtran, they just said "if they can scan it, good, if not, they'll send you a new form." Great. very useful answer. there goes eight dollars.

Anyway, I did some research and if they use old fashioned OCR with a red laser then it may cause problems, but if they use the new stuff that scans in full color I'd assume they should be able to figure it out!

So does anyone know anything about this? Thanks.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:56 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport form C1 - red pen

im just filling out the C2 form for my daughter. I looked carefully for any 'requirement' regarding ink colour. It only said use 'ink' and not a specific colour (which im sure it used to specify). Will likely come down as you say to whether the scanner they use picks it up.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

I don't have a categorical answer, but my impression is that the passport operation here is a lot less automated and a lot less fussy than the UK. Not quite running them off in between Ferrero Rocher at the embassy parties, but not apt to worry about things like whether you could find some A4 paper to print the form on and things like that. Best not to worry, and they should help you to fix things quickly if there is a problem.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

br1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rew1000
..Not quite running them off in between Ferrero Rocher at the embassy parties...
Haha! Thanks.