Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport expiring, what should I do??

UK Passport expiring, what should I do??

Old Feb 26th 2004, 5:26 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Question UK Passport expiring, what should I do??

I'll try to make a long story short.

I flew to the USA on a B-2 and married my wife in November.

We have filed all the paper work for me to remain and I recently had my fingerprinting appointment in Atlanta last month (January). This is for my change of status and EAD. I have also applied for a travel document so I can fly in and out of the States during my application.

The thing is, my UK passport is due to expire at the end of January 2005. I know, I know, I have some time but;

1) Will anything be stamped in my passport at anytime between now and any final interviews?

2) Is it best to renew my passport now before anything is stamped in the passport? I don't to have to hand in my old one with any stamps, etc. inside and then have to go through the whole process again.

3) Where do I apply for a new one whilst in the US??

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK Passport expiring, what should I do??

Originally posted by rincewind
I'll try to make a long story short.

I flew to the USA on a B-2 and married my wife in November.

We have filed all the paper work for me to remain and I recently had my fingerprinting appointment in Atlanta last month (January). This is for my change of status and EAD. I have also applied for a travel document so I can fly in and out of the States during my application.

The thing is, my UK passport is due to expire at the end of January 2005. I know, I know, I have some time but;

1) Will anything be stamped in my passport at anytime between now and any final interviews?

2) Is it best to renew my passport now before anything is stamped in the passport? I don't to have to hand in my old one with any stamps, etc. inside and then have to go through the whole process again.

3) Where do I apply for a new one whilst in the US??

Thanks in advance.
To apply for a new passport, go to the following:
www.britainusa.com all the info is there and you can download the form you will need along with the address to send it to. When you get a new passport, you will keep the old one, they do not take it from you, they will mail it back to you with your new one when you apply.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:54 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

That makes me feel a little better, thanks.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 6:42 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Do I have to send new passport photos when renewing my UK passport? I cant find any info about the on the website.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 6:49 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Note 11

Photographs

Please send two identical copies of a recent photograph of yourself.

The photographs should be in colour and taken full face without a hat, and must have a white background. The size should be 45mm by 35mm (1.77in by 1.38in). They should be printed on normal thin photographic paper and be unmounted.

The person who countersigns your application, (see note 7) should also write on the back of one photograph the words 'I certify that this is a true likeness of...' and add his/her signature and the date.

So, yep, ya need piccies!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

If you plan in being in DC anytime soon, you can have everything taken care of at the British embassy. It is much faster than relying on the post. Plus you can correct any errors or misunderstandings which would normally delay the process.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 11:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport expiring, what should I do??

Originally posted by rincewind
..... 2) Is it best to renew my passport now before anything is stamped in the passport? I don't to have to hand in my old one with any stamps, etc. inside and then have to go through the whole process again. ....
No and yes - but you get your old passport back again and anything stamped in it is still valid. So you will need to keep both your expired and new paspports together, until such times as the visa stamp expires and you get a new one (in your new passport), or you take US citizenship, when your visa stamps become irrelevant.