Reload this Page >

UK Parents US Children travelling to UK

UK Parents US Children travelling to UK

Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Gedkirk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Parents US Children travelling to UK

Hi there,

both my wife and I were born in the UK and we currently live in the US. Our H1 visa is about to run out and we are heading home for around 12 months and will then return to US.

We have 3 children, 1 born in UK and 2 born in the US.

Have read somewhere that we need to apply for a settlement visa for the 2 born in the US before they will be let into the UK.

We have left it too late to get UK passports before we are expecting to fly so wanted to understand what our options would be for the 2 born in the US.

Can they come into the UK on their US passports and get the standard 6 months ?

During that time could we then get them UK passports. I realize we would probably have to leave the UK and reenter on these new passports for the kids to stay beyond the 6 months. Figured a train ride to paris and back would do the trick.

Any help much appreciated
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:26 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Parents US Children travelling to UK

Originally Posted by Gedkirk
Can they come into the UK on their US passports and get the standard 6 months ?
Yes, they can.

Figured a train ride to paris and back would do the trick.
Yes, it should.

Ian
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Parents US Children travelling to UK

Originally Posted by Gedkirk
During that time could we then get them UK passports. I realize we would probably have to leave the UK and reenter on these new passports for the kids to stay beyond the 6 months. Figured a train ride to paris and back would do the trick.
You could just go to the Passport Office and get them British passports instead ...

Have you got consular birth certificates for them? If not, that's not a smart decision, as US birth certificates are not always acceptable for British nationality purposes. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Passport_In_The_US