UK to NYC

Old Jun 22nd 2015, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Clahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to NYC

Hi all,
I've started looking at Long Island but I'm clueless on areas!
Where's good and where should I avoid?
Thanks x
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

One of the best areas for what you seek imho is Morris County NJ- very nice, leafy, lots of parks, forests, lakes etc - schools are good- my kids are in the Morristown system & very happy there ( & I personally have found their schools to be quite impressive actually) - very little to no crime, fairly affluent, but a decent bang for your buck, quite a few Brits - approx 45 mins by train to Penn station.
Good luck
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Clahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hudson view
Hi Clahal

For New York property and transport try:

streeteasy.com
nybits.com
mta.info

For New Jersey:

njmls.com
njtransit.com

We moved to Ridgewood, NJ last year, a commuter town with great schools and lots going on because we wanted to be able to walk to dinner, shops, movies, library, town pool, etc. There's also a duck pond/bike trail about 7 miles long along a route that follows a river and is tree-lined. Have also heard that Ridgewood, NY (in Queens just north of Brooklyn is a nice place to live with lots going on but not yet been there.)

Ridgewood (NJ) is about a 45 min commute to Penn Station (train changes at Secaucus terminal) or Port Authority (by bus - Ridgewood bus terminal in town centre and lots of stops on surrounding neighbourhood roads) and and hour to Wall Street via Hoboken and PATH train to the World Trade Center Path Station.

Here's a rental (in a 2-family home) a stone's throw from Ridgewood, NJ town centre (with lots of shops / restaurants) Whole Foods and train station: MLS Number 1523093 - 2 bed,1 bath, Rentals-Residential Property for $2,100 - 16 Ethelbert Pl, Unit 1, Ridgewood, NJ - New Jersey Multiple Listing Service.

More Ridgewood, NJ rentals too in case you want to have a look: Real Estate Search Results for RIDGEWOOD, BERGEN County - New Jersey Multiple Listing Service

All the best with your move!
Thanks so much for all this info and help!

I'll definitely have a look at those areas 😀
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:05 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

One question -- has your husband been in contact with his new colleagues to find out the areas in which they live? It would be a lot more edifying to find out what people who do the commute every day think, rather than people giving you their best guesses on the Internet! I think you also mentioned the company had done countless relocations -- do they use a relo firm to help newcomers? If they are used to helping the company's execs, they should have a good idea of suitable areas.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

alternageek will become famous soon enoughalternageek will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Clahal
Hi all,
I've started looking at Long Island but I'm clueless on areas!
Where's good and where should I avoid?
Thanks x
Stick to Nassau County: Merrick, Carle Place, Syosset, Garden City, Mineola, Hicksville, Great Neck, Westbury..
AVOID: Hempstead, Freeport (though Freeport Village, south of Sunrise highway, is lovely)
All either have train stations in their towns, or one very near by
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alternageek
Stick to Nassau County: Merrick, Carle Place, Syosset, Garden City, Mineola, Hicksville, Great Neck, Westbury..
AVOID: Hempstead, Freeport (though Freeport Village, south of Sunrise highway, is lovely)
All either have train stations in their towns, or one very near by
That's great, thanks x
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

alternageek will become famous soon enoughalternageek will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Clahal
That's great, thanks x
Meant to share these towns as well:

Roslyn, Baldwin and Franklin Square
Old Jun 27th 2015, 12:59 am
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Nassau, and don't recommend the LIRR for a financial district commute. The train goes to Penn Station on 34th Street in Midtown or the Atlantic Avenue terminal in Brooklyn. He would need to get off at the Brooklyn terminal and take the subway or take the subway from Midtown.

Everyone hates the LIRR. It's expensive and reliability is iffy.
Nassau has many excellent school districts and beaches, strip malls everywhere, crowded roads, grumpy people and old, dated housing stock with ridiculous property taxes.
Don't even consider commuting from Suffolk.
Important: You can be on Long Island, but never in it, whereas you are in Manhattan but not on it.

Brooklyn is crowded, expensive and many areas have iffy schools. The nicer areas include Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens, Park Slope and other areas Downtown. You would get better housing value in Sheepshead Bay, Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge. Avoid East New York, Brownsville, East Flatbush and Crown Heights. Brighton Beach/Little Odessa is fun to visit and you may like living near the ocean.

The Bronx has many prewar apartment buildings with character and lots of poverty. The nice areas include Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil.
Queens is a bit cheaper than Brooklyn. Nice areas include Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Glendale, Whitestone and Bayside.

I second the Staten Island recommendation. You could also have a look at Roosevelt Island, which is technically in the borough of Manhattan. Both offer quieter living and more open space than the other areas. Problem is, you'd be stuck on an island.

Your family is in for major cultural shock considering where you're coming from. It can be a great experience if you're open minded and adaptable.

I'm leaving this place and moving west, but welcome to New York!

Last edited by manekeniko; Jun 27th 2015 at 1:10 am.
Old Jun 27th 2015, 1:03 am
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

Meant to share these towns as well:

Roslyn, Baldwin and Franklin Square
Roslyn = North Shore. Beautiful, tony and expensive.
Baldwin = Mediocre schools and some parts are high crimeish.
Franklin Square = Far from the LIRR and I personally think it's a drab looking town.

LIRR = Again, there's no direct way to the financial district without a subway transfer. It sucks and everyone hates it.

Last edited by manekeniko; Jun 27th 2015 at 1:07 am.
Old Jun 27th 2015, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by manekeniko
Roslyn = North Shore. Beautiful, tony and expensive.
Baldwin = Mediocre schools and some parts are high crimeish.
Franklin Square = Far from the LIRR and I personally think it's a drab looking town.

LIRR = Again, there's no direct way to the financial district without a subway transfer. It sucks and everyone hates it.
Im only going by what I remembered, its been twelve years since I've lived there full time.

I also think the education you get on LI is miles ahead anywhere in the US. Even a mediocre school on LI gives you more in 13 years than you would ever get in the in the UK. I grew up in western Suffolk cty and attended a mediocre school, but what I learned at 13/14 some of my UK friends didnt even learn until they went to uni and studying a specific course.

LIRR isnt great, but compared to what we have here in the UK- its cheap and does its job. I miss the LIRR immensely. $25 with return to go to NYC compared to the $60 its costs to get me to manchester from sheffield.
Old Jun 27th 2015, 11:52 am
Horrid Yank

Im only going by what I remembered, its been twelve years since I've lived there full time.

I also think the education you get on LI is miles ahead anywhere in the US. Even a mediocre school on LI gives you more in 13 years than you would ever get in the in the UK. I grew up in western Suffolk cty and attended a mediocre school, but what I learned at 13/14 some of my UK friends didnt even learn until they went to uni and studying a specific course.

LIRR isnt great, but compared to what we have here in the UK- its cheap and does its job. I miss the LIRR immensely. $25 with return to go to NYC compared to the $60 its costs to get me to manchester from sheffield.
I always heard that US schools provide a dumbed down education compared to Europe and Asia. Whatever the case, LI is known for excellent schools, and even the worst of them are decent.

The OP is welcome to pm me for more specific information, and to be honest there's another forum that specializes in relocations within US states. Members there could provide far better info than I have, but providing the name privately is probably best.

I grew up in western Suffolk and western Nassau.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

IlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond repute

Nutmegger's post is a great bit of advice: have your husband ask colleagues where they are living and find out if that 30 days of temp housing is firm or just a guideline....
Old Jun 28th 2015, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IlAlfie
Nutmegger's post is a great bit of advice: have your husband ask colleagues where they are living and find out if that 30 days of temp housing is firm or just a guideline....
Yes good idea..one of his new colleagues is living there now in the 30 day period. My husband can ask his leader too