British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK nurse wanting to move to FL! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-nurse-wanting-move-fl-682445/)

nurseinbrum Aug 23rd 2010 5:40 pm

UK nurse wanting to move to FL!

Hi everyone,
I've been in a nurse in the UK for 7 yrs and myself and hubby have been to FL for yrs and have always wanted to move. I was wondering whether there's any UK nurses who've made the move to the US? We have 2 young children (4 and 2) and want to do this move before they get older.

ian-mstm Aug 23rd 2010 6:10 pm

Re: UK nurse wanting to move to FL!

Originally Posted by nurseinbrum (Post 8797221)
I was wondering whether there's any UK nurses who've made the move to the US?

Check out www.allnurses.com - and do a search on retrogression. There are jobs, to be sure... but there are no visas available. The outlook for visa availability in the future looks pretty bleak.

Ian

nurseinbrum Aug 23rd 2010 6:17 pm

Just done a search and you're right. Thanks for your help

Bob Aug 23rd 2010 9:12 pm

There's quite a bit of info on this forum, also the nursing side to this site too.

But it's not something that'll happen any time soon though.

blondiern Aug 29th 2010 1:25 am

Hi everyone,
I've been in a nurse in the UK for 7 yrs and myself and hubby have been to FL for yrs and have always wanted to move. I was wondering whether there's any UK nurses who've made the move to the US? We have 2 young children (4 and 2) and want to do this move before they get older.

Hi...I am a nurse in NJ (albeit am American)...if you are willing, there are some areas who are willing to sponsor nurses from abroad, with a commitment to a number of years, usually 2-3, and if you go there, you can then move on to your area of personal choice after your commitment is up....ann

augigi Aug 29th 2010 5:36 am

I don't think that's accurate now - there aren't any visas available even if there are sponsors willing.

ian-mstm Aug 29th 2010 11:13 am

Originally Posted by blondiern (Post 8810134)
Hi...I am a nurse in NJ (albeit am American)...if you are willing, there are some areas who are willing to sponsor nurses from abroad...

Lots of places are willing to sponsor... but there are no visas available, so their willingness is irrelevant.

Ian

Dogbyte Aug 29th 2010 1:12 pm

Hi everyone,

Having just moved from NC to Florida for the experience in nursing, (have a lot more experience than 7 yrs).. simple advice DONT !.:thumbdown: 4 months later regretted it,.... so back to NC.:thumbup:
Florida OK for a holiday but to work and live very,very different. we were prepared to accept most things about Florida,heat,humidity,financial costs etc etc but the people were insular,unappreciated of value and two faced and that's without being too critical.
Florida is also a state where work is hard to come by unless you also have independant means, i.e capital of substance .. so be careful.
We are bitter in one way, as you may guess from the comments,but it was an experience which is what life is about, but just remember Florida is not all 'wine and roses' etc.
Now have a think about other States where you will be better thought of and you will be appreciated for what you can provide to people:fingerscrossed:
Seems a downer, but good luck in your quest, simply forget Florida !

Ray Aug 30th 2010 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dogbyte (Post 8810935)
Having just moved from NC to Florida for the experience in nursing, (have a lot more experience than 7 yrs).. simple advice DONT !.:thumbdown: 4 months later regretted it,.... so back to NC.:thumbup:
Florida OK for a holiday but to work and live very,very different. we were prepared to accept most things about Florida,heat,humidity,financial costs etc etc but the people were insular,unappreciated of value and two faced and that's without being too critical.
Florida is also a state where work is hard to come by unless you also have independant means, i.e capital of substance .. so be careful.
We are bitter in one way, as you may guess from the comments,but it was an experience which is what life is about, but just remember Florida is not all 'wine and roses' etc.
Now have a think about other States where you will be better thought of and you will be appreciated for what you can provide to people:fingerscrossed:
Seems a downer, but good luck in your quest, simply forget Florida !

but I have another nurse friend in Florida ..who loves it ...

Dogbyte Aug 30th 2010 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 8813272)
but I have another nurse friend in Florida ..who loves it ...

Each to their own, shame really, but it was said as a purely personal opinion.
But there again the people on the west coast are more hospitable, especially north of Tampa !;)