British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK nurse to Pennsylvania, need help desperately!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-nurse-pennsylvania-need-help-desperately-751959/)

Kkacan Mar 18th 2012 7:30 pm

UK nurse to Pennsylvania, need help desperately!!!

Hi, firstly can I apologise as you probably have loads of nursing questions but I am new here and been searching forums all day and not finding what I want! Or I find it but it's years out of date!

I am a UK trained nurse (4 years) university trained.
The majority of my family live in Pennsylvania and it has always been my plan for several years to move over once I had nursing experience. I am now wishing to start the process and I am completely lost!

I keep reading about the nursing retrogression! Is this still the case and does it only apply if you wish to go via the green card route?

I am 25years old, one 3 year old and my husband ( who has no trade, university degree or anything) so it is all based on my nursing.

I can't go via family visa as I have no immediate family, all aunts, uncles, cousins etc who I am very close with! Visit frequently!

I can not imagine not getting to move over!

I would be very grateful for advice anyone can give me in relation to visas, registering with nursing boards, requirements, exams, timescale etc.

Thankyou in advance!

Duncan Roberts Mar 18th 2012 8:11 pm

Re: UK nurse to Pennsylvania, need help desperately!!!

Nursing isn't a great option right now. As far as I know retrogression is still going on and has been for several years. That means that if you do get everything set and sponsored you would still be several years down the list. Several nurses post on the board, I seen some say they dislike nursing in the US due to what's expected and how they get treated and some say they don't mind it. At least one I can think of gave up on the US because of retrogression and went to Canada.

I wouldn't make any expectation of being able to move to the US on your nursing skills ever, maybe hope that in the next decade something will change and your chance will come along. Beware of agencies telling you they will guarantee a visa, they can't. Beware of immigration services that promise lists of employers and help with visas, they can't provide anything you can't do on your own for free.

Kkacan Mar 18th 2012 8:21 pm

Thankyou Duncan, I have just been reading a very informative post in nursing on this forum and this looks incredibly difficult! Firstly I don't even think I meet the requirements, I am university trained with a diploma only and it looks like I need, mental health, obstetrics and child experience! And if u don't have it there is almost no way of getting it!
The only reason for considering America is to be with my family. I have the contact number for the PA board of nursing so going to give them a call tomorrow in the hope I get some advice.

This is stressful!!

ian-mstm Mar 18th 2012 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kkacan (Post 9959560)
I keep reading about the nursing retrogression! Is this still the case...

Yes - and it is not likely to change any time in the next 10 years.

... and does it only apply if you wish to go via the green card route?
Sorry to be blunt, but there are no visas for nurses. End of story. You can't get a green card until you're in the US in some sort of status that makes you eligible to apply for a GC... and you can't get to the US without a visa.

I can not imagine not getting to move over!
Respectfully and with regret, that's exactly the case. I suggest a career change... or go to school in the US.

Please understand, I'm trying to be honest with you (whether or not my delivery is a bit harsh). My wife is a nurse (I call her a clipboard nurse since she has a doctorate in nursing and heads her department)... and we talk about nurse retrogression at least once a week. We both just shake our heads because there is a shortage of nurses (and doctors for that matter) where we live... a medically underserved area. She can't hire nurses unless they are already in the US, licensed in the state, and already eligible to work.

Ian

Kkacan Mar 18th 2012 10:00 pm

Thankyou Ian and I am glad you are blunt :)

Been on phone my family for over 2 hours and I've suggested a career change, not want I want but I want to be with my family more!

Daft question but is there anything in particular you would suggest I do?
I am actually on the waiting list to do my midwifery conversion, yet another daft statement but is midwifery classed under the same category as nursing?

Believe me I am dedicated to this 150% and have been for years this has just been a spur of the moment decision and If I have to become a plumber I will :)

Thankyou again for you advice!

Kkacan Mar 18th 2012 10:03 pm

Not been a spur of the moment decision**

ian-mstm Mar 18th 2012 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kkacan (Post 9959855)
Daft question but is there anything in particular you would suggest I do?

If you can afford it, you might want to consider going to school in the US. Then again, if you can afford school, you also might consider one of the investment visas. Take at look at this - it's all the ways you can get to the US.

I am actually on the waiting list to do my midwifery conversion, yet another daft statement but is midwifery classed under the same category as nursing?
Midwives are, for lack of a better word, still somewhat "suspect" in the US. There are midwifery organizations but they have always struggled to gain acceptance in the medical field. Shame really - my mum was attended by a midwife when both my brother and I were born - Glasgow.

Not been a spur of the moment decision**
For future reference, once you make a post and want to change it, you have 2 hours... just click on your post and you'll get an "edit" button in the lower right corner... you can then edit your post! :)

Ian

Kkacan Mar 18th 2012 10:19 pm

Thankyou Ian again you have been very informative, an il keep the edit option in mind! New to this.
Fellow Glaswegian here as are all my family who have lived in the Amish area of PA for over 40 years! only my granda stayed in Glasgow! He had to be different!

I didn't mention previously but my husband has dual Turkish and British citizenship, lived in UK 5 years. I see he may be eligible to apply via the diversity programme, going to
Look into this abit more.
Thankyou again.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 18th 2012 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kkacan (Post 9959897)
Thankyou Ian again you have been very informative, an il keep the edit option in mind! New to this.
Fellow Glaswegian here as are all my family who have lived in the Amish area of PA for over 40 years! only my granda stayed in Glasgow! He had to be different!

I didn't mention previously but my husband has dual Turkish and British citizenship, lived in UK 5 years. I see he may be eligible to apply via the diversity programme, going to
Thankyou again.

Can Turkish citizens apply for the green card lottery, you may find that the fastest route Good luck.
I'm a UK nurse, go here through marriage though. I had to have transcripts that were less than 10 years old and then had to take Obstetrics and gynecology and two semesters of Pharmacology at the local college.
Now we'll be doing it all in reverse (next year sometime) and I'll need to do the Return to practice course in UK as I don't have enough work hours to re join the register, but I have plenty of education hours. Everytime I say thats it I'm done, I'm not going back to school/college again. So much for that idea.

Kkacan Mar 18th 2012 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9959941)
Can Turkish citizens apply for the green card lottery, you may find that the fastest route Good luck.
I'm a UK nurse, go here through marriage though. I had to have transcripts that were less than 10 years old and then had to take Obstetrics and gynecology and two semesters of Pharmacology at the local college.
Now we'll be doing it all in reverse (next year sometime) and I'll need to do the Return to practice course in UK as I don't have enough work hours to re join the register, but I have plenty of education hours. Everytime I say thats it I'm done, I'm not going back to school/college again. So much for that idea.

Good luck moving back! Can't we just do a straight swap :) you will be fine with the returning to nursing course, worked with numerous nurses doing it and they have all sailed through.
Not sure if Turkish citizens qualify will have to look into more, my head is splitting with it all.
Good luck again.

Noorah101 Mar 19th 2012 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Kkacan (Post 9959897)

Originally Posted by Kkacan (Post 9959947)
Not sure if Turkish citizens qualify will have to look into more, my head is splitting with it all.

If he was BORN in Turkey, then he qualifies to apply for the diversity lottery. Plus, if he was BORN in Turkey, you can also file your own diversity lottery application, so the two of you can have separate applications.

However, if he was BORN in the UK, he won't qualify (nor will you). It's not about what citizenship you hold, it's about what country you were actually born in.

Rene

MarylandNed Mar 19th 2012 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9960165)
It's not about what citizenship you hold, it's about what country you were actually born in.

Rene

You can also qualify through your spouse or through a parent.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/1318-DV2...tions-ENGL.pdf

In most cases, this means the country in which you were born. However, there are two other ways you may be able to qualify. First, if you were born in a country whose natives are ineligible but your spouse was born in a country whose natives are eligible, you can claim your spouse’s country of birth—provided that both you and your spouse are on the selected entry, are issued visas, and enter the United States simultaneously. Second, if you were born in a country whose natives are ineligible, but neither of your parents was born there or resided there at the time of your birth, you may claim nativity in one of your parents’ countries of birth if it is a country whose natives qualify for the DV-2012 program.

Kkacan Mar 19th 2012 8:45 am

Thank you all for your replies. My husband was born in turkey and lived all his life there until 2007 when we married and he moved to the UK, I was born in the UK.

I can see this means he therefore qualifies and this looks likely to be the best if not ONLY option we have available at the moment.

Can I please clarify that although I was born in the UK I can still put my own application in as my spouse was born in turkey? So we therefore have 2 applications?

Lastly, I have noticed on The travel.state.gov website application for the dv2012 where taken in October/November 2010 is this the same application months each?

Thank you

MarylandNed Mar 19th 2012 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kkacan (Post 9960529)
Thank you all for your replies. My husband was born in turkey and lived all his life there until 2007 when we married and he moved to the UK, I was born in the UK.

I can see this means he therefore qualifies and this looks likely to be the best if not ONLY option we have available at the moment.

Can I please clarify that although I was born in the UK I can still put my own application in as my spouse was born in turkey? So we therefore have 2 applications?

Yes - you can both submit an entry. You are both eligible - your husband is eligible through being born in Turkey and you can claim eligibility through your husband's country of birth. Make sure each application contains details of the spouse and children (if any).

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DV_2013_instructions.pdf

1. WHAT DO THE TERMS “ELIGIBILITY,” “NATIVE,” AND “CHARGEABILITY” MEAN? ARE THERE ANY SITUATIONS IN WHICH PERSONS WHO WERE NOT BORN IN A QUALIFYING COUNTRY MAY APPLY?
Your country of eligibility will normally be the same as your country of birth. Your country of eligibility is not related to where you live. ― "Native" ordinarily means someone born in a particular country, regardless of the individual’s current country of residence or nationality. For immigration purposes, "native" can also mean someone who is entitled to be "charged" to a country other than the one in which he/she was born under the provisions of Section 202(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
For example, if you were born in a country that is not eligible for this year’s DV program, you may claim chargeability to the country where your derivative spouse was born, but you will not be issued a DV-1 immigrant visa unless your spouse is also eligible for and issued a DV-2 visa, and both of you must enter the United States together with the DVs. In a similar manner, a minor dependent child can be "charged" to a parent’s country of birth.
Finally, if you were born in a country not eligible to participate in this year’s DV program, you can be "charged" to the country of birth of either of your parents as long as neither parent was a resident of the ineligible country at the time of the your birth. In general, people are not considered residents of a country in which they were not born or legally naturalized, if they are only visiting the country, studying in the country temporarily, or stationed temporarily in the country for business or professional reasons on behalf of a company or government from a country other than the country in which the applicant was born. If you claim alternate chargeability, you must indicate such information on the E-DV Entry Form, in question #6. Please be aware that listing an incorrect country of eligibility or chargeability (i.e., one to which you cannot establish a valid claim) may disqualify your entry.

9. MAY A HUSBAND AND A WIFE EACH SUBMIT A SEPARATE ENTRY?
Yes, a husband and a wife may each submit one entry if each meets the eligibility requirements. If either is selected, the other is entitled to apply as a derivative dependent.

Lastly, I have noticed on The travel.state.gov website application for the dv2012 where taken in October/November 2010 is this the same application months each?

Thank you

Yes - same time each year. The next one you can apply for is DV2014. Applications will be accepted Oct/Nov 2012.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_1322.html

ian-mstm Mar 19th 2012 3:10 pm

Yes... and yes. :) It's called cross-chargeability.

I have noticed on The travel.state.gov website application for the dv2012 where taken in October/November 2010 is this the same application months each?
I believe it's about the same time each year, yes.

Ian