British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK nurse, how to meet the paeds/obstetrics/mental health requirements??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-nurse-how-meet-paeds-obstetrics-mental-health-requirements-752085/)

Kkacan Mar 19th 2012 6:52 pm

UK nurse, how to meet the paeds/obstetrics/mental health requirements???

Hi again, after the very useful advice I received on my last post I have literally spent hours today on phone calls to the PA state board of nursing, CGFNS, and my family!

Despite the nurse retrogression I have decided to still go ahead with applying To obtain my RN licence in PA, sit the CGFNS exams and also the nclex and obtain my licence so that if we do happen to 'win' the green card (long shot) or the retrogression ends then I will be ready.

The part I did not get much advice on was the actual requirements that had to met for international trained nurses to obtain a US RN licence.
I asked both the PA Bon and CGFNS about this requirement that nurses have to meet regarding hours in paeds,obstetrics and mental health. They did not seem to understand what I was meaning!

So my question is how do I meet these requirements? I know I definately don't meet them as I trained in a UK university and that is no longer part of the course.

There is no point in registering my qualifications with CGFNS when I already know I don't meet the requirements.

Thanks for reading.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 19th 2012 7:58 pm

Re: UK nurse, how to meet the paeds/obstetrics/mental health requirements???

You can meet them by doing those sections at a US university if you can get in. Each section is a whole class, including clinicals.
I did OB/GYN and pharmacology here as I didn't have enough hours in those areas on my transcripts. OB/GYN took one semester (sept through Dec) two classes a week and then two other days each week at the local hospital for clinicals mine was early shift 6.30am to lunchtime. Pharmacology was two classes a week for two semesters Sept all the way to June.
To get the exact numbers of hours needed in each area, you might be better off contacting a PA university that has a nursing program. They would know.

Kkacan Mar 19th 2012 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9961577)
You can meet them by doing those sections at a US university if you can get in. Each section is a whole class, including clinicals.
I did OB/GYN and pharmacology here as I didn't have enough hours in those areas on my transcripts. OB/GYN took one semester (sept through Dec) two classes a week and then two other days each week at the local hospital for clinicals mine was early shift 6.30am to lunchtime. Pharmacology was two classes a week for two semesters Sept all the way to June.
To get the exact numbers of hours needed in each area, you might be better off contacting a PA university that has a nursing program. They would know.

Thank you very much! I knew there must be someway without actually retraining in the us as a nurse. Tomorrow will spent calling universities. Can I ask how much this cost you? I know each state is different but just for an idea.
Thank you again x

Bob Mar 19th 2012 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kkacan (Post 9961610)
Thank you very much! I knew there must be someway without actually retraining in the us as a nurse. Tomorrow will spent calling universities. Can I ask how much this cost you? I know each state is different but just for an idea.
Thank you again x

Ball park figures -

http://www.sfs.upenn.edu/paying/cost-of-attendance.htm

Penn Uni $44K a year for the tuition, but you need to look at international or out of state rates and what they break it down per credit hour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_Pennsylvania

That lists all the colleges in the state...

http://www.cedarcrest.edu/ca/admissions/tuition.shtm CCC has a better tuition cost break down, but that's a private college.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 19th 2012 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kkacan (Post 9961610)
Thank you again x

No idea of the price now days I did it years ago. I know the prices have shot up. I think Bob's prices are for a full time student probably. I know my Ds was full time in state so local fees and it was $37,000 a year including his dorm room. I had heard that Uni was over $40,000 a year now too.
I paid per unit. Each class was so many units and 13 units was full time (If I remember right)

Bob Mar 20th 2012 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9961836)
No idea of the price now days I did it years ago. I know the prices have shot up. I think Bob's prices are for a full time student probably. I know my Ds was full time in state so local fees and it was $37,000 a year including his dorm room. I had heard that Uni was over $40,000 a year now too.
I paid per unit. Each class was so many units and 13 units was full time (If I remember right)

Yes, those were full time, but just tuition costs, but if you look at the links, they have a per credit hour break down, the CCC one at least.

Books, materials, everything else is extra.

Jerseygirl Mar 20th 2012 12:12 pm

I don't know whether the OP is looking for a full time or part time uni course. If part time is a visa available?

GeoffM Mar 20th 2012 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kkacan (Post 9961493)
Despite the nurse retrogression I have decided to still go ahead with applying To obtain my RN licence in PA, sit the CGFNS exams and also the nclex

I don't think you sit CGFNS exams. There is a recent thread here about PA: http://allnurses.com/international-n...te-660211.html

NCLEX however is something you could start right now. The wife is re-studying it on and off for over a year (failed it a decade ago and came to the UK instead!) and is nowhere near ready for it. There are loads of websites that can help you prepare, and I think the most popular book is "Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RNĀ® Examination" (get the latest edition). It's an adaptive testing scheme so you don't have a pass mark as such. If you get an answer wrong then it asks you a simpler one to determine what you do know.

Don't get your hopes up about the visas: even if they did open the floodgates, you've got tens of thousands in the queue in front of you. There are bills supposedly going through Congress to get nursing visas: most get dropped. Find a nice US citizen doctor of the opposite gender to court you and to help you with your exams!

ian-mstm Mar 20th 2012 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 9962815)
Find a nice US citizen doctor of the opposite gender to court you and to help you with your exams!

Normally, I'd agree with you on this... but the OP is already married with children. :)

Ian

Kkacan Mar 20th 2012 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9962885)
Normally, I'd agree with you on this... but the OP is already married with children. :)

Ian

Love that! Now that would have been a lot easier!!
It's definately not what I want but Canada is my
Next option, close enough to visit my family and still offer a bit lifestyle/more opportunities for my kids than Glasgow, so it's definately a future option.

GeoffM Mar 20th 2012 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9962885)

Oops! Sorry, I must have missed that piece of information! :o

MarylandNed Mar 20th 2012 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9961665)
Ball park figures -

http://www.sfs.upenn.edu/paying/cost-of-attendance.htm

Penn Uni $44K a year for the tuition, but you need to look at international or out of state rates and what they break it down per credit hour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_Pennsylvania

That lists all the colleges in the state...

http://www.cedarcrest.edu/ca/admissions/tuition.shtm CCC has a better tuition cost break down, but that's a private college.

Do you have to go to university to study nursing? Aren't there much cheaper options like community colleges or nursing schools? My local community college has foreign students on F1 visas.

Bob Mar 20th 2012 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 9963455)
Do you have to go to university to study nursing? Aren't there much cheaper options like community colleges or nursing schools? My local community college has foreign students on F1 visas.

That first one was a nursing college :lol:

I'm sure there are community colleges out in PA that do nursing, but how much cheaper are the foreign rates, I don't know.

Middlemore Mar 20th 2012 9:39 pm

I might be wrong, but I think you need to sit NCLEX, and not CGFNS. My understanding is that CGFNS is for nurses whose first language is something other than English.
Have a look on Amazon for NCLEX study guides, the best are Saunders and Mosby, but make sure you get the RN syllabus, and not the LPN one.
You can take the NCLEX in the UK, its in central London, and you will need to get a transcript of your original UK nurse training in order to identify the 'gaps', which will most likely be in psych, ob/gyn and paeds.
And the pharmacology is a lot more complex than in the UK, so start early with that!

MarylandNed Mar 20th 2012 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Middlemore (Post 9963699)
I might be wrong, but I think you need to sit NCLEX, and not CGFNS. My understanding is that CGFNS is for nurses whose first language is something other than English.

My wife had to pass the NCLEX exam to get her Maryland nursing license. CGFNS just verified her credentials - she didn't have to sit an exam.