UK nurse

Old Dec 2nd 2013, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Kayla89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK nurse

Hi just wandered if there are any UK nurses that have managed to get to the US? How did you find it? I'm 24 I've been qualified for 2 years and really want to make the move. I keep reading conflicting information about how to get the process started and am really confused! If anyone could help, would be Appreciated!
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 6:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK nurse

Do a quick search or threads on nurses, there are plenty of them; there was one within the past couple of weeks.

It is reportedly tougher now than it was upto about a decade ago (when a visa class for, or especially suited to, nurses was withdrawn), and visas are now hard to come by for nurses as employers do not routinely sponsor visas for them.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

I came across this web site recently.

http://www.myassignmentamerica.com/aa/about/index.jsp

I can't tell you if what this company is offering is even possible. I do know that I have used travel nurses from Cross Country many times, and they are a legit nurse staffing agency.

There are agencies out there that recruit nurses from foreign countries to work in the US. This was a very popular option in the 90's. However, most of what I have heard about these agencies has not been positive. The biggest complaint is that the salary you earn while under contract is minimal, because you are "paying back" the expenses the company has incurred during the employment process. Indentured servant is how one nurse described her working environment while under contract. The other downside is that the contracts are generally 13 weeks in length and then you are moved to new assignment.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is reportedly tougher now than it was upto about a decade ago (when a visa class for, or especially suited to, nurses was withdrawn), and visas are now hard to come by for nurses as employers do not routinely sponsor visas for them.
Originally Posted by DebzinUS
I came across this web site recently.

http://www.myassignmentamerica.com/aa/about/index.jsp

I can't tell you if what this company is offering is even possible.
Their page about visas seems a little vague to me.

http://www.myassignmentamerica.com/aa/about/visa.jsp
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kayla89
Hi just wandered if there are any UK nurses that have managed to get to the US? How did you find it? I'm 24 I've been qualified for 2 years and really want to make the move. I keep reading conflicting information about how to get the process started and am really confused! If anyone could help, would be Appreciated!
Do you have clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult on your transcripts? Usually something is missing making it harder to meet US state requirements and as far as I am aware no courses for top up available in the US

Most nurses come under the EB3 immigrant visa if lucky to find employer and dependent on place of birth will depend how many years you have to wait for immigrant visa
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 12:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Probably, judging by previous posts, your chances of getting a visa based on being a nurse with a couple years experience will be slim to none.

Hassle, time and cost of getting state certified to work, if you get to the US by other means would all depend on the state you plan to live/work in.