British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK Nintendo Wii - do they work in USA?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-nintendo-wii-do-they-work-usa-736523/)

LucyWoodhead Oct 22nd 2011 4:12 pm

UK Nintendo Wii - do they work in USA?!

ok, so we're likely to be emigrating to Houston in Jan/feb time.....my 6 and 4 year old are desparate for Santa to bring them a Wii this year - great timing! A second hand one is on the cards - purchased before we realised how soon we may be moving! my question is; will this work in the USA or should I let the kids play on it now then sell it before we move and buy again in USA?! Trivial, but will probably be the most important factor re the move in my kids eyes!

lansbury Oct 22nd 2011 4:51 pm

Re: UK Nintendo Wii - do they work in USA?!

I think if it is 100v - 240v and in the settings you can set the output signal for either PAL or NTSB it will work.

or

It is 100v - 240v and you run the signal to the TV via composite or HDMI cables it will work. This is the one I have a small doubt about. You would need to buy the cables.

Just looked on craigslist and you can get a used one for around $50 or less so not sure it is worth bringing it, when you can get a US one that cheap.

fatbrit Oct 22nd 2011 5:47 pm

Wii-U will be released within next 6 months. Expect large discounts on existing Wiis.

kimilseung Oct 22nd 2011 6:01 pm

It is my understanding that Wii games are region encoded, so you can play games bought in UK on a UK Wii, but if you brought it to the US, while you could continue to play the games you have; any games bought in the US would not work on it.

So you might want to bring it, even if you pick up a cheap local one, as lansbury suggests, so you can continue to play the UK games.

washsaint Oct 23rd 2011 12:55 am

yes the UK Wii will work in the US (we brought ours over last year) but US games will not work on a UK console.

Bob Oct 23rd 2011 4:00 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9689787)
I think if it is 100v - 240v and in the settings you can set the output signal for either PAL or NTSB it will work.

or

It is 100v - 240v and you run the signal to the TV via composite or HDMI cables it will work. This is the one I have a small doubt about. You would need to buy the cables.

Just looked on craigslist and you can get a used one for around $50 or less so not sure it is worth bringing it, when you can get a US one that cheap.

It's composite if you get the pricey extra cables, no HDMI on it.

Games are region coded.

Get a new system with a bunch of games for $150 anyway.

The new one will come out soon enough that will be HD, so making the old one even cheaper.

Thing about the region coding, well there are plenty of softmods to root kit it and make it regionless, you can even stick on a hard drive to install the games, it's pretty easy these days, don't even need to do the save game trick to get the home brew channel.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/19/ho...ve-in-america/

:/

triptastic Oct 23rd 2011 5:52 am

I use a UK Wii with the original composite cable.

Just bought a new power supply from ebay - think it was about $5.

LucyWoodhead Oct 23rd 2011 7:13 am

Thank you so much everyone for all the info - very much appreciated indeed.

Weeze Oct 23rd 2011 12:15 pm

We use ours on the uk tv in the games room with a transformer to power both. For the games, it makes for easy birthday/Christmas present suggestions. Family and friends buy them in the uk and post over, or use amazon.co.uk with international shipping.

Bob Oct 23rd 2011 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 9690830)
We use ours on the uk tv in the games room with a transformer to power both. For the games, it makes for easy birthday/Christmas present suggestions. Family and friends buy them in the uk and post over, or use amazon.co.uk with international shipping.

I'd just get a new US power brick and bung it onto a US tele, would save a chunk of change on the electric bill...and reduce the fire hazard :)

AddyLaddy Oct 24th 2011 5:55 pm

We brought ours over and just plug it into a UK power bar which is running of a simple adaptor plug. Haven't needed to use any power/voltage converters.

It can only play UK games which means we don't buy any new ones out here - they're pretty expensive in the USA anyway.

It's currently connected to a multi-region TV, but when we tried to plug it into our new LCD TV (Samsung) it failed to find a signal. Probably an NTSC vs PAL issue as I had to flip the multi-region DVD player over for it to work. But I don't know how to change the Wii over to NTSC, so we had to give up on that.

jabs1888uk Oct 25th 2011 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 9690830)

I am relocating to the bay Area in january and have a bunch of plasma TVs what size transformer will I need, (they are all 50/60hz but 240 v) Im not sure of the power consumed by the tvs

Bob Oct 25th 2011 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by jabs1888uk (Post 9694830)
I am relocating to the bay Area in january and have a bunch of plasma TVs what size transformer will I need, (they are all 50/60hz but 240 v) Im not sure of the power consumed by the tvs

Unless someone else is paying to ship them, chuck them out...seriously...even with a transformer, the fire risk and running cost isn't worth it as those teles use a lot of juice compared to a LCD.

But if you insist, look in the manual, which you'll be able to find online anyway, the spec page will tell you what kind of wattage it churns through and get a transformer that's rated for at least double that.