Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK National Lottery

Wikiposts

UK National Lottery

Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:19 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK National Lottery

I used to have an account with these guys so i still get emails from them. Anyhow - this email arrived today so I just wanted to warn anyone who is in the US and still playing that it could cause issues if they were to try and collect winnings,
Changes to our Terms and Conditions and Rules

Dear .

Please note that from 13th December 2010 we will be making some changes to our Terms and Conditions and Rules.

Summary of upcoming changes:

As well as being a UK or Isle of Man resident, to play National Lottery games online or by text you must be physically located in the UK or Isle of Man when buying a ticket.

If you play by Direct Debit, you must be physically located in the UK or Isle of Man when setting up your Direct Debit Account and also when making amendments to it, including buying additional tickets, or changing your numbers or payment details. As long as you only make these changes while you are physically located in the UK or Isle of Man, your tickets will be valid if you travel overseas.

If you do not meet these requirements, any ticket purchases you make will be invalid and no prizes paid, and we will have the right to reclaim any prizes already paid under these circumstances.

You can view these changes by clicking here. You will also be notified of these changes when you next sign in to your Account and will need to confirm that you have read and agree to be bound by them to continue playing National Lottery games online or by text. If you have already signed in to your Account this week and accepted the changes, there is no further action needed.

Any National Lottery games played up to and including 12th December 2010 will be subject to the current Terms and Conditions and Rules.

Kind regards

The National Lottery Customer Care Team

The National Lottery
www.national-lottery.co.uk
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK National Lottery

Although I did win a few $K a few years ago.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
I used to have an account with these guys so i still get emails from them. Anyhow - this email arrived today so I just wanted to warn anyone who is in the US and still playing that it could cause issues if they were to try and collect winnings,
So they used to allow non-resident to collect winnings? Wonder why they squashed that. From now on one's family will have to "buy" and "win" the tickets I suppose and gift one the money.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nice

I dont know how they will Police it as I play online and any winnings goes into my online account which I can use for future purchases.
When I use the online method I do get a message that I am playing outside the UK so i sign in using a UK IP address.
If I was to win millions I would fly home to collect it!!!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by johnbuoy
I dont know how they will Police it as I play online and any winnings goes into my online account which I can use for future purchases.
When I use the online method I do get a message that I am playing outside the UK so i sign in using a UK IP address.
If I was to win millions I would fly home to collect it!!!
It would be quite easy to find out you were not a UK resident though.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:08 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

maybe they will now require proof of some kind of permananet residence in the UK?

It sounds like they have been forced to take more measures after some issues?

I used to carry on playing it when i first got here - but in the end thought that I could think of not a lot worse than winning 10 million quid only for them to find some way out of actually paying me (especially after i coughed up a first class ticket home to collect it lol knowing my luck!)
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

I got that email today too, though I haven't played for years and years. I've flagged it until I get around to closing the account
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:19 am
Just Joined

BackandForth is an unknown quantity at this point

I stopped playing after being here for a year or so. I guess the worst thing would be to win and not get yrou money. They will find out I am sure! Tax man will know!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
I used to carry on playing it when i first got here - but in the end thought that I could think of not a lot worse than winning 10 million quid only for them to find some way out of actually paying me (especially after i coughed up a first class ticket home to collect it lol knowing my luck!)
Almost certainly, playing a foreign lottery when a US resident is not legal.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Powderhound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Almost certainly, playing a foreign lottery when a US resident is not legal.
They changes the rules a while back. A Brit living in Hong Kong won the jackpot and flew back to collect, he got the cash and a lot of publicity but then they decided to change the rules.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Powderhound
They changes the rules a while back. A Brit living in Hong Kong won the jackpot and flew back to collect, he got the cash and a lot of publicity but then they decided to change the rules.
My post was from the view of US law, not whatever the UK thinks about the situation. US gambling laws would almost certainly make it illegal for anyone to play in a foreign lottery whilst resident in the US.