Reload this Page >

Uk moving to usa

Uk moving to usa

Old Jun 8th 2014, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Haimz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk moving to usa

Hello all,
I have posted just a few days ago moving to the usa with a nursing degree....

Thankyou to everyone who answered, i found the info very usefull.

Basically im posting again as i have done further research and been intouch with advisers from the uni i wish to study at, and they are trying to persuade me not to bother studying for a nursing degree, instead to study environmental health as its more intouch with my skills and experience.

So my question is, if i study environmental health- how popular is this role in the usa? Do i have a standing chance is making a living over there?

I realise this is no reason to study a degree but it will count towards my decision.

Thankyou(and sorry for the ramble)
Old Jun 8th 2014, 3:33 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk moving to usa

First, what does an environmental health graduate do? Sorry to be a bit daft but I'm not exactly sure what that is.

Second, the issue isn't whether there are jobs here for that degree, but whether they are the such that will qualify for a visa, i.e. is there such a lack of people in that field here in the US such that a company (and the US government) would agree to a foreigner taking that job? Engineers, chemists, scientists--these are the kind of jobs that will qualify you for the H1-B visa, and even then it's a 50-50 shot at the lottery as to whether you can get a visa. Environmental health? I'm not sure how likely that would be to qualify for a visa.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 3:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haimz
So my question is, if i study environmental health- how popular is this role in the usa? Do i have a standing chance is making a living over there?
50 states....50 different local markets....so a piece of string question.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Haimz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
First, what does an environmental health graduate do? Sorry to be a bit daft but I'm not exactly sure what that is.

Second, the issue isn't whether there are jobs here for that degree, but whether they are the such that will qualify for a visa, i.e. is there such a lack of people in that field here in the US such that a company (and the US government) would agree to a foreigner taking that job? Engineers, chemists, scientists--these are the kind of jobs that will qualify you for the H1-B visa, and even then it's a 50-50 shot at the lottery as to whether you can get a visa. Environmental health? I'm not sure how likely that would be to qualify for a visa.

Hi, thankyou for your reply. It would qualify me to be an environmental health officer....a person who visits work places, homes etc to ensure the public well being is not being put at risk. For instance, visiting a workplace that sells food and inspecting the safety and hygiene standards meet legal criteria to serve food to the public.
I'm not to sure what this post would be called in the us.
The state i would prefer is florida. I'm finding it a little difficult to find information regarding my answer on google.
Thankyou for your responses.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 5:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thankyou for your reply. It would qualify me to be an environmental health officer....a person who visits work places, homes etc to ensure the public well being is not being put at risk. For instance, visiting a workplace that sells food and inspecting the safety and hygiene standards meet legal criteria to serve food to the public.
The state i would prefer is florida. I'm finding it a little difficult to find information regarding my answer on google.
OK, PenguinSix asked the question I didn't have time to post earlier.

Undoubtedly the problem you face is that cash-strapped states, counties, cities, and towns, (i.e. all of them ) are extremely reluctant to pay for visas to hire foreigners, and in fact may be prohibited from doing so by state law except under extremely limited circumstances. I sincerely doubt that a degree in public health is going to get you a work visa.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My County recently outsourced this function, I spoke to a guy who works for the County last week and mentioned that he had been there when the 'inspected' the school kitchen. Guy did not seem to anything about anything.

Would not have thought it was an obvious job for sponsorship.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 6:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So you're looking at a government job.

That's not going to help as you'll find even less likely being eligible for a visa.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

The County I work for are never short of inspectors for environmental health.

If someone quits or gets promoted they are always inundated with resumes for the position and considering the abuse they get, the paperwork involved and the fairly low wage scale I wouldn't want it.

I will stick to the Lab side of EH
Old Jun 9th 2014, 1:38 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest problem with your plan, as mentioned above Bob and Pulaski is that the "sponsoring employer" for a graduate with your degree is (more or less) a government agency. That means US taxpayers are going to have to pay not only your salary, but pay an extra premium of about $5000-$10,000 in visa preparation fees to hire you instead of hiring an unemployed American graduate (of which there are many).

Imagine the firestorm in your local council if the government gave a nice civil service job to an American rather than to an unemployed local. Same fuss on this side as well.

If you can develop a niche in that industry, say you were working as a environmental health inspector for an oil company working on off shore platforms, then maybe you could find a company that would take you and your skills after a number of years of experience. But coming over as a fresh graduate with skills sought (primarily) by government agencies--it's not very likely.

Sorry.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

There is no real social safety net here and bugger all employer rights. You would be putting yourself and your child at great risk by pursuing your dream.

If you must give it shot you will need a nursing degree, experience and a hospital willing to pay a nursing agency to get you over.
In other worlds you need all the planets aligned before anything even gets started. Competition for new graduate nurses is tough at the moment. Hospitals won't even touch anyone with an associates nursing degree. Those working with an associates degree are now being required to go back to school and get a full graduate degree.

Licensing varies by state but generally the CGFNS will have to evaluate and approve your qualifications. My wife's health and social studies degree was enough to get her past this stage, she got lucky as about 10 years ago nurses were in demand and her hospital paid for additional training and the NCLEX exam.

You have a mountain to climb and will have very little stability if you even make it.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

... they are trying to persuade me not to bother studying for a nursing degree, instead to study environmental health as its more intouch with my skills and experience.

You're right at the beginning of what could be a great career in almost anything you choose. My advice would be to pick something you're really passionate about. Remember, regardless of where you live, you're going to have to do years of study, then do the actual job, day after day, year after year.

Further down the line, if you still want to move to America, there will be various diversions you can make along the way to get you closer to that goal (maybe even marry a US citizen).

For now though, don't listen to what the uni thinks is best or what you think some fictitious employer in the US may or may not want in the future. Do what you love to do.