Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Moving Company Scams on International Moves

UK Moving Company Scams on International Moves

Old May 21st 2009, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

AliciaT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Moving Company Scams on International Moves

I contracted <<snip>> to move a sideboard from UK to the USA. When I asked for a quote from different companies I included the exact measurements and chose this company because of their pricing. After packing they upped the total price from 668GBPounds to 976GB Pounds the actual shipping charges were raised 60%. The Managing Director of this company has written an article on how to avoid scams but now he is not returning my emails. Added to this, even though destination was clearly stated in the contract the shipping company in the US has informed me that the sideboard is only being taken to a warehouse 35 miles from where I live and I will have to get a mover to pick it up from there.
As I'm not a UK resident now the Fair Trade Office cannot help me.
I'd appreciate any advice?

Last edited by Sue; May 21st 2009 at 8:08 pm. Reason: Name of company removed. Please don't use site to name and shame. Thanks
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:48 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Moving Company Scams on International Moves

Why can't trading standards help you? doesn't matter if you are from the uk or not, that said they are so short staffed they tend to come up with any excuse! about 6 years ago I brought some cashews which had been packed in india, I took them home and clearly in the packet was an insect alive and well, took the packet unopened to the trading standards and never heard another thing! hassel,hassel,hassel them they should respond! I didn't as my primary concern was that this insect was not a native of the UK and I worried it could start to reproduce! I hope and imagine they distroyed the packet?
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. I spoke to Fair Trade in Bristol where the moving company is located and they said that although I was a citizen of the UK if I was not resident then they could not help. It is ridiculous because if you have a problem with an international move then of course you are not still in the UK. They suggested I contact a Solicitor and file a claim but that would cost more money and I just can't afford to get in a legal hassle. 976GBP to move a cottage size sideboard! I moved a 5 bedroom houseful of furniture from UK to Texas for 4,000 GBP a few years ago and while I know it's more expensive to move single items this is outrageous.
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:16 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

yer I think they are being perdantic! get a relly to complain who is in the UK, tell them, it was a family heirloom!! they are useless in most cases, as they are short staffed unless hasseled, years ago My aunt complained to them about her ford fiesta car which completely failed at a red light, 3 weeks after buying it new, a month later watchdog did an artical on it! the police women who had highlighted the failure was threatened with legal action by Ford, my aunt was so insensed she wrote to the BBC, a week later she was on the program along with a few others (god she looked awful!) but it turned out that there was a problem and the whole range was recalled... one thing I was always impressed by was, the day my aunt shot the red light coz the brakes failed was the 1 year anniversary of her husbands death at 33 and she had her 3 year old in the car as well, she didn't dramatise...I would have done!
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:43 am
Just Joined

I did think of that but they asked me whose name the item was shipped under and I was listed. I feel that these companies know all the ropes and once you leave the UK, other than getting a Solicitor, your hands are tied. Once they are in possession of your furniture what are you going to do about their nonsense? I may call the Office of Fair Trade again and see if I get someone else. I did wonder if one of the newspapers had one of those consumer helplines I could try.
Your aunt sounds as though she had a very lucky escape, how terrifying for her. Hope she got a new car out of the deal.
Thanks again for your help. I just can't tell you how upset I am over this.
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:13 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AliciaT
I did think of that but they asked me whose name the item was shipped under and I was listed. I feel that these companies know all the ropes and once you leave the UK, other than getting a Solicitor, your hands are tied. Once they are in possession of your furniture what are you going to do about their nonsense? I may call the Office of Fair Trade again and see if I get someone else. I did wonder if one of the newspapers had one of those consumer helplines I could try.
Your aunt sounds as though she had a very lucky escape, how terrifying for her. Hope she got a new car out of the deal.
Thanks again for your help. I just can't tell you how upset I am over this.
I'm thinking out loud, and may have no way of working, but if the contract with them states delivery to an address, then that has failed. So maybe just hit them with a small-claims court summons for the amount paid for breach of contract. (Not sure how much they cost now and also what is the upper limit).

I did that once to a company many years ago that messed me around, ignored me. That woke them up.
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:23 am
Just Joined

The bill of lading which I saw for the first time a couple of days ago states that all claims must be conducted through English courts it also states that the destination is Dallas, 35 miles from where I live. I would have to go back to England to file a claim or pay for a Solicitor. It's at times like this we all wish we had a Solicitor in the family.
I do have the form which states my residence as the destination but the transit company here say they have to go by the bill of lading and that I should take it up with the moving company in Bristol. They are ignoring me and from what I've now read on the internet this is the way unscrupulous companies operate, they know that once you leave Britain your options are limited. I don't even have proof of insurance and I don't know what I will do if I have any damage, I can't expect help from the moving company though. I keep thinking there has to be a way to make them live up to their contract, I just don't know what it is though.
Thank you so much for replying I really do appreciate people trying to help me.
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

The bill of lading which I saw for the first time a couple of days ago states that all claims must be conducted through English courts it also states that the destination is Dallas, 35 miles from where I live. I would have to go back to England to file a claim or pay for a Solicitor. It's at times like this we all wish we had a Solicitor in the family.
I do have the form which states my residence as the destination but the transit company here say they have to go by the bill of lading and that I should take it up with the moving company in Bristol. They are ignoring me and from what I've now read on the internet this is the way unscrupulous companies operate, they know that once you leave Britain your options are limited. I don't even have proof of insurance and I don't know what I will do if I have any damage, I can't expect help from the moving company though. I keep thinking there has to be a way to make them live up to their contract, I just don't know what it is though.
Thank you so much for replying I really do appreciate people trying to help me.
You'd better pick up your sideboard really fast or the warehouse will start charging you storage fees as well....
Old May 24th 2009, 5:54 am
Just Joined

I will be sure to do that but at the moment the container has been flagged to be searched and x-rayed by Customs and it seems I am responsible for extra charges and storage charges until the Customs complete this. I really did not understand this because I paid 125 GBP for Customs clearance and is searching not part of their job, why do I have to pay them extra to do their job? I did check with Customs and this is legal. One more episode in this nightmare situation!
Old May 24th 2009, 11:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I will be sure to do that but at the moment the container has been flagged to be searched and x-rayed by Customs and it seems I am responsible for extra charges and storage charges until the Customs complete this. I really did not understand this because I paid 125 GBP for Customs clearance and is searching not part of their job, why do I have to pay them extra to do their job? I did check with Customs and this is legal. One more episode in this nightmare situation!
Customs may have searched the container...this is probably what the extra charge is for. It does happen and it's something the shipping company can't determine beforehand. You will probably see it mentioned in the 'small print' on your contract. Ask to see the bill sent to them for the customs inspection... we have had people post on here claiming their shipping company have tried to charge them for a customs inspection when one hasn't been done.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 24th 2009 at 11:32 am.
Old May 24th 2009, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

That's a good idea I never thought of asking to see the bill when they get through. It's the WHEN they get through part that's making me nervous because I have to pay storage until Customs get to it.
It's amazing to me that of all the containers on the ship and the number of times I've shipped furniture back and forth across the Atlantic this one was flagged to be searched!!!!!!!
Old May 24th 2009, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

trytofindaname is an unknown quantity at this point

What a combination!
Useless transport firm and Trading Standards.
Been there - done that!
Storage firm stole half my stuff. Trading Standards raided them. Trading Standards destroyed the half they collected! 4 years down the line I ended up settling for 1/3 the value.
The cost of the property lost was above small claims court value - and I had no money for a civil action.
I would collect and put it down to experience - unless you contact one of the radio consumer programmes?
Old May 25th 2009, 1:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good idea I never thought of asking to see the bill when they get through. It's the WHEN they get through part that's making me nervous because I have to pay storage until Customs get to it.
It's amazing to me that of all the containers on the ship and the number of times I've shipped furniture back and forth across the Atlantic this one was flagged to be searched!!!!!!!
Try the search function at the top of the page...there have been a couple of threads about custom's searches. Go to advanced search and search thread titles...put something like 'customs' or 'customs searches'. If you have a problem shout out.
Old May 26th 2009, 2:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by trytofindaname
What a combination!
Useless transport firm and Trading Standards.
Been there - done that!
Storage firm stole half my stuff. Trading Standards raided them. Trading Standards destroyed the half they collected! 4 years down the line I ended up settling for 1/3 the value.
The cost of the property lost was above small claims court value - and I had no money for a civil action.
I would collect and put it down to experience - unless you contact one of the radio consumer programmes?
Sorry to hear of your horrible experience, from what I'm reading I've just been lucky so far with my overseas moves. This looks as though it's an area that needs to be regulated, I just don't understand how these companies get away with this bait and switch. Giving one price then saying the packing exceeded their quote when they can stick on as much packing as they want to then charge anything. I don't have the money for a civil action either and when the company here sent me the bill of lading it states that all claims must go through the English courts but I only saw this a few days ago. The company knows on an international move the customer will not be in Britain so it's a done deal.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Last edited by AliciaT; May 26th 2009 at 2:13 am.
Old May 26th 2009, 2:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks Jerseygirl I'll try that. I'm getting very nervous about the amount of time this can be held in Customs and how much extra this is going to cost me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.