British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Uk mobile question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-mobile-question-895657/)

Moo52 Apr 19th 2017 4:24 pm

Uk mobile question

Hi quick question about Uk Orange unlocked Samsung S5, we want to use this on a US network for our teen son, I previously tried with AT&T but was told it wouldn't read the sim....
Looking for advice as to how to get the phone to work and any network that is best (reluctant to go buy a new phone for him to play games on when there is one in the drawer:lol:)
TIA

TheKingOfHearts Apr 20th 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Uk mobile question

A UK "unlocked" S5 should work on most networks in the US. Just ensure it's bands line up.

The below table is a cheat sheet of the US carriers and their bands:

http://i65.tinypic.com/35l84s1.png

The UK S5 supports the following:

LTE Bands: LTE Band 4, LTE Band 17, LTE Band 5, LTE Band 2, LTE Band 12
Others: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900 / CDMA2000 1X 1900/800

That being said, the above indicates it should work absolutely fine for AT&T.

Pulaski Apr 20th 2017 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts (Post 12233896)
A UK "unlocked" S5 should work on most networks in the US. Just ensure it's bands line up.

The below table is a cheat sheet of the US carriers and their bands: ....

That table must be at least 3-4 years old, as most Verizon calls are now routed through LTE transmitters/ receivers, not CDMA.

RoadWarriorFromLP Apr 20th 2017 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Moo52 (Post 12232897)
Hi quick question about Uk Orange unlocked Samsung S5, we want to use this on a US network for our teen son, I previously tried with AT&T but was told it wouldn't read the sim....
Looking for advice as to how to get the phone to work and any network that is best (reluctant to go buy a new phone for him to play games on when there is one in the drawer:lol:)
TIA

There are two GSM providers in the US: AT&T and T-Mobile.

Any other carrier that offers GSM service is a third-party reseller that is using one of those two networks (which almost certainly means that you're still using AT&T.)

(Do note that Verizon and Sprint both use CDMA, so they do not use SIM cards and will not be able to provide you with a SIM.)

AT&T has "GoPhone" pay-as-you-go SIMs. Go to a AT&T retailer and just confirm that it works before you leave the shop.

Pulaski Apr 20th 2017 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP (Post 12233915)
There are two GSM providers in the US: AT&T and T-Mobile.

Any other carrier that offers GSM service is a third-party reseller that is using one of those two networks (which almost certainly means that you're still using AT&T.)

(Do note that Verizon and Sprint both use CDMA, so they do not use SIM cards and will not be able to provide you with a SIM.).....

This advice is out of date.

GSM has been replaced by LTE.

Verizon has built an LTE network and is transitioning to LTE away from CDMA, and in fact mostly has already done so. So most, if not all Verizon phones do now have a SIM card.

Moo52 Apr 20th 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks guys for all the advise, will take it to AT&T and keep my fingers crossed x

TheKingOfHearts Apr 20th 2017 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12233910)
That table must be at least 3-4 years old, as most Verizon calls are now routed through LTE transmitters/ receivers, not CDMA.

Unsure if you just glanced at the table Pulaski, but it quite clearly says 4G LTE bands for Verizon :unsure:

Pulaski Apr 20th 2017 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts (Post 12234092)
Unsure if you just glanced at the table Pulaski, but it quite clearly says 4G LTE bands for Verizon :unsure:

I was focused on column 2 of the table, "Network", which for Verizon says (only) "CDMA".

hungryhorace Apr 24th 2017 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12234097)
I was focused on column 2 of the table, "Network", which for Verizon says (only) "CDMA".

It should be 'CDMA/LTE'.

mrken30 Apr 24th 2017 5:16 pm

Not sure the real reason Verizon is losing customers, but saw this article over the weekend.

Verizon is losing customers like crazy, even with unlimited data plans – BGR

ch2016 Apr 24th 2017 7:29 pm

I'm using an unlocked British-purchased Samsung S6 on AT&T through their prepaid GoPhone offering. The $45/month plan has just become better value with 6Gb included (was previously only 4Gb). Another option for a holiday from the UK is T Mobile offer a use-once 3 week SIM card aimed specifically at tourists for $30 (2Gb)

Verizon and Sprint were no good for me and my GSM phone. AT&T and T-Mobile use the euro standard GSM network, so your phone will work fully on them.