Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK on-line passport - printing frustrations

UK on-line passport - printing frustrations

Old Sep 4th 2014, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of
Default UK on-line passport - printing frustrations

Am trying to get UK passports for my twin girls. Used the online website, completed all information and made my payment. Thought I was home and dry!

Then tried to print the declaration page out which states very clearly do not resize. So I didn't resize and it cuts off the top of the form - barcode is intact, but my girl's first names are missing.

Phoned the advice line, you need to print out on A4. Well, I'm in the US I don't have A4 paper. Response - oh crumbs, not sure what to suggest.

We did come up with a solution for me to send in the document with the top portion cut off, along with an explanatory note - I can just see this causing delays...and with past precedent on delays in issuing passports (especially first time) would like to avoid this...

Any advice on how I can get around this, tried printing on legal, but it keeps reverting to letter...

Have a colleague going to the UK on business next week, seriously considering getting him to print out on A4 while he is over there

Lottie
Old Sep 4th 2014, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK on-line passport - printing frustrations

I'd just scale it to fit and go ahead.
(Or do you think they'll have a jobsworth measuring paper size for rejection?)
Old Sep 4th 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
This.

I went to their Newport office for rapid processing. I only had 1.5 hours between trains (otherwise another hour wait), but my appointment was half an hour after arriving. I asked if I could go in early and they said no.

Come back 25 minutes later and they eventually let me in. Went upstairs where there were half a dozen staff members sitting at the booths with nothing to do, and just one other customer on the entire floor. "Quiet today?" I ask. "Pretty normal" was the response. There was absolutely no reason why I couldn't have been dealt with earlier but the jobsworths weren't having any of it.

I had to run to get the train and made it with seconds to spare.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

It's something to do with how they read the information into their system and you have to print at actual size and not scale. This instruction is bolded capitals and the first instruction on the page - sigh - and I was so excited when this went online!
Old Sep 4th 2014, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

That's nuts. a decent system should have the flexibility to deal with variations.
(I know..all comments about govt aside.)
Old Sep 4th 2014, 4:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bit extreme, but you can get A4 paper at Staples and probably Amazon...spot pricey at about $10 a ream though.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 5:01 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
Have a colleague going to the UK on business next week, seriously considering getting him to print out on A4 while he is over there
When I left the UK I had 'my whole house' shipped. I have a huge stack of DL envelopes, A4 paper, A4 laminating pouches, etc.

I can send you 10 or so sheets if it helps.

That is presuming your print driver has the option to print A4. Mine does, not sure if all do...
Old Sep 4th 2014, 6:21 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I just mailed mine off on Tuesday, the site said A4 or Legal which is the standard here so I used that. As a former civil servant myself I'd say it's safe to assume the person on the advice line is a muppet.

EDIT: Pretty sure I did it to fit to paper too as it's my default setting, I guess I'll find out if it's an issue or not in the next few weeks.

Last edited by SpoogleDrummer; Sep 4th 2014 at 6:35 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 2:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I'd just scale it to fit and go ahead.
I suspect that US letter is within acceptable parameters, because the difference between letter and A4 isn't great (especially if you can reduce/ minimize the margins).

I believe, but don't know for sure, that the "do not resize" instruction is to stop people reducing an A4 form to A5 i.e. a dramatic change in size.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Dally is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear! Yes I came across this problem last week when all my paperwork was a different size to the other half's when filing for my visa! I would really hope that something as small as that would not cause a problem for you!
Old Sep 6th 2014, 2:52 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I would scale to fit letter. Its the declaration page, they have the data, they are concerned td barcode and signatures are not too small when they scan it. A4 and letter are of negligible difference in scale.

Eta I said I would, I renewed in 2007 and certainly had no A4, but I don't remember the issue arising, so perhaps I did.

Last edited by RICH; Sep 6th 2014 at 2:59 am.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 12:20 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Er... didn't have this problem with mine, printed fine on 8.5x11. They seem to have scaled it so it will work on either. Even says on the website to use A4 or letter size. Sure it's not just a crap printer?
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 2:01 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I just mailed mine off on Tuesday, the site said A4 or Legal which is the standard here so I used that. As a former civil servant myself I'd say it's safe to assume the person on the advice line is a muppet.

EDIT: Pretty sure I did it to fit to paper too as it's my default setting, I guess I'll find out if it's an issue or not in the next few weeks.
To follow up on this, I'd sent mine via USPS so it only arrived there last Tuesday, I checked the status today and it's been dispatched so it looks like using Letter rather than A4 doesn't cause any issues at all so I stand by my Muppet claim.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

That's weird I did not have this problem and I renewed my passport in June. What I did have issues with in terms of paper is they requested I sign my signature page again because the paper I used was not the correct quality. I signed on the paper they provided and sent it back only to have them send another signature page for me to sign again. After that third one I got my passport.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
Am trying to get UK passports for my twin girls. Used the online website, completed all information and made my payment. Thought I was home and dry!

Then tried to print the declaration page out which states very clearly do not resize. So I didn't resize and it cuts off the top of the form - barcode is intact, but my girl's first names are missing.

Phoned the advice line, you need to print out on A4. Well, I'm in the US I don't have A4 paper. Response - oh crumbs, not sure what to suggest.

We did come up with a solution for me to send in the document with the top portion cut off, along with an explanatory note - I can just see this causing delays...and with past precedent on delays in issuing passports (especially first time) would like to avoid this...

Any advice on how I can get around this, tried printing on legal, but it keeps reverting to letter...

Lottie
What printer do you have? And what PDF program are you using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.