Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK licence when I reach 70 ?

UK licence when I reach 70 ?

Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:43 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK licence when I reach 70 ?

I am over 60 and I know that in the UK, they ask you to renew your licence at age 70 - certify your eyes are ok etc

I thought I would change my old address where the licence is registered (now sold) to my daughters address, but there are all sorts of dire warnings on the form about non residents not entitled to do that and they will prosecute most serious etc etc

If I don't do something, the renewal notice will come to a house that I havent lived in for 10 years

What's the best way to handle this ?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK licence when I reach 70 ?

Originally Posted by exvj
I am over 60 and I know that in the UK, they ask you to renew your licence at age 70 - certify your eyes are ok etc

I thought I would change my old address where the licence is registered (now sold) to my daughters address, but there are all sorts of dire warnings on the form about non residents not entitled to do that and they will prosecute most serious etc etc

If I don't do something, the renewal notice will come to a house that I havent lived in for 10 years

What's the best way to handle this ?
I have a UK LGV licence on my regular UK one, the LGV has expired and I wanted to renew it but was told that as a non resident I could not unless I moved back to live in the UK, I could then do it no matter how long it had expired.
So ! ..... unless you tell porky pies you can't do it !
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:56 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I have a UK LGV licence on my regular UK one, the LGV has expired and I wanted to renew it but was told that as a non resident I could not unless I moved back to live in the UK, I could then do it no matter how long it had expired.
So ! ..... unless you tell porky pies you can't do it !
oh right - i should have put that my fear is that if i move back after i am 70, then they would make me do a retest as my licence would have expired.

My last test was in 1965 (Done one in wisconsin and motorbike test in Florida in last few years though). Held Wisconsin/Florida/Washington Licences.

From the reply they gave you, it sounds like they will renew an expired licence without retest.

Is that how you understand it ?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
oh right - i should have put that my fear is that if i move back after i am 70, then they would make me do a retest as my licence would have expired.

My last test was in 1965 (Done one in wisconsin and motorbike test in Florida in last few years though). Held Wisconsin/Florida/Washington Licences.

From the reply they gave you, it sounds like they will renew an expired licence without retest.

Is that how you understand it ?
That's how I understand it...as long as you can prove you had a UK license it will be replaced.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's how I understand it...as long as you can prove you had a UK license it will be replaced.
sounds good

had enough tests to last me now !

I was tempted to break the law by giving em my daughter's address, but now I dont have to

I will have to send em a letter as i approach 70, so they dont send the expiration reminder to my old UK address

good another problem solved, bring on the next !
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

It's the old grandfather rights law. In the case of my LGV I would have to take a medical exam but thats normal after a truck driver reaches 45 in the UK anyway.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
It's the old grandfather rights law. In the case of my LGV I would have to take a medical exam but thats normal after a truck driver reaches 45 in the UK anyway.
I didnt know grandfathers had rights - I thought they were just there to be begged off and visited just prior to birthdays etc

Its all good news today

lets hope normal licences are same as truck licences - i would have thought so - yes it makes sense