Reload this Page >

UK jobs coming and going

UK jobs coming and going

Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Location: Saltburn by the sea, North Yorkshire. Heading to Edmonton
absolutlyfedup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK jobs coming and going

When looking for a job in the UK don't think of looking in the North East of England. We have been hit very hard already, with more job losses in the near future as the knock on effect continues down the supply chain.

Wages are poor, and getting worse, which is why we are thinking of moving out to Canada.

It's a shame as the North East has alot to offer, friendly people, great landscapes, great nice of coastline and Moor land.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:53 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
You beat me to it. I was going to saythat theres plenty of building work for the olympics.

And if anyone fancies retraining. Nursing seems short on UK based staff. Judging by the amount of emails and job vacancies my OH is being sent nearly every single day. They are that short they are advertising down here for nurses to go to UK. Same in reverse of course. I am pondering going int oit myself just so i have a skill that is always needed, but not made up my mind yet.
You can never go wrong becoming a registered nurse.The economy can go to pot nurses will always have a job.My brother inlaw is currently in nursing school and he is near graduation and hospitals as well as agencies have already started recruiting him.Hard work but a sure $100k salary.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:22 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by absolutlyfedup
Wages are poor, and getting worse, which is why we are thinking of moving out to Canada.
I'm not trying to put you off if that's what you really want to do, but Canada's overall unemployment rate is over 7% and climbing, and even Alberta's being hit because it boomed on the high oil prices. That'll come back, but now might not be the moment unless you come with a good job that has lasting power, like nursing! Everyone needs nurses.
News item here.

Stats Canada here.

No chance of getting a job in one of the better off parts of the UK for a while? Lower moving costs.

Bev
Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:28 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
I'm not trying to put you off if that's what you really want to do, but Canada's overall unemployment rate is over 7% and climbing, and even Alberta's being hit because it boomed on the high oil prices. That'll come back, but now might not be the moment unless you come with a good job that has lasting power, like nursing! Everyone needs nurses.
News item here.

Stats Canada here.

No chance of getting a job in one of the better off parts of the UK for a while? Lower moving costs.

Bev

Also, because the UK has such a huge population spread out over such a small area, work opportunities are better and easier to get to. We're in Australia but heading back to the UK soon because I have a business that I want to establish at home. I know from being here that because OZ is so vastly huge, if someone loses their job in Brisbane, they might have no other option but to seek work in somewhere like Darwin. Imagine the logistics of transferring to a place so far away and so different?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:29 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
You beat me to it. I was going to saythat theres plenty of building work for the olympics.

And if anyone fancies retraining. Nursing seems short on UK based staff. Judging by the amount of emails and job vacancies my OH is being sent nearly every single day. They are that short they are advertising down here for nurses to go to UK. Same in reverse of course. I am pondering going int oit myself just so i have a skill that is always needed, but not made up my mind yet.
Thats because half of the skilled workers have buggared off abroad, over the last five yrs...........For that better life Half of which are now working in walmart or driving taxi's in Canada......
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:34 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
You can never go wrong becoming a registered nurse.The economy can go to pot nurses will always have a job.My brother inlaw is currently in nursing school and he is near graduation and hospitals as well as agencies have already started recruiting him.Hard work but a sure $100k salary.
What kind of nurse makes $100k per year?!! More like maybe $50k per year in often dismal working conditions. Yes, I would say a nurse is more immune to layoff than a construction worker, but ain't no $100k per year.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Also, because the UK has such a huge population spread out over such a small area, work opportunities are better and easier to get to. We're in Australia but heading back to the UK soon because I have a business that I want to establish at home. I know from being here that because OZ is so vastly huge, if someone loses their job in Brisbane, they might have no other option but to seek work in somewhere like Darwin. Imagine the logistics of transferring to a place so far away and so different?
Like my husband, he is a 3/4 hour flight from Darwin...Darwin is a 4 hr flight from Perth but to arrive in Darwin then onwards to where he works it will be an 11hr journey, overnight stop in Darwin after his flight from Perth then the connection next day to his office arriving back to Perth he has a choice of flying in to Darwin straight connection to Sydney, Sydney Perth or he could fly stay overnight in Darwin then fly next day to Perth, either way it's 11 hours.....and he really does have no choice at the moment....that's where work is at the moment.....no other reason he is there.......that's like flying to India for work......(he'd rather do that though I am sure lol)

I certainly not move overseas just for work unless the job was supa dupa and megga bucks......not a good enough reason for us.......
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by absolutlyfedup
When looking for a job in the UK don't think of looking in the North East of England. We have been hit very hard already, with more job losses in the near future as the knock on effect continues down the supply chain.

It's a shame as the North East has alot to offer, friendly people, great landscapes, great nice of coastline and Moor land.
I can't emphasise this more, the problem is worldwide. I live in Montreal, I was driving past my local GM (vauxhall equivelant) dealership yesterday. They were driving cars away and moving stuff out. The receivers were moving in!! It had been there since 1967! I live in a fairly wealthy area and have noticed more and more houses padlocked with repossesion notices on them. I'm talking about 3 within the distance of my local park, (half a kilometre). We have friends who are deparate to sell, guess what there are no buyers in Canada either, nobody can get a mortgage.

The list goes on and on. I run a business in the UK (from Canada) that is thriving, many of my customers are too. There are jobs, it depends on what you do. One of the great advantages in the UK is that it's easy to take a job in another part of the country as the area is so small. I'm not saying don't move to Canada, but just be aware things are exactly the same.

All the best

Jonathan
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:49 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
Thats because half of the skilled workers have buggared off abroad, over the last five yrs...........For that better life Half of which are now working in walmart or driving taxi's in Canada......
You forgot security guard and don`t just asian Doctors etc end up doing these jobs? So its europeans as well now, doing the toilet/menial jobs these days in Canada, its the price of emigration especially if you haven`t got any Canadian experience.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:51 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
What kind of nurse makes $100k per year?!! More like maybe $50k per year in often dismal working conditions. Yes, I would say a nurse is more immune to layoff than a construction worker, but ain't no $100k per year.
That`s because Americans think big.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:54 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
You forgot security guard and don`t just asian Doctors etc end up doing these jobs? So its europeans as well now, doing the toilet/menial jobs these days in Canada, its the price of emigration especially if you haven`t got any Canadian experience.
When you need to put food on the plate, anythings better then nothing no matter where you live...........Their ( there) are 2 big differences in the UK and Canada

1 being you have fall back if you really need it...in the UK
2 you dont have to take a degree to wash up or serve a pint or sweep floors or make a butty....In the Uk .

Candians have first hand knowledge on everything over the rest of the world Surely Jewels, you knew that
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:41 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

When you need to put food on the plate, anythings better then nothing no matter where you live...........Their ( there) are 2 big differences in the UK and Canada

1 being you have fall back if you really need it...in the UK
2 you dont have to take a degree to wash up or serve a pint or sweep floors or make a butty....In the Uk .

Candians have first hand knowledge on everything over the rest of the world Surely Jewels, you knew that
Try telling that to a qualified immigrant Doctor in Canada who`s qualifications were good enough to qualify him for Canada but they not good enough for him to work as one there.

Given the economic crisis in the UK people with degrees may well be washing up plates and sweeping floors in places such as Mcdonalds in the very near future.

Its common knowledge innit that Canadians excel in business and world affairs

Last edited by Jules Europe; Feb 12th 2009 at 2:53 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:53 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
$50k? That amount sounds about right in a southern state which does not have unions.Some southern states have the right to terminate laws which mean they can fire you for any reason. Here in florida that is the law and there are no unions.Alabama nurses(RN) make about $55k at a leading hospital.Alabama Lpn's make about ($28K)$14 an hour. Lpn's start at $25 an hour($50k) in northern new jersey even at a nursing home.I'm from new jersey.West coast states and northeast states pay the best salaries for the medical field.Top salaries are made through placement agencies.Good buddy of mine from Alabama is currently working in california as a emergency room RN.

She does 6 to 12 month contracts.Works halve her time in Los Angeles and the other halve in San Fran.She loves it!! The agency also pays a large percentage of her apartment expenses.My mother(what an angel) for years made less than her worth in north carolina.We(siblings) talked her into moving to New york city for the last 10 years of her nursing career.

Keep in mind she had a hugh amount of experience.Head nurse in critical care unit,supervisor of obgwn, 40 years combined expertise.Her salary tripled on day one of accepting a position at a leading new york city hospital.And because her job was unionized she was able to count on cost of living raises and much better retirement plan & benefits than her time working in the south.She later was offered a supervisor position but turned it down because supervisors were not allowed to receive union benefits.

A lot of people who do live in the southeast usa go up north to make and save a lot of money then later go back to states in the south to comfortably retire.

Last edited by YankeemovingAbroad; Feb 12th 2009 at 5:11 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:05 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Try telling that to a qualified immigrant Doctor in Canada who`s qualifications were good enough to qualify him for Canada but they not good enough for him to work as one there.

Given the economic crisis in the UK people with degrees may well be washing up plates and sweeping floors in places such as Mcdonalds in the very near future.

Its common knowledge innit that Canadians excel in business and world affairs
Thats exactly what i was saying..........I dont have to tell them anything, they are living it and doing what they have to, to keep their bellies full and so are alot of skilled workers.

We saw it and lived it and its not pretty Nooo the Canadian employers aren't prejudice, if your a foriegner or a first nation.....Your a foriegner and a first nation .....end of.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:01 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Thats exactly what i was saying..........I dont have to tell them anything, they are living it and doing what they have to, to keep their bellies full and so are alot of skilled workers.

We saw it and lived it and its not pretty Nooo the Canadian employers aren't prejudice, if your a foriegner or a first nation.....Your a foriegner and a first nation .....end of.
I would imagine that they are no more prejudiced toward foreigners and first nation people than many other countries but of course the prejudiced shown towards the first nation indigenous peoples of the americas is something of an epidemic.............even in countries where they form the majority population such as in Peru, there is prejudiced against them by employers etc.
I have also heard stories that latin americans that emigrated to Canada were far more accepted in French Quebec than they were in English speaking Canada and claimed less prejudiced was shown towards them by French candian employers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.