British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK jobs coming and going (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-jobs-coming-going-590720/)

cricket1again Feb 11th 2009 2:22 am

UK jobs coming and going

I thought this link might be useful. It shows where job cuts are being made, mostly in retail and luxury sectors. Obviously no one is on a diet because several of the supermarket giants are creating large numbers of jobs.

There are and have been 1.7 million people unemployed long term so the figure of 2 million unemployed shouldn't be too scary at the moment. If only the press would be less oppressive I think people might fare a lot better.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7839361.stm

Bevm Feb 11th 2009 3:47 am

Re: UK jobs coming and going

Originally Posted by cricket1 (Post 7273090)
I thought this link might be useful. It shows where job cuts are being made, mostly in retail and luxury sectors. Obviously no one is on a diet because several of the supermarket giants are creating large numbers of jobs.

There are and have been 1.7 million people unemployed long term so the figure of 2 million unemployed shouldn't be too scary at the moment. If only the press would be less oppressive I think people might fare a lot better.

Yes, we have to remember that most places are coming out of extraordinarily low rates of unemployment, because statistically about 5% of the "working population" are only marginally employable, and only in unskilled jobs. Going by the BBC regional data, some places are being much harder hit, of course.

But the 6% in the UK according to the BBC is still considered economically healthy. It's about the same here in BC, I think. Not nice for the unemployed, I know, but I'm just talking statistics.

Worked in unemployment services once, in another life.

Bev

cricket1again Feb 11th 2009 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 7273239)
Yes, we have to remember that most places are coming out of extraordinarily low rates of unemployment, because statistically about 5% of the "working population" are only marginally employable, and only in unskilled jobs. Going by the BBC regional data, some places are being much harder hit, of course.

But the 6% in the UK according to the BBC is still considered economically healthy. It's about the same here in BC, I think. Not nice for the unemployed, I know, but I'm just talking statistics.

Worked in unemployment services once, in another life.

Bev

That's the thing. There are jobs but skills seem to be short. I did hear there was a shortage of skilled tradespeople for developing the new Olympic stadium.

Fleaflyfloflum Feb 11th 2009 4:38 am

You beat me to it. I was going to saythat theres plenty of building work for the olympics.

And if anyone fancies retraining. Nursing seems short on UK based staff. Judging by the amount of emails and job vacancies my OH is being sent nearly every single day. They are that short they are advertising down here for nurses to go to UK. Same in reverse of course. I am pondering going int oit myself just so i have a skill that is always needed, but not made up my mind yet.

ahappychappy Feb 11th 2009 7:30 am

Originally Posted by cricket1 (Post 7273090)

Unfortunately the problem with many of these supermarket jobs is that they pay minimum wage (approx 5.50-5.75 GBP per hour) or close to it, and with little, or no employee benefits. I cannot understand how anyone can live off such a salary, with or without a recession.

cricket1again Feb 11th 2009 7:44 am

Originally Posted by ahappychappy (Post 7273743)
Unfortunately the problem with many of these supermarket jobs is that they pay minimum wage (approx 5.50-5.75 GBP per hour) or close to it, and with little, or no employee benefits. I cannot understand how anyone can live off such a salary, with or without a recession.

A lot of women like mothers for example, enjoy the work because it fits in around their families plus they get discounted rates on shopping.
Families who are on low income qualify for family income support and for the many people unskilled and unqualified, working in a supermarket is better than being on the dole.

brits1 Feb 11th 2009 7:57 am

Originally Posted by cricket1 (Post 7273268)
That's the thing. There are jobs but skills seem to be short. I did hear there was a shortage of skilled tradespeople for developing the new Olympic stadium.

Your right, my OH has had to go to the Northern T. for work but my brother in the U.K is picking and choosing his next job.....also neice a nurse in the U.K and her hospital is very low on nurses etc....she is raking it in with all the overtime etc.....FIL works for Asda and they are recruting all the time.......SIL lives in Kent and owns a few Beauty Salons and a Hairdressers while the beauty side is slower the hairdressers is doing a "bomb".......

brits1 Feb 11th 2009 8:01 am

Originally Posted by ahappychappy (Post 7273743)

My friend started off at Sainsburys to work around her little ones....now she runs a department line at Sainsburys....loves it, paid a very good salary and she only went in the first place because if fitted well around school hours, brought in extra money and helped her stay in the workforce....I know many mothers here in Perth who are doing the same kind of work here for the same reasons and for the equiv, in salary......also sometimes needs must...we cannot all be so "picky" when it comes to a wage....

ahappychappy Feb 11th 2009 9:52 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 7273825)
My friend started off at Sainsburys to work around her little ones....now she runs a department line at Sainsburys....loves it, paid a very good salary and she only went in the first place because if fitted well around school hours, brought in extra money and helped her stay in the workforce....I know many mothers here in Perth who are doing the same kind of work here for the same reasons and for the equiv, in salary......also sometimes needs must...we cannot all be so "picky" when it comes to a wage....

My point was that the pay for many of these types of jobs is very low. Nothing more than that. On a recent trip (2008) to the UK I noticed various advertised positons still paying 10K - 11K per year full time involving anti social hours. That salary range was considered a low income when I left the UK 13 years ago! I am of the view that a person should be able earn a liveable wage. Nothing to do with being "picky" I hope all the Mothers you know do well.

Fleaflyfloflum Feb 11th 2009 10:14 am

Originally Posted by ahappychappy (Post 7274087)
My point was that the pay for many of these types of jobs is very low. Nothing more than that. On a recent trip (2008) to the UK I noticed various advertised positons still paying 10K - 11K per year full time involving anti social hours. That salary range was considered a low income when I left the UK 13 years ago! I am of the view that a person should be able earn a liveable wage. Nothing to do with being "picky" I hope all the Mothers you know do well.

Errr, i spent 6mths of last year living in UK and saw very very few full time jobs paying that low, and i was looking every week!! Even call centre staff jobs were offering $14000 upwards. Most around £15 - 16,000

3 go mad in Adelaide Feb 11th 2009 11:25 am

Originally Posted by ahappychappy (Post 7274087)

The only place that would pay that kind of salary full time thesedays is maybe Carehomes - unfortunately there are some real bad 'uns about in the UK - pay peanuts, very labour intensive and mainly employing immigrants thesedays. Unfortunately the poor residents are all too often are the targets of built up resentment and tiredness - it's very sad (but I digress).

But a salary like that is certainly not the norm in the UK now unless you are prepared to say 'Do you want fries with that?' ;)

ahappychappy Feb 11th 2009 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide (Post 7274307)
The only place that would pay that kind of salary full time thesedays is maybe Carehomes - unfortunately there are some real bad 'uns about in the UK - pay peanuts, very labour intensive and mainly employing immigrants thesedays. Unfortunately the poor residents are all too often are the targets of built up resentment and tiredness - it's very sad (but I digress).

But a salary like that is certainly not the norm in the UK now unless you are prepared to say 'Do you want fries with that?' ;)

I was not implying it is the norm across the job spectrum, however they are more common than you state. There are indeed many low skilled positions advertised for that type of salary. Take a look in the employment agent windows in Chelmsford or Colchester Essex, or Norwich in Norfolk. My sister in-law in Chelmsford works for one of the big banks and told me the customer call center staff earn 5.75GBP per hour. Security guards are another case in point. A lady who worked in Sainsbury on the Deli counter also told me she was a 5.75GBP per hr worker. Some of these are on a contract basis, hence no holiday/sick pay. Even 14-15-16 K is not a living wage.

livermanl Feb 11th 2009 12:36 pm

For the most part i agree with ahappychappy.

But it has to be said the it all depends on your bills. I used to work at Sainsburys between the ages of 15-18 and i was made a supervisor on the Sainsburys to you department. As a supervisor I brought home 6.50 an hour and my take home pay if i remember right was 700 a month.

700 a month is not bad if like my mother you have a mortgage of 150 a month if you are looking at renting (bearing mind i lived in brighton) for a bedsit you are looking at 500 a month.

Jobs like that are great for the elder generations who bought their houses at a good time and have little mortgage payments (or students) but for the rest of us i would say take home to get started nowadays needsd to be closer to 1500 a month and you don't find that at Sainburys!

ahappychappy Feb 11th 2009 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum (Post 7274126)
Errr, i spent 6mths of last year living in UK and saw very very few full time jobs paying that low, and i was looking every week!! Even call centre staff jobs were offering $14000 upwards. Most around £15 - 16,000

Err there are indeed many low skilled positions advertised for that type of salary. Take a look in the employment agent windows in Chelmsford or Colchester Essex, or Norwich in Norfolk. My sister in-law in Chelmsford works for one of the big banks and told me the customer call center staff earn 5.75GBP per hour. Security guards are another case in point. A lady who worked in Sainsbury on the Deli counter also told me she was a 5.75GBP per hr worker. Some low paying roles may naturally pay more but I cannot understand how people manage on it.

My sister works as a recruiter in the UK and had some very sorry tales to tell. Bottom line I guess is that 10k or even 14k is low in relation to the cost of living & housing.

Fleaflyfloflum Feb 11th 2009 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by livermanl (Post 7274518)
For the most part i agree with ahappychappy.

But it has to be said the it all depends on your bills. I used to work at Sainsburys between the ages of 15-18 and i was made a supervisor on the Sainsburys to you department. As a supervisor I brought home 6.50 an hour and my take home pay if i remember right was 700 a month.

700 a month is not bad if like my mother you have a mortgage of 150 a month if you are looking at renting (bearing mind i lived in brighton) for a bedsit you are looking at 500 a month.

Jobs like that are great for the elder generations who bought their houses at a good time and have little mortgage payments (or students) but for the rest of us i would say take home to get started nowadays needsd to be closer to 1500 a month and you don't find that at Sainburys!

And thats who these kind of jobs are aimed at, not mature people in the wider job market. Most people with families would not be looking at doing those kinds of jobs for the main family income.
They are the kind of jobs used as supplementary income for most families, or, as you say, older retired people.

BTW... i was living in Essex when back there. Hockley village. There were plenty of jobs available at much better pay deals for "unskilled" workers.
Had i been able to recover from my pnuemonia quicker than i did, i had an interview lined up to get a job at Eon call centre in Rayleigh. They were offering around £300 a week from memory.