Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uk IPhone with US prepay sim

Uk IPhone with US prepay sim

Old Jul 30th 2019, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

SaraB25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk IPhone with US prepay sim

Hi, so my husband and I both have a unlocked iPhones from the UK we have bought a prepaid sim card and plan with Total wireless we have been in the phone with them for the past 2 days as the we still don’t have any service. The phones have been locked to Tracphone and after another day on with them they have said there is nothing they can do. The guys at the Genius Bar in Bestbuy advised us that the phones have been locked to the network. Has anyone else had an issue and is it a case of we have to buy two new phones or do we have other options? Any help would be much appreciated. My phone was with EE and they have confirmed the phone is definitely unlocked with them.

Old Jul 30th 2019, 5:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk IPhone with US prepay sim

What is the actual question that you're asking? Apparently it's been confirmed by Apple that they have been locked to the network, so it seems this is a signal issue?

Did you check the signal coverage for your area to confirm service levels?
Old Jul 30th 2019, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for the reply!
it seems Tracfone have locked the phone to their network but they don’t have the right to do that and can’t seem to unlock it!! We arrived in the US on Friday with our UK unlocked phones and bought a pre paid sim with Total wireless paid for the data and calls $30 as advised this was the best coverage in our area from a relative. We registered the sim and it continues to say no service and to contact the provider. We called them and after numerous calls back and forth to try and resolve we haven’t got any further. We called back to bestbuy where we purchased the package and sim from and they told us to call Tracfone who should unlock the phone. After a 2 hour call to them they have said they can’t do it and that’s that. My question is has anyone else had an issue like this and how did they resolve it or do we have to go and purchase 2 new phones in order for them to work???

Old Jul 30th 2019, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry and yes we have checked service issues. 😀
Old Jul 30th 2019, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little confused on this - you say the phones came with you, so I am not sure how a USA Network provider would manage to lock them - they'd need the IMEInumber, which I don;t imagine you've handed to them? There is every chance they are locked by EE in the UK, and if you had the phones for more than 2 years it is likely they can be unlocked for free, but then you mention you believe EE claim they are not locked. Are we simply talking about a situation where your USA SIM is not compatible with the UK phone? This is possible - we couldn't use several netwokrs SIM cards with an unlocked phone when we first moved before getting a USA mobile. They run on slightly different signal bands here vs UK.

From memory, I think T-Mobile or Cricket might work in an EE phone- do you know anyone on those networks you could try?
Old Jul 30th 2019, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robtuck
I'm a little confused on this - you say the phones came with you, so I am not sure how a USA Network provider would manage to lock them - they'd need the IMEInumber, which I don;t imagine you've handed to them? There is every chance they are locked by EE in the UK, and if you had the phones for more than 2 years it is likely they can be unlocked for free, but then you mention you believe EE claim they are not locked. Are we simply talking about a situation where your USA SIM is not compatible with the UK phone? This is possible - we couldn't use several netwokrs SIM cards with an unlocked phone when we first moved before getting a USA mobile. They run on slightly different signal bands here vs UK.

From memory, I think T-Mobile or Cricket might work in an EE phone- do you know anyone on those networks you could try?
Fantastic thank you, yes I’ve had the phone for 3 years and EE claim they have locked it. We are heading down to an AT and T store so they can try their sim. We are starting to think we either need to buy new phones or keep trying different sims till we find the right one. 🤔
Old Jul 30th 2019, 8:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if EE have in fact unlocked the phones. If it helps I have an unlocked T-mobile (US phone) which I've had connect to the EE service in the UK, so there is some compatibility between EE and T-Mobile.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 8:45 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

I know my UK iPhone (unlocked) works with T-Mobile. I did try a Verizon sim in it, which did not work.

T-Mobile is GSM (the same type as in the UK), whilst I believe Verizon is a different standard.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robtuck

Originally Posted by ivanidea
I know my UK iPhone (unlocked) works with T-Mobile. I did try a Verizon sim in it, which did not work.

T-Mobile is GSM (the same type as in the UK), whilst I believe Verizon is a different standard.
fantastic I will give them a try just been down to AT&T but that didn’t work we will give T-Mobile a try. 😀
Old Jul 30th 2019, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Call EE and ask them to send the unlock code to the server again anyway. If you have no ties to them it shouldn't be an issue. It can take up to 7 days for the code to generate and get bounced to the Apple server.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

https://uk.pcmag.com/news-analysis/1...the-difference

Here you go, this is most likely the issue if the phone isn't completely locked to the EE network (which is really T-Mobile and Orange in old speak). We had Virgin (which used T-Mobile) in the UK and we could use T-Mobile and Cricket over here, but not the others.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Thank everyone it seems T-Mobile works 😀👍 you guys have come to our rescue once again.
Old Aug 4th 2019, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

SJDiamond is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I went to buy a new phone in the UK, while waiting for my visa to come through. Luckily I mentioned this to the lady at Carphone Warehouse, who advised me to wait and get one when I got there, or in duty free, as the UK ones aren't compatible with some of the US networks.

SJD