Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Intern in USA, got a UK Girlfriend

UK Intern in USA, got a UK Girlfriend

Old Jan 1st 2006, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

cartz is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow UK Intern in USA, got a UK Girlfriend

ok, maybe this topic has been discussed many times before, so i will give a few reasons i feel warrent me to pst this new thread.
  1. This forsum is huge! i have had a relatively good search but cannot find my situation
  2. its the new year, new year, new thread!
  3. the visa process for the US is so complex!
  4. its free to post, so if i dont try, i wont know!

ok, now thats out the way, onto my post:

im currently living in the US as a intern an have been since Aug '05. My internship expires in Aug'06. As the title of post says, i have a Girlfriend back in the UK.

She orginally came out with me on the VWP for 3 months, returning back to the UK in Nov, after like 89 days. All was well, we planned my return to the UK for Xmas, and thought she would be back out in th New year.
Having heard much information about the VWP, and its limit of use to once per year, we thought it best for her to go the embassy and get a 6month tourist visa.

She attempted this and failed, we thought it would be a simple process, but she was told she couldnt show enough ties to the UK and finacial support.
The rjection came as a shock, and we were naive to belive it was simple. Mistake accepted.

But to move on,we want to find a way of getting her over legally. She says that the lady at the embassy marked her passport(and fingerprint) meaning she cannot come back on the VWP-not sure how true this, any advice?

my idea is to now look at obtaining this tourist visa by showing ties and money.

Please bear in mind we are only in late teens/early twenties, so money no exactly flowing out of our pockets. could someone here give us a target anount of money to acquire for her to show sufficent finacial support. are we talking £2000? £10000? £20000? Hopefully the lower!

in relation to ties, i had an idea for her to enroll on a college course for september(as we shall be back then).
also, she has a car on finance for a number of years, is this worth showing or best to keep quiet. as if we show it, they could ask how it will be paid while she is out there.

i think i shall finish this post now as i can see i will be visiting(and posting) number of times in the near future.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 7:08 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Intern in USA, got a UK Girlfriend

Originally Posted by cartz
ok, maybe this topic has been discussed many times before, so i will give a few reasons i feel warrent me to pst this new thread.
  1. This forsum is huge! i have had a relatively good search but cannot find my situation
  2. its the new year, new year, new thread!
  3. the visa process for the US is so complex!
  4. its free to post, so if i dont try, i wont know!

ok, now thats out the way, onto my post:

im currently living in the US as a intern an have been since Aug '05. My internship expires in Aug'06. As the title of post says, i have a Girlfriend back in the UK.

She orginally came out with me on the VWP for 3 months, returning back to the UK in Nov, after like 89 days. All was well, we planned my return to the UK for Xmas, and thought she would be back out in th New year.
Having heard much information about the VWP, and its limit of use to once per year, we thought it best for her to go the embassy and get a 6month tourist visa.

She attempted this and failed, we thought it would be a simple process, but she was told she couldnt show enough ties to the UK and finacial support.
The rjection came as a shock, and we were naive to belive it was simple. Mistake accepted.

But to move on,we want to find a way of getting her over legally. She says that the lady at the embassy marked her passport(and fingerprint) meaning she cannot come back on the VWP-not sure how true this, any advice?

my idea is to now look at obtaining this tourist visa by showing ties and money.

Please bear in mind we are only in late teens/early twenties, so money no exactly flowing out of our pockets. could someone here give us a target anount of money to acquire for her to show sufficent finacial support. are we talking £2000? £10000? £20000? Hopefully the lower!

in relation to ties, i had an idea for her to enroll on a college course for september(as we shall be back then).
also, she has a car on finance for a number of years, is this worth showing or best to keep quiet. as if we show it, they could ask how it will be paid while she is out there.

i think i shall finish this post now as i can see i will be visiting(and posting) number of times in the near future.
This post is really best suited to the US immigration related forums.

However, do you understand that even if your girlfriend obtained a Visitor Visa, she can't work? So, what we she be doing most of the time she was in the US?

You will be working as an intern most of the week so she'll be on her own.

If she can't show strong ties to the UK as well as having sufficient funds to finance her visit in the USA, her application for a Visitor Visa will fail.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 1st 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Its difficult in your situation - friends of ours have got this visa but based on the ability of the visa holder to support partner, also property ownership in the UK etc etc.

You were mis-informed about VWP as i have used it 5 times in one year before moving over here - obviously would not have told them she was coming to stay with you!!

She will probably struggle now as she has had a visa refused so even coming on VMP could be problematic. I think you are probably going to struggle but hopefully someone has some better advice for you.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 7:46 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I think that these denials are not permanent - they can be reversed or superseded. You need to take Patrick's advise on this one (I don't know much about this subject), but this link might give you an idea or two:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/de...ials_1361.html
Old Jan 1st 2006, 8:20 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Refused a Visa
While travelers who have been refused a visa under the provisions of Section 221(g) or 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act are not ineligible to travel visa under the Visa Waiver Program, they will be questioned by an immigration official at the U. S. port of entry regarding the refusal by the Embassy or Consulate.

The traveler should carry with him or her evidence of his or her intention to depart the United States at the end of the visit. This is generally satisfied by furnishing evidence of strong social and economic ties to the traveler's 's place of permanent residence. There is no set form that this should take as each person's circumstances differ.

Last edited by Patrick; Jan 1st 2006 at 8:22 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 9:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The chances of any young person getting a B-2 are slim ....but the refusal does not mean she cannot use the visa waiver ..if she leaves it to say March ...and try again .. She will be taken to secondary inspection for interview ..but play it straight and she should get in ...