Reload this Page >

UK Insurance Qualification's in USA

UK Insurance Qualification's in USA

Old Jan 12th 2015, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

bwa.gb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Insurance Qualification's in USA

Hi all,

Don't know if this is one that anybody can help me with? I'm currently engaged to a USC and to better myself I'm about to start a certificate in insurance with The Chartered Insurance Institute (CII).

Can anyone tell me if this is recognised in the US to employers?

Any help or guidance will be appreciated. I've looked online everywhere and can't find any useful information!
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Insurance Qualification's in USA

Information like this?

http://www.naic.org/state_web_map.htm

https://www.scic.com/

Insurance Agent Certification and Licensing Information

But in case you're asking specifically about the recognition of your proposed course. I don't think it will carry any weight in the U.S as each State has it's own requirements.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 12th 2015 at 9:39 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

Hi - Congrats on your engagement.

I'm in insurance in the USA and I would say a couple of things - any letters after your name here are a plus because people like to litter their email signatures with endless qualifications of varying significance. However, in terms of whether a US employer would recognize a Cert CII, I would say it is highly unlikely that they would have every heard of it. I came here with an ACII and I use it but I doubt anyone knows what it is.

Having something is better than nothing but if you are planning on moving here permanently, I would recommend going for an ARM or CIC depending on the type of insurance work you are hoping to go into. These will be much more helpful in getting into the industry here.

All the best either way.

Doug.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bwa.gb
Hi all,

Don't know if this is one that anybody can help me with? I'm currently engaged to a USC and to better myself I'm about to start a certificate in insurance with The Chartered Insurance Institute (CII).

Can anyone tell me if this is recognised in the US to employers?

Any help or guidance will be appreciated. I've looked online everywhere and can't find any useful information!
Google <insurance licenses>

You won't be permitted to much of anything without the appropriate state licenses (insurance is heavily regulated at the state level). I am not involved in the insurance business, but you might find it a bit of a chicken and egg situation, with many employers not willing to hire individuals who don't already hold the right licenses, but you might not be able to take the exams to get the licenses without a job in the insurance business.

Do you have a degree? I recall the insurance business in the UK was a popular career path for those who did not (want to) go to university. If you don't have a degree you may find yourself shut out of most white collar jobs, not just insurance.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 12th 2015 at 10:42 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

The state license is probably the least of your worries. You don't need a federal insurance license. You will have to become licensed in any state that you want to do business in but this is simple enough (assuming you will do business in one state) and generally revolves around a multiple choice test that's a pain but not over-demanding - especially if you already have insurance knowledge. Your employer will generally pay the cost of the license and your continuing education to maintain it.

Without knowing your circumstances, it is hard to comment on how difficult or not it will be to get a job here. It depends on your education, prior experience, expectations, connections and significantly upon the economic environment of the area you would be living in.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

bwa.gb is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm 23. Been in insurance primarily dealing in the commercial motor section for 3 years now. Only education is 8 GCSE's and National Diploma in Forensic Science which has now proved useless to me. I'm currently an account handler for a wholesale online broker so I deal with a lot of underwriting queries. I am looking to move to Tennessee.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 23. Been in insurance primarily dealing in the commercial motor section for 3 years now. Only education is 8 GCSE's and National Diploma in Forensic Science which has now proved useless to me now.
Ugh. You may have a problem, because there is a pervasive requirement in the US for a bachelors degree that applies to many jobs for which there is no logical need to have a degree. You should seriously consider taking steps towards getting a degree in something, .....anything, and you should be able to get some credits towards a degree for the diploma you already hold.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 23. Been in insurance primarily dealing in the commercial motor section for 3 years now. Only education is 8 GCSE's and National Diploma in Forensic Science which has now proved useless to me. I'm currently an account handler for a wholesale online broker so I deal with a lot of underwriting queries. I am looking to move to Tennessee.
Sounds like your starting point would be to get the education you have assessed against U.S. standards. However, since you don't have A-Levels, you might struggle to even get awarded the equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma, even if you have a U.K. diploma. But you have to start somewhere. NACES Home

A professional level qualification like ACII might add some value in industry circles if combined with a degree and U.S. state licensing. A sub-professional certificate (such as what you mention) is unlikely to be worth anything in the employment market and I'm not even sure if it could be translated into any credits against a U.S. qualification.

If you see your future in the United States and want to improve your education, you should probably be looking at community college options in the area you settle.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

The road ahead is not necessarily easy but that doesn't mean it's hopeless. There are apparently insurance agents who will hire people without a full degree but you may have to work your way up from the bottom rung. Use anything to your advantage - maybe the in laws have some local connections? I wouldn't get too hung up on insurance either unless you really love it. Maybe consider investing in some vocationally specific training eg IT, medical technician etc. Look at where the demand is in the area you are looking to live.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Which side of Tennessee? Unum is based in Chattanooga and employs about 3000 people there.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Dougster75
...... Maybe consider investing in some vocationally specific training eg IT, medical technician etc. Look at where the demand is in the area you are looking to live.
For many of those, specifically including the two you mentioned, it may be tough to break in, or go far, without a degree, at least an Associates Degree (a community college "diploma"). If the OP has an aversion to further education, a trade such as plumber or electrician may be worth looking into.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Plumbing!
We're at risk of a tangent Pulaski...
Old Jan 13th 2015, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Plumbing!
We're at risk of a tangent Pulaski...
Is using an exclamation mark allowed under the new "pleasant" rules?
Old Jan 13th 2015, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It was an excited exclamation mark as opposed to the commonly used aggressive variety.