Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Insolvency Administrator wants to move to USA

UK Insolvency Administrator wants to move to USA

Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

donnamichelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking UK Insolvency Administrator wants to move to USA

My husband is an insolvency manager in UK and we want to move to USA. How would he find the equivalent job? I have read the all about the british policeman (poor sod) not getting in, and know that here insolvency is account based - apparently in US it is lawyer based - is that correct? We did also think of investing in a business or buying one as a second choice but would prefer the first option. Oh we are married and have two kids. I have my own wedding stationery business and no criminal records. We have friends in US but no immediate family - do i need to say anything else? Someone please help!!

Last edited by donnamichelle; Oct 11th 2007 at 3:41 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Insolvency Administrator wants to move to USA

link up top on ways to get in to the US, read that, and if you fit in one of them, ask away otherwise it's a waste of time.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bob, i did read the How to..... and i know we cannot be sponsored as we have no immediate family there only friends. I know we can invest or buy a business but our first choice would be for my husband to work there. I just cannot find out how different their insolvency system is or if there is a conversion course he can take. He does not mind taking a level or two down the ladder either. x
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

H1B visa is really hard to get, for a start it's rather expensive for the employer, the employer would have to apply for the visa in April for that following Oct start next year, you as spouse wouldn't be allowed to work, and also all the visa's filled the quota within a day this year....

That leaves company transfer, but that doesn't sound like an option.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnamichelle
My husband is an insolvency manager in UK and we want to move to USA. How would he find the equivalent job? I have read the all about the british policeman (poor sod) not getting in, and know that here insolvency is account based - apparently in US it is lawyer based - is that correct? We did also think of investing in a business or buying one as a second choice but would prefer the first option. Oh we are married and have two kids. I have my own wedding stationery business and no criminal records. We have friends in US but no immediate family - do i need to say anything else? Someone please help!!
You might want to ask yourself why you want to move to the US. Even some those who are here legally aren't entirely happy. Just read past threads.

For starters, there is dissatisfaction about healthcare (and costs), education (and costs), cost of insurance (many types).
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:46 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
You might want to ask yourself why you want to move to the US. Even some those who are here legally aren't entirely happy. Just read past threads.

For starters, there is dissatisfaction about healthcare (and costs), education (and costs), cost of insurance (many types).
dissatisfaction with the life threatening Fauna too! - see the snake...... thread for more information
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:49 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

do i need to say anything else?
Yes you do.

preferably

"I have £1 million stashed in the bank"
or
"My Dad was an American GI and I have a US Passport"
or
"I was born in Oklahoma and moved to the UK when I was 7"
or
"My parents are from Bangladesh and we entered and won the diversity visa lottery"

saying things like that will help a lot.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What's an insolvency manager? His UKC-ness didn't know.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:20 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
What's an insolvency manager? His UKC-ness didn't know.
Bankruptcy manager?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Bankruptcy manager?
That's what it sounds like to me, but the UKC thought not.

(lol, he suggested I look it up in Adobe Dictionary. I don't know what he thinks sometimes...)
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys - an insolvency manager is a bankruptcy person - he gets appointed (usually by banks) to go into a company to see if they are solvent and if they are not he decides whether to sell them or close them etc. The main objective is to get creditors their money they are owed. Who would do this job in the US? I am under the impression the lawyers do it.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celsius

Hi Celsius - thanks for your comments but have you seen the healthcare here in the UK, the cost of petrol, the amount of money the government make you pay, the stupid ideas they come up with....oh and the fact that we cannot fly a union jack:curse: England is quickly disappearing! xx
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Bankruptcy Attorney are the way here so he would need a law degree
so the job chances are limited as are the availability of work visas

The other ways possible are if you existing business is big enough i.e.
about 10 employees .. and a chance of a Company Transfer Work Visa

but realistically the E-2 visa where you buy a business in the US
is about the only chance ...but this has faults ..No Green card possibility
if the business fail ..you leave .children leave at 21 .
One small benefit ...one spouse can get their own EAD and
work at anything
Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:01 pm

Hi guys - an insolvency manager is a bankruptcy person - he gets appointed (usually by banks) to go into a company to see if they are solvent and if they are not he decides whether to sell them or close them etc. The main objective is to get creditors their money they are owed. Who would do this job in the US? I am under the impression the lawyers do it.
I think this job is usually done by a bankruptcy 'trustee', and they are appointed by the court after a bankruptcy filing. There are a couple of different types of bankruptcy, and yes, they are usually filed by a company or individual under a lawyer's supervision.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Celsius - thanks for your comments but have you seen the healthcare here in the UK, the cost of petrol, the amount of money the government make you pay, the stupid ideas they come up with....oh and the fact that we cannot fly a union jack:curse: England is quickly disappearing! xx
HORSESHIT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.