Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Identity Card

UK Identity Card

Old Dec 25th 2006, 9:44 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Identity Card

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
Total bullshit ...in what way does having a form of verifiable id infringe any civil liberties ?

I lived in the UK for over 38 years and never once suffered police harassmant ....unless them phoning to say that they had arrested some arsehole who had burgled an elerly relatives house counts

When I lived and played rugby in the south of France I was required to carry ID at all times ....that was such a big chore as well ...

Like I said before ... if you have nothing to hide then it won't matter one jot
Never been arrested, never been harrassed, but...........

"I am not a number I am a free man" or at least, I am until they implant the RFID chip into me so they can scan my presence at airports.

There may be cases where the impantation of RFID in a person is valid. Released pedophiles for instance, so it could be known if they were in the vicinity of a school, but to require compulsory ID for everyone is only a stone's throw from tattooing Jews with a serial number.

If you trust the government enough to allow them to impliment compulsory ID for law-abiding legal residents then you have a lot more faith in your elected "leaders" than I have.

As I am both a British Citizen and a legal US Resident would I have to carry 2 IDs, and track their validity in 2 countries ? This is a bag of bullshit just waiting to burst.

Last edited by TRPardoe; Dec 25th 2006 at 9:49 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 9:47 pm

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is time for a poll:

I am in favour of compulsory ID

I am not in favour of compulsory ID

How do you set one up ?
Old Dec 25th 2006, 11:49 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
As I am both a British Citizen and a legal US Resident would I have to carry 2 IDs, and track their validity in 2 countries ? This is a bag of bullshit just waiting to burst.
A couple of minor details they want* on the cards:

Originally Posted by BBC
- the number of any passport issued to the individual by or on behalf of the authorities of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom or by or on behalf of an international organisation

- the number of any document that can be used by them (in some or all circumstances) instead of a passport;

- the number of any identity card issued to him/her by the authorities of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4630045.stm
*unimplementable IMHO, and would inconveniently force recognition of dual citizenship if they did implement it.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 2:36 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG

The German Jews had 'nothing to hide', until Hitler took power and being Jewish became a capital offence. Just imagine the implications if a party like the BNP gain power in the UK with Blair's police state all ready for them to abuse.
....when I read trip like this its no wonder I rarely look back with any misty eyed sentiment... The history of 1930's Europe is far removed from any discussion on identity cards ...The BNP have as much chance in national politics as the Raving Looney Party ..and the UK is anything but a police state ....The soft arsed left wing judges have left the UK justice system a criminals dream ...
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:00 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
The German Jews had 'nothing to hide', until Hitler took power and being Jewish became a capital offence. Just imagine the implications if a party like the BNP gain power in the UK with Blair's police state all ready for them to abuse.
And you were doing so well too....
Old Dec 26th 2006, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

GaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud of

....when I read trip like this its no wonder I rarely look back with any misty eyed sentiment... The history of 1930's Europe is far removed from any discussion on identity cards ...The BNP have as much chance in national politics as the Raving Looney Party ..and the UK is anything but a police state ....The soft arsed left wing judges have left the UK justice system a criminals dream ...
Well, if you've been reading the Guardian recently, you'll know that the BNP is getting increasing support even from the higher ends of British society, and that they've been making notable electoral gains in the local elections in London.

In addition, the police have implemented an automatic number plate recognition system for certain routes, so that whenever I leave or enter Brighton, my plates are scanned and compared against a database. Suppose there is an error in the database and I'm pulled over for no reason? Having worked in the public sector in the UK, I can tell you that mistakes are made staggeringly often!

...and as to the criminal justice system: in my opinion it's one of the more harsh systems in Europe. No other country has come up with ASBOs or any similarly insane programmes of social Darwinism! I think the UK should look to the Nordic countries when it comes to sentencing, punishment and rehabilitation.

One of those Christmassy rants I suppose
Old Dec 26th 2006, 4:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaryK
Well, if you've been reading the Guardian recently, you'll know that the BNP is getting increasing support even from the higher ends of British society, and that they've been making notable electoral gains in the local elections in London.
I think your a raving loonie to be frank ..

from the BNP site
The idea that seriously rich and influential people might have as much concern about their children's future prospects in their own country as the legions of decent but less monied working people across the UK seems to have landed the Guardian newspaper in a bit of a muddle.

Estate agents, company directors, actors and influential people close to the Royal Family are joining the BNP, getting involved and making donations.

Estate Agents ... the echelon of society ... your having a laff ...
Old Dec 26th 2006, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that 10% of British citizens now live abroad. Here's a reason why more will.

Everyone should read this article from today's Daily Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...2/24/nid24.xml

One more reason to get US citizenship and ditch Blighty for good.
I think you and I have similar views on civil liberties and ID cards. Have a think about the article you linked to though,

Its in the Telegraph and is built around a quote from the shadow Home Secretary.

None of the other press has picked it up.

It is about a proposal that is unlikely to happen - the conservatives have already promised not to introduce ID cards and the PLP is uneasy about them.

Your suggested solution (getting US citizenship) suggests that you haven't been paying much attention to the raft of measures introduced in the name of "the war against terror" and "patriotism".
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Rompers
I think you and I have similar views on civil liberties and ID cards. Have a think about the article you linked to though,

Its in the Telegraph and is built around a quote from the shadow Home Secretary.

None of the other press has picked it up.

It is about a proposal that is unlikely to happen - the conservatives have already promised not to introduce ID cards and the PLP is uneasy about them.

Your suggested solution (getting US citizenship) suggests that you haven't been paying much attention to the raft of measures introduced in the name of "the war against terror" and "patriotism".
Naah - I am just having a tweak.........my own feelings about this administation (or any other) will stay private until after I have my own US citizenship. Trust nobody.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:18 am

The sudden rise of the Nazi party surprised the whole of Europe.

Never underestimate the ability of the masses to forkit up for a brilliant orator.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Total bullshit ...in what way does having a form of verifiable id infringe any civil liberties ?

I lived in the UK for over 38 years and never once suffered police harassmant ....unless them phoning to say that they had arrested some arsehole who had burgled an elerly relatives house counts

When I lived and played rugby in the south of France I was required to carry ID at all times ....that was such a big chore as well ...

Like I said before ... if you have nothing to hide then it won't matter one jot
Give us a good reason for one and maybe we'll listen....
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There are no plans to issue ID cards to British citizens living outside the United Kingdom.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

I believe that 10% of British citizens now live abroad. Here's a reason why more will.

Everyone should read this article from today's Daily Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...2/24/nid24.xml

One more reason to get US citizenship and ditch Blighty for good.

I don’t understand what the problem is here, here in canada you need id for just about everything, which is fine with me because it stops fraud (well helps) and stops others using my identiy, it really arrrrs me when people in england believe all of that crap the newspapers print about life in the UK and how its going down the drain! Get over it! Life is life and UK offers a great standard of living, no where is perfect…..

I think it’s the british in us, we all seem to moan about anything and everything ( something I don’t miss)

The newspaper here make out everything to rosie-lee when it isnt.

ID cards are a great idea
Old Apr 27th 2007, 6:58 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I found my National Registration Identity Card. They were issued at age sixteen and mine is datestamped for my sixteenth birthday in1951. According to wiki, they were discontinued in 1951, but I believe I carried mine till I did my National Service in 1956, it certainly looks like it.

I also found this take on a new National Identity Card.ID Cards
Attached Thumbnails UK Identity Card-scan0001.jpg  
Old Apr 29th 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I found my National Registration Identity Card. They were issued at age sixteen and mine is datestamped for my sixteenth birthday in1951. According to wiki, they were discontinued in 1951, but I believe I carried mine till I did my National Service in 1956, it certainly looks like it.

I also found this take on a new National Identity Card.ID Cards
We don't need them and we don't want them. Once in China it was possible to travel without identity papers, until Mao that is. Our children will know that until Blair it was possible to travel in Britain without identity papers.

A sad, wretched and unnecessary end to British civil liberties. All I can say is thank God they're going to get a good kicking in the May elections. They deserve it. Like Ming Campbell said on TV this morning, there is no longer a choice between Left and Right in Britain, just authoritarianism and liberalism.

Choose wisely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.