British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK HMRC Tax investigation and P85 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-hmrc-tax-investigation-p85-532524/)

Bitzi Apr 27th 2008 1:04 pm

UK HMRC Tax investigation and P85

Did you all fill out the P85 form when you left the UK and if so did you do it before you left, after you left, after you closed escrow, what's the maximum amount of time you took?

Several months after I started my E2 journey the tax man decided to open up one of those random enquries into a past tax year. I thought it would all be sorted out but it's still dragging on and I'm due to fly out to the US very soon.

Do you know if the US Embassy and HMRC are linked? Will HMRC already secretly know I have been applying for an E2 and now have it?

I am not trying to hide anything by any means but I don't want the tax man to get all jittery unneccessarily by thinking I am fleeing the UK to avoid payment of taxes.

WelshDebzs Apr 27th 2008 2:12 pm

Re: UK HMRC Tax investigation and P85

Originally Posted by Bitzi (Post 6272127)
Did you all fill out the P85 form when you left the UK and if so did you do it before you left, after you left, after you closed escrow, what's the maximum amount of time you took?

Several months after I started my E2 journey the tax man decided to open up one of those random enquries into a past tax year. I thought it would all be sorted out but it's still dragging on and I'm due to fly out to the US very soon.

Do you know if the US Embassy and HMRC are linked? Will HMRC already secretly know I have been applying for an E2 and now have it?

I am not trying to hide anything by any means but I don't want the tax man to get all jittery unneccessarily by thinking I am fleeing the UK to avoid payment of taxes.

Hey

I work for HMRC and just saw your thread not moving to US myself hopefully going to Oz.

We can go back on anyones record for a period of 6 years and you are probably a random check we can look back further but need the ok for that.

As you would expect I am going to say everyone should complete a P85 as it might work in your fav you might get something back:)

Good Luck

Debzsx

Bitzi Apr 27th 2008 3:11 pm

Thanks for replying, I'm glad you're in the know.
Is there a timeframe for sending the P85 in. I was thinking of doing it once I've actually signed on business, because if it falls through then I'd probably have to return to the UK to start again which means I haven't really left the UK.

I'd planned on sending it in about 6 weeks after I'd left the UK.

Also I am aware that you can go back into further years etc and this is why my enquiry has gone on longer than I thought.

Can I deal with it all whilst I am abroad via my accountant as I am doing now?
Please re-assure me, the HMRC can't stop me from moving abroad during the open enquiry can they? I've been 100% quick and forthcoming in providing all documents and answering all questions.
Thanks

Bitzi Apr 27th 2008 3:23 pm

Sorry Debz I also meant to ask you does the HMRC already know I am intending to move abroad because the Embassies and HMRC are linked?
(shared information and all that!)

Of course if you can't respond due to divulging business practices etc, then just say "no comment" and I'll understand ;)

Bob Apr 27th 2008 8:28 pm

I filled it in before I left the UK and had my mother file it in the local office for me and the bloke there that she saw was great....took a while, but I got my tax money back without any problems, but wasn't talking large sums of money.

GinaUK Apr 28th 2008 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Bitzi (Post 6272551)
Sorry Debz I also meant to ask you does the HMRC already know I am intending to move abroad because the Embassies and HMRC are linked?
(shared information and all that!)

Embassies and HMRC are not linked. Unless you told HMRC that you're moving abroad they won't know. Yes, you can continue to sort out your UK tax affairs from abroad through your accountant.

Gina

BritishGuy36 Apr 28th 2008 9:28 pm

Sorry what is a P85? And do all expats need to fill one in when they bust outa Britain?

Bob Apr 29th 2008 2:18 am

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 6279803)
Sorry what is a P85? And do all expats need to fill one in when they bust outa Britain?

You don't have to fill it in, but it's worth doing.

It informs the inland revenue that your not a resident of the UK and that if you are due any tax you have over paid, you'll get a refund on it as the tax you pay is what's expected if over a period of a year, so if you leave towards the end of the year you'll be up for less of a refund, but it's money all the same.

BritishGuy36 Apr 29th 2008 7:21 am

Woohoo! I'll hopefully be leaving about 3 or 4 months into the financial year, so hopefully that means I would get some tax back!

Thanks.