Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK High Court summons to non-UK resident

UK High Court summons to non-UK resident

Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:51 pm
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK High Court summons to non-UK resident

I'm not being sued for anything, somebody threatened me with legal action over a civil matter and I just wanted to know if they would be able to actually do anything that's all. Many Thanks.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megalaser
I'm not being sued for anything, somebody threatened me with legal action over a civil matter and I just wanted to know if they would be able to actually do anything that's all. Many Thanks.
OK but what made you mention the High Court as opposed to a County Court. If it was a threat to take something to a County Court forget it. The High Court I wouldn't be so casual about it.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:57 pm
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of

I don't think the County Court would even be able to serve a non-UK resident. Some matters are only relevant to the high courts.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the civil rules of the UK court. First job is to work out if they can serve you. Can't be bothered to go and look up what treaties the US has and has not entered, but that would be the next part.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/guidance/c...6.htm#IDA142HC
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the County Court would even be able to serve a non-UK resident. Some matters are only relevant to the high courts.
At least give us a hint as to what the matter is, that way we may be able to gauge the seriousness of the matter.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:37 pm
James Chesterton

You've been very helpful already, thank you.