Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK guy getting married in the US Very Soon whilst on holiday there. Need urgent info

UK guy getting married in the US Very Soon whilst on holiday there. Need urgent info

Old Dec 3rd 2002, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

RemainAnonymous is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK guy getting married in the US Very Soon whilst on holiday there. Need urgent info

Hi,

I am planning a holiday to the US in the next month, I was due to stay with the lady in question but in a short space of time we have decided to get married whilst I am in the US for this visit. I have no immediate intention of residing in the US, I will be returning to the UK the following week. My question is this:

Is there anything that will stop us getting married? I am not intending to defraud the US system in any way, but will they insist on seeing some other legal documentation?

This is the for the State of Illinois if that makes any difference.

Thanks
RA
Old Dec 4th 2002, 9:05 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK guy getting married in the US Very Soon whilst on holiday there. Need urgent info

Originally posted by RemainAnonymous
Hi,

I am planning a holiday to the US in the next month, I was due to stay with the lady in question but in a short space of time we have decided to get married whilst I am in the US for this visit. I have no immediate intention of residing in the US, I will be returning to the UK the following week. My question is this:

Is there anything that will stop us getting married? I am not intending to defraud the US system in any way, but will they insist on seeing some other legal documentation?

This is the for the State of Illinois if that makes any difference.

Thanks
RA
As long as you are going to return to the UK after marriage there is no problem and you need no other visa. You should (always anyway when visiting girlfriends/fiances) take evidence to support the fact you will be returning back.

Patrick
Old Dec 4th 2002, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Default Thank You.

I will be taking my passport and my drivers license to the ceremony as evidence. I guess
that I will also take my airline tickts to
prove my intention to fly home again, that
should cover it right?

It's been mentioned to me that I need a blood
test to get married in the states, is this true?
Is it possible to get it done over here, anyone
have any ideas about this?

Thanks
RA
Old Dec 4th 2002, 10:48 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thank You.

I will be taking my passport and my drivers license to the ceremony as evidence. I guess
that I will also take my airline tickts to
prove my intention to fly home again, that
should cover it right?

It's been mentioned to me that I need a blood
test to get married in the states, is this true?
Is it possible to get it done over here, anyone
have any ideas about this?

Thanks
RA
I don't think you need to take tickets to the ceremony, you will only need proof you intend to return to the uk at your poe (entry point into the us). Its the INS you have to convince you are not staying not the priest.

Patrick
Old Dec 4th 2002, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Default Thanks again mate!

Do you have nay idea about this blood test thing though? It doesn't sound likely to me, but apparently it might be a legal requirement....

Anyone know?
Old Dec 4th 2002, 11:27 am
Meg
Just Joined

Meg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage & Blood Tests

Do you have nay idea about this blood test thing though? It doesn't sound likely to me, but apparently it might be a legal requirement....

Anyone know?
Hiya,
It all depends on the state you're getting married in. Before you can get married in the US you have to have a marriage license that you apply for at the County Courthouse usually. I'm not from Illinois, so I had to do a bit of searching, but here is what I came up with in regards to applying for the license:

The County Clerk's office will ask for proof of your age. This can be your birth certificate, baptismal certificate, driver's license, or certain other documents.

The County Clerk will also want to see satisfactory results from a blood test. You must visit a doctor for this test within fifteen days before obtaining the license. The doctor must find that you have no venereal disease and certify that fact to the County Clerk.

After the license is issued to you, you must wait at least one day before being married. The license must be used within 60 days or it expires.

Got this from http://www.chicagobar.org/public/diallaw/1.asp if you want to take a look yourself. The search I had the best results with was 'Getting married in Illinois'

Best of luck!!
Old Dec 4th 2002, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ivonne is an unknown quantity at this point

This is not true, you don't need a blood test in Illinois.

Check out the Homepage of the Illinois Department of public health:

http://www.idph.state.il.us/vital/forms/marriage.htm

There are all informations that you need.

This is, what the site sais:
The Marriage License: Where do you get one?

A couple who intends to be married in Illinois must apply in person for a marriage license to any county clerk's office (List of counties and county seats in PDF Format, 70K), in the state. There is no residency requirement for out-of-state applicants. While applicants may apply for a license in any county, the license is only effective in the county where issued. Therefore, the marriage must be solemnized in the county where you obtained your license.

The application for a license must be signed by both the bride and groom in the presence of the county clerk. A representative cannot apply for the license on behalf of the bride or groom. This applies even if the representative has been given the power of attorney. Notarized marriage license affidavits signed by the bride and groom cannot be substituted for her or his personal appearance.

Is there a waiting period?

Yes. Illinois has a one-day waiting period. For example, if the license is applied for on Wednesday, the marriage may occur on Thursday. For just cause, the one-day waiting period may be waived by petitioning the court.

How long is the license valid?

A marriage license is valid for 60 days, beginning the day after it is issued.

How much does it cost?

The fee for a marriage license in Illinois is $15, payable at the time of application.

Is a premarital exam by a physician required?

No premarital physical examination or blood test is required to obtain a marriage license in Illinois.

Are there any age or consent requirements for minors?

Applicants who are 16 to 17 years of age must have parental or guardian consent. This requirement can be waived by a court. No person younger than 16 years of age can be married in Illinois. Proof of age (e.g., birth certificate, passport, driver's license, employment certificate, etc.) may be required.

Does Illinois restrict some marriages?

Certain marriages are prohibited in Illinois. These include marriages entered into prior to the dissolution of an earlier marriage of one of the parties; those between an ancestor and a descendant or between a brother and sister, whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood or by adoption; and those between an uncle and a niece or between an aunt and a nephew. Generally, marriages between cousins of the first degree are prohibited; however, first cousins may marry if --

both parties are 50 years of age or older; or
either party, at the time the couple applies for a marriage license, presents to the county clerk of the county in which the marriage is to take place a certificate signed by a licensed physician stating that the party to the proposed marriage is permanently and irreversibly sterile.
Are there any special requirements for those individuals who have been previously married?

Information regarding how previous marriages ended must be furnished in the application for a marriage license. This includes whether the former spouse died or was divorced and, if so, when and where the divorce was granted. A certified copy of the divorce decree(s) or certificate(s) of dissolution of marriage may be required by the clerk issuing the marriage license.

Is a marriage ceremony required?

No particular ceremony is required except that the parties must state in the presence of an authorized member of the clergy or a public official that they take each other as husband and wife.

Who can perform a marriage ceremony?

To be valid, a marriage ceremony must be performed by one of the following individuals:

a judge of a court of record or a retired judge of a court of record
the county clerk in counties having 2 million or more inhabitants (Cook County)
a public official whose powers include solemnizing marriages
an officiant performing the marriage in accordance with the prescriptions of any religious denomination, Indian nation or tribe or native group
The person solemnizing the marriage must complete the marriage certificate form and forward it to the county clerk within 10 days after such marriage is solemnized.

Where can I get copies of my marriage license?

Certified copies of marriage records are available from the county clerk in the county where the marriage occurred. The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) does not issue certified copies of marriage records.

For a $5 fee, IDPH can verify the facts of marriage from 1962 to the present. To obtain a verification, complete the Application for Verification of Marriage Record Files, 68K, available in PDF format from this server or write to IDPH and provide both parties' names and the date and place of the occurrence, if known. Send your request to --

Illinois Department of Public Health
Division of Vital Records
605 W. Jefferson St.
Springfield, IL 62702-5097

Make check or money order payable to the Illinois Department of Public Health. DO NOT SEND CASH.

On average, requests are processed within 30 working days.

The Illinois Department of Public Health Division of Vital Records is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., excluding holidays. The phone number is 217-782-6553 (TTY, hearing impaired use only, 800-547-0466).