Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uk groceries in USA

Uk groceries in USA

Old May 27th 2021, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Ann257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Uk groceries in USA

Good morning, not sure where to put this thread.
We would like to sell uk groceries here, am aware there are a lot of places doing this already but am sure that as it’s so popular another company coming along will not hurt. Does anyone here have any experience in doing this, I have done some research online but have come to a dead end. Any advice or help will be much appreciated
Thank you
Old May 27th 2021, 1:52 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk groceries in USA

Are you planning on opening a shop or just have an online store?

I know we have a UK shop in our area, but I haven't been desperate enough to pay the high prices (I know it's not cheap to ship and import goods from the UK). There is certainly plenty of people (not just Brits) who are prepared to pay the price and keep the shop open. In fact, they have also branched out into having a food truck serving fish and chips with mushy peas (amongst other UK delicacies).
Old May 27th 2021, 2:19 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Almost all of the popular UK groceries can be bought on Amazon. Have you looked at opening up a store with them? You will of course be competing with many others and the prices on Amazon are very competitive.
Old May 27th 2021, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ann257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond reputeAnn257 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
Are you planning on opening a shop or just have an online store?

I know we have a UK shop in our area, but I haven't been desperate enough to pay the high prices (I know it's not cheap to ship and import goods from the UK). There is certainly plenty of people (not just Brits) who are prepared to pay the price and keep the shop open. In fact, they have also branched out into having a food truck serving fish and chips with mushy peas (amongst other UK delicacies).
we were thinking of doing both, I love the idea of the fish and chips van and afternoon tea as well! I buy a few bits from publix but would love to stock more, as per the message below, I did wonder about selling on Amazon as well, need to look into this. I just don’t know how to start with the distribution from uk.
Old May 27th 2021, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
Almost all of the popular UK groceries can be bought on Amazon. Have you looked at opening up a store with them? You will of course be competing with many others and the prices on Amazon are very competitive.
have answered in the above thread, thanks for this. I would like to do both online and a physical shop so Amazon could really work
Old May 27th 2021, 3:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My former neighborhood of 40 years was heavily Irish. Each of the stores, and one in particular, were heavy into providing groceries for the neighborhood and while it was Irish, the candies, chips, bread, chocolates were all British. They sold Walker chips, every candy bar such as Double Deckers, Bird's custard, Bisto or is that Bistro gravy grandulars, etc. The Butcher's Fancy next store to them sold steak and kidney pie, bangers and mash, etc. Look to see if you have a shop in your area that is heavily populated by the Irish. This would go a long way in selling your products locally.
Old May 27th 2021, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The three bricks and mortar UK grocery shops around me have all closed, presumably because of online competition. Ditto the Irish store in SF. I do go to a couple of "English" fish and chip places and a pretty decent afternoon tea cafe, and get my fix of English candy from two Indian and one Middle Eastern grocery stores.
Old May 27th 2021, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken a couple of visits to Wright's Fish and Chip Shop in Cumming GA. They sell UK produce onsite as well and originally sourced it personally. They have now set up a wholesale agreement with a company in the UK to get lower prices by buying in bulk. Sounds like your plan - they are very popular from what I can tell, just for the Fish and Chips alone. The UK stuff creates an interesting ambience for the customers and I've seen a few pick up a few items out of curiosity. I on the other hand rock up with an Cooler ready to stock up - getting anything delivered to us in summer is asking from trouble here. My Dairy Milks become Chocolate Milks.

I believe they use britshcornershop.co.uk which has a Wholesale section.
Old May 27th 2021, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robtuck
I've taken a couple of visits to Wright's Fish and Chip Shop in Cumming GA. They sell UK produce onsite as well and originally sourced it personally. They have now set up a wholesale agreement with a company in the UK to get lower prices by buying in bulk. Sounds like your plan - they are very popular from what I can tell, just for the Fish and Chips alone. The UK stuff creates an interesting ambience for the customers and I've seen a few pick up a few items out of curiosity. I on the other hand rock up with an Cooler ready to stock up - getting anything delivered to us in summer is asking from trouble here. My Dairy Milks become Chocolate Milks.

I believe they use britshcornershop.co.uk which has a Wholesale section.
Thank you all so much for the quick responses, will look into britushcornershop for wholesale.
👏🏼
Old May 27th 2021, 7:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The Brit store in the UK that ships out here is popular.

Need to have a decent online store to keep up, but it's always shipping that's where they break down. Sweets melt in the summer, expensive shipping etc.

Down my way, there's a bunch of Brit stores, and a bunch of Indian grocery stores that have a bunch of Brit stuff. Hard to compete unless you've got something different to offer. One that does well is a cafe, with stuff to sell on the side. Could perhaps do a fish and chip, or pie shop, something the locals would like, and then sell Brit stuff as a bonus on the side.
Old May 27th 2021, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
The Brit store in the UK that ships out here is popular.

Need to have a decent online store to keep up, but it's always shipping that's where they break down. Sweets melt in the summer, expensive shipping etc.

Down my way, there's a bunch of Brit stores, and a bunch of Indian grocery stores that have a bunch of Brit stuff. Hard to compete unless you've got something different to offer. One that does well is a cafe, with stuff to sell on the side. Could perhaps do a fish and chip, or pie shop, something the locals would like, and then sell Brit stuff as a bonus on the side.
yes think that’s the way to go, thank you
going to look at locations in the next few weeks
Old May 28th 2021, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Anrev is an unknown quantity at this point

I always think an old red London bus would be good as a British cafe/shop. I imagine it would be too expensive to import one though.
Old May 28th 2021, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Anrev
I always think an old red London bus would be good as a British cafe/shop. I imagine it would be too expensive to import one though.
I have seen one in largo Florida! They sell fish and chips (I haven’t tried them yet but it looks great)
Old May 28th 2021, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anrev
Someone just purchased and remodeled a "sort of London Bus" in my old town in the UK, Swindon. Cost them 20k I think, so you'd need to add in the import costs. They are using it as a Gin and Prosecco bar, but I imagine it would work well as the Fish and Chips option mentioned above as well, or a British Cafe. Often wondered if selling British Empanadas would work (Pasties) in breaking down any confusion.

Last edited by robtuck; May 28th 2021 at 2:16 pm.
Old May 28th 2021, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robtuck
Someone just purchased an remodeled a "sort of London Bus" in my old town in the UK, Swindon. Cost the 20k I think, so you'd need to add in the import costs. They are using it as a Gin and Prosecco bar, but I imagine it would work well as the Fish and Chips option mentioned above as well, or a British Cafe. Often wondered if selling British Empanadas would work (Pasties) in breaking down any confusion.
we moved here from Swindon last year!
Maybe we could introduce pimms here too 😉

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.