Reload this Page >

UK Graduate hoping to study in the USA

UK Graduate hoping to study in the USA

Old Jul 20th 2012, 10:30 pm
Banned

Chlozo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Graduate hoping to study in the USA

Hello everyone,

I've recently graduated from a leading russell group university, and I had hoped to do a masters at the University of Leeds in Marketing and Advertising, but I've started to look into my options abroad.

I noticed that New York University do a masters programme, called 'Integrated Marketing' MSC. After looking at the different modules of the course, I really do like the sound of the course, it seems much more 'up my street' compared to the course at Leeds.

Integrated Marketing Course Outline
I can't seem to see how long the programme lasts either... which is a little annoying. I assume it's longer than 12 months?

I know that universities in the USA charge a huge amount compared to that of UK universities, so I decided to look around the NYU pages for any information. So far, I've come across this page: Fees at NYU. To be honest, this page has just really confused me about the costs. Could anyone make it a little clearer / give me a figure for overall costs? I don't know if it's just be being a little blonde!

I realise that I have probably missed the application date for international students, so when would my next available date to apply be? (assuming I can afford it through working / savings).

I assume my boyfriend would be unable to come with me if I do want to apply to the course?

Also, how respected is a degree from NYU? What would UK employers think about it?

Any advice would be brilliant!

Last edited by Chlozo; Jul 20th 2012 at 11:48 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Graduate hoping to study in the USA

I'd suggest you contact the Admissions office at SCPS for the fees/time information you're looking for:

Phone: (212) 998-7100
E-mail: [email protected]
Hours: Mon.-Thurs., 9-6 pm and Fri., 9-5 pm

As to how is NYU regarded - I'd say Stern Business School is internationally respected, NYU as a whole is also well known and respected, SCPS would be less well known and less respected - but I doubt UK employers would even get to the SCPS level so I wouldn't worry.

Visa-wise, assuming you are not American, and just plan to try getting a student visa, your boyfriend (assuming he is not American) would have no rights to come with you.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chlozo
I assume my boyfriend would be unable to come with me if I do want to apply to the course?
There could be 2 options for your boyfriend to come to the USA. If you are not cohabitating, he can make trips on the VWP as a visitor, for up to 90 days per stay. He should not make back-to-back trips. General rule of thumb is to stay outside the USA longer than you were just inside, before attempting another VWP visit. He won't be allowed to work while physically in the USA, not even for a company based outside the USA.

If you've been cohabitating and can prove it, he can apply for a B-2 cohabitating partner visa, which might allow him to stay 6 months to 1 year on each entry. Also allows easier back-to-back travel. He won't be allowed to work while physically in the USA, not even for a company based outside the USA.

The alternative is to get married, then he can come over on an F-2 dependent visa. But I believe he still would not be able to work in the USA, even for a company based outside the USA.

Rene
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

I did a few courses at the NYU SCPS - no doubt it varies by area of study but my experience there was excellent.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:46 pm
Banned

Chlozo is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Thank you all for your very quick replies and useful information! I've just e-mailed the application office, so hopefully I will receive a reply early next week.

It's great to see that NYU has a good reputation, and that experiences of the school have been excellent.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There could be 2 options for your boyfriend to come to the USA. If you are not cohabitating, he can make trips on the VWP as a visitor, for up to 90 days per stay. He should not make back-to-back trips. General rule of thumb is to stay outside the USA longer than you were just inside, before attempting another VWP visit. He won't be allowed to work while physically in the USA, not even for a company based outside the USA.

If you've been cohabitating and can prove it, he can apply for a B-2 cohabitating partner visa, which might allow him to stay 6 months to 1 year on each entry. Also allows easier back-to-back travel. He won't be allowed to work while physically in the USA, not even for a company based outside the USA.

The alternative is to get married, then he can come over on an F-2 dependent visa. But I believe he still would not be able to work in the USA, even for a company based outside the USA.

Rene
Thanks for this information Rene. My boyfriend and I do live together, so I assume the B2 cohabiting visa could be a good option, as I have a feeling marriage is a way off yet. I'm sure a year or so not working will be a welcome break for him. If he does want to come with me... that is!

Just a query, I've read on here about the B2 being declined if the person is able to visit on an ESTA (which my boyfriend and I currently have, it runs out in 2014). Would this not cause him problems with getting the B2 cohabiting visa approved? Or is it seen as irrelevant if we can provide the necessary paperwork?

Thanks again everyone, and keep the opinions / suggestions coming!
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

From their site:

"Full-time students complete the degree in two years, part-time students may take up to five years to complete the course of study, depending upon the number of courses they take each semester."

I can't seem to see how long the programme lasts either... which is a little annoying. I assume it's longer than 12 months?
Old Jul 21st 2012, 1:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this information Rene. My boyfriend and I do live together, so I assume the B2 cohabiting visa could be a good option, as I have a feeling marriage is a way off yet. I'm sure a year or so not working will be a welcome break for him. If he does want to come with me... that is!

Just a query, I've read on here about the B2 being declined if the person is able to visit on an ESTA (which my boyfriend and I currently have, it runs out in 2014). Would this not cause him problems with getting the B2 cohabiting visa approved? Or is it seen as irrelevant if we can provide the necessary paperwork?
If he were asking for a regular B-2 visa, then yes, it would be difficult to get approved because he qualifies for VWP travel. But since you're cohabitating, and you have proof you'll be a student overseas, and proof that you're cohabitating, it will be easier for him to get a special B-2 Cohabitating Partner visa. Make sure the visa gets annotated with this "cohabitating partner" phrase, so the US POE officer will understand and hopefully give him a 1-year stay rather than the normal 6 months.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2012, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

NYU has a great reputation, but I'd be cautious about SCPS - I'm sure the quality of the courses is excellent, but brand names really count here, and you might well end up staying. Many universities have professional/continuing ed schools where they leverage their brand name, from Harvard's Extension school to BU's Metropolitan College. Unfortunately, they simply don't count the same way. 2 years and a ton of money later, it might be tough to get a job. They certainly have an important niche in the market - e.g. if you already have a lot of good experience, and want a few extra classes - but my advice to students (as a prof) is always to go for the best brand name you can get into (that you can afford and fits your interests).
Old Jul 21st 2012, 3:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So 2 terms a year, 2 years to do a masters, with that page you linked to, that's roughly $60K in a rounded number.

To get the F1 student visa, you need to show funds covering tuition and living expenses, so being in NY, close to double the tuition rates to cover food, board, books etc at a rough guess.

Also as a F1, you won't be allowed to work in the first semester and then after, it's only part time, on campus work.

Unless you can wrangle a J1 out of it.

As for the kudos to the uni, no idea...but what's important is where you fancy working, it'll probably help your career more if you planned to work in the US afterwards, but if you wanted to work in the UK or else where, it'll probably bring next to no real kudos. Just like no one over here will have a clue what Leeds University is, if it isn't OxBridge, generally it won't really mean anything. Okay, I'm simplifying it a little, but you get the idea.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

Emerson (in Boston) http://www.emerson.edu/ has one of the best national reputations for communications, media production, etc. Worth a look, if you have arm and leg to spare....
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Peachbythebeach is an unknown quantity at this point

Could anyone make it a little clearer / give me a figure for overall costs?
From the link you provided, it looks like it's over $15,000 per term, with their being 2 terms per year. And as someone above said, it's a 2 year program so you're looking at $60,000 for the program.

Then there's living accomodations, cost of books, etc. I'm sure you know that living in NYC is outrageously expensive. Have you looked into whether they have dorms, as the cost of an apartment would be through the roof.

I lived and went to graduate school in NYC and absolutely loved it, by the way. Best of luck!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Peachbythebeach is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davidtheprof
Emerson (in Boston) http://www.emerson.edu/ has one of the best national reputations for communications, media production, etc. Worth a look, if you have arm and leg to spare....
Boston is such a great city for students, as well.