Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is UK Gov Pension direct deposit or wired to US bank account?

Is UK Gov Pension direct deposit or wired to US bank account?

Old Apr 3rd 2013, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

audi4t is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is UK Gov Pension direct deposit or wired to US bank account?

I will soon be receiving both a UK Government pension and an employer pension from the UK.

My question is - does the UK Government direct deposit the pension to my bank account here in the US or do they use wire transfer?

My US bank says that for direct deposits, all that the pension payer needs to use is my regular bank routing number and bank account number.

However, if it's a wire transfer then the payers will need to use a SWIFT Bank Identification Code (BIC).

TIA

Kevin
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:36 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is UK Gov Pension direct deposit or wired to US bank account?

UK government pension is direct deposit in dollars, so there is no fee from the bank at this end.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
UK government pension is direct deposit in dollars, so there is no fee from the bank at this end.
Nutmegger - thanks for quick reply

I'm deep in the shoreline of Madison, Ct
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 2:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audi4t
Nutmegger - thanks for quick reply

I'm deep in the shoreline of Madison, Ct
That made me laugh! Hello, fellow Nutmeg stater!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:19 pm
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice

But there is a £2.74/pmt fee at the UK end, from XAfinity.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

That's absolutely correct

Originally Posted by TerryVA
But there is a £2.74/pmt fee at the UK end, from XAfinity.
What's an XAfinity?
On the other hand...who cares? It has NOTHING to do with the OPs question.
How can I be so certain?
Because a direct deposit (for UK Govt. pension) is made monthly to my US chequing accnt. There is absolutely no fee here, there or anywhere. There's no "middleman" involved.
Never.
Ever.
And the conversion rate given is practically the spot rate. (rare instance of Govt. doing something right )
Old Apr 11th 2013, 11:05 pm
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice

Originally Posted by MMcD
That's absolutely correct

What's an XAfinity?
On the other hand...who cares? It has NOTHING to do with the OPs question.
How can I be so certain?
Because a direct deposit (for UK Govt. pension) is made monthly to my US chequing accnt. There is absolutely no fee here, there or anywhere. There's no "middleman" involved.
Never.
Ever.
And the conversion rate given is practically the spot rate. (rare instance of Govt. doing something right )
My UK Govt pension is payed by XAfinity.
They're a middleman.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

But a "middleman" is unnecessary
(Or am I missing something?)
All you need is a form (called INTERNATIONAL PENSIONS DIRECT PAYMENT) supplied by The Pension Service.
You fill in the routing number of your bank, your account number, whether it's a chequing or savings account and whether you wish to be paid every 4 or every 13 weeks.
They will do a direct deposit which shows up in your account - like clockwork - on time, everytime - never a delay.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 11:52 pm
Saxon

Originally Posted by MMcD
But a "middleman" is unnecessary
(Or am I missing something?)
All you need is a form (called INTERNATIONAL PENSIONS DIRECT PAYMENT) supplied by The Pension Service.
You fill in the routing number of your bank, your account number, whether it's a chequing or savings account and whether you wish to be paid every 4 or every 13 weeks.
They will do a direct deposit which shows up in your account - like clockwork - on time, everytime - never a delay.
"Pensions paid for former service to the UK Government are known as Government Service Pensions. Pensions paid for former employment with the H M Forces, Civil Service and Foreign and Commonwealth Office are all regarded as Government Service Pensions."

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/uk_gov_pensions.htm

You're talking about the State Pension.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

oh....You're absolutely right...I was!
But having earned your pension thru years of faithful, diligent service to Her Majestys Government - are you now "penalized" by having to enlist the services of a "Middleman".
Seems unfair to you....but hey...what do I know
Old Apr 12th 2013, 12:32 am
Saxon

There may be some confusion over the terminology, and how I interpreted the original question.

The HMRC page that I referenced is titled "UK Government Pensions". To me, UK Govt Pension = UK Govt Service Pension. It may well be that others think of the UK State Pension as a UK Govt pension.

I'm pleased to learn that my State Pension will not use a middleman, and I'll get every penny!
Old Apr 12th 2013, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TerryVA
There may be some confusion over the terminology, and how I interpreted the original question.

The HMRC page that I referenced is titled "UK Government Pensions". To me, UK Govt Pension = UK Govt Service Pension. It may well be that others think of the UK State Pension as a UK Govt pension.

I'm pleased to learn that my State Pension will not use a middleman, and I'll get every penny!
I meant State Pension (Social Security) - good to know there are no fees, direct deposit is the preferred method and the exchange rate is competitive.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

I've been getting my UK pension for over a year now.....and, as Nutmegger says, it goes straight into the US bank account.
No middlemen.... no nothing, just straight into the bank.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:43 am
Just Joined

dogma1029 is an unknown quantity at this point

My parents live in the States as well as myself. Both are retired and receiving a UK pension. It was curious to me since they have both been in the States for over 25 years and have only retired in the past year.
I guess I'll have to do some digging to see if I am eligible for anything when my time comes.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 11:38 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dogma1029
My parents live in the States as well as myself. Both are retired and receiving a UK pension. It was curious to me since they have both been in the States for over 25 years and have only retired in the past year.
I guess I'll have to do some digging to see if I am eligible for anything when my time comes.
You will get a UK state pension based on your NI contribution record.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.