Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Form ID1 id verification in the US

Wikiposts

UK Form ID1 id verification in the US

Old Dec 7th 2020, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Form ID1 id verification in the US

I am required to fill out an id1 one which is a verification of identity for a UK lease transfer. I am US resident and now citizen. Would a US notary be able to perform this service? I know a US notary is different to UK and does not have the same legal standing. Also the form asks for evidence of the lawyer's certification, what would this be? It seems like a big and mildly expensive hassle unless you happen to know a friendly lawyer but it has to be done whether I like it or not Of course doing in person verification is even more problematic at this time as I explained to the UK solicitor dealing with this.. expat life.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 4:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Form ID1 id verification in the US

It is my experience that most US ‘notaries’ are not acceptable in the UK. In the UK notary a must be a qualified, practicing solicitor. In the US anyone and his dog can become a notary.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 5:46 am
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Several UK banks and financial institutions have accepted my US notarized documents for proof of identity regarding money laundering. I think a regular Notary should be accepted for a lease transfer! I would just go ahead, get them notarized, send it in and see what happens. In the area that asks for proof of lawyer certification, I would just have them stamp there and out in their ID details, or stamp somewhere else and refer to the stamp and details from that area. The worst that happens is that they reject it, but I am pretty sure they will accept it. You have nothing to lose except your time.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 6:20 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I do know that both the US and the UK are parties to The Hague Apostille Convention. You may want to inquire if a US notarial “acknowledgement” plus the appropriate “apostille” will do the trick.

BTW, as a US lawyer I would hesitate to verify the signature as being outside the scope of my legal authority under US law. I don’t know the answer to that one, but it would be an area of inquiry.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 6:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
Several UK banks and financial institutions have accepted my US notarized documents for proof of identity regarding money laundering. I think a regular Notary should be accepted for a lease transfer! I would just go ahead, get them notarized, send it in and see what happens. In the area that asks for proof of lawyer certification, I would just have them stamp there and out in their ID details, or stamp somewhere else and refer to the stamp and details from that area. The worst that happens is that they reject it, but I am pretty sure they will accept it. You have nothing to lose except your time.
I had to get my passport notorized as proof of ID when I was buying/selling property. Had it notorized at the bank...it was returned as not acceptable.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 6:43 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Interesting. I do know that both the US and the UK are parties to The Hague Apostille Convention. You may want to inquire if a US notarial “acknowledgement” plus the appropriate “apostille” will do the trick.

BTW, as a US lawyer I would hesitate to verify the signature as being outside the scope of my legal authority under US law. I don’t know the answer to that one, but it would be an area of inquiry.
I remember doing an apostille for Spain and remember having to go to both a bilingual lawyer and then I think the FCO to have the document “legalized”. If the US process is similar that sound like a lot of work.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 8:14 am
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if this is why my documents were approved by various banks and financial institutions and Jersey Girl's were not but I was told to have the Notary add the the words “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”. And also to state their name, title and business address and of course the appropriate stamp, signature and date. I did have them write the date out in full, e.g, January 3rd, 2020 instead of 1/3/20 because the US date format would only confuse people back home.

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; Dec 7th 2020 at 8:18 am.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to a notary friend and he said he would not feel comfortable notarising it as it did not have the correct standard "notary language" and he was not sure if filling in the standard form and providing information like his address was in the scope of what is permitted for a notary. I have found a friend who is a lawyer who will do the form for me though, hopefully that will work.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 9:08 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I remember doing an apostille for Spain and remember having to go to both a bilingual lawyer and then I think the FCO to have the document “legalized”. If the US process is similar that sound like a lot of work.
There is a difference between being “legalized” and having the “apostille.” As you found out, the process to “legalize” is more involved than the apostille. Again, the apostille is a creature of international treaty. Both the US and the UK are parties. Canada is not, which can complicate matters when Canada is involved.

The apostille procedure is quite abbreviated and there are services which will get that for you.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 9:32 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by angelman
I spoke to a notary friend and he said he would not feel comfortable notarising it as it did not have the correct standard "notary language" and he was not sure if filling in the standard form and providing information like his address was in the scope of what is permitted for a notary. I have found a friend who is a lawyer who will do the form for me though, hopefully that will work.
I see where your notary friend is coming from. Last year we had to sign a document which had been prepared with a foreign (e.g. New Jersey) notarization form. The notary, at Chase Bank, refused to notarize as on the document. Rather, she attached the California specific form acknowledgement. The New Jersey authorities had no problem with the attachment in lieu of the official NJ form.

As I mentioned above, as an attorney I would worry about performing a notarial act without being a notary myself. Your friend may disagree.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

In process on completing a property transaction in the UK and my UK solicitor required ID documents for the ID verification as part of the Money Laundering Regulations. I had passports/license/bills certified as copies by a notary at a US bank and that was accepted by my UK solicitor.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Did you have to complete an id1 form? This is a specific UK government form for id verification. It's more explicit than simply a notarised copy of my passport etc.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

I did not complete ID1 form.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 11:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
Don't know if this is why my documents were approved by various banks and financial institutions and Jersey Girl's were not but I was told to have the Notary add the the words “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”. And also to state their name, title and business address and of course the appropriate stamp, signature and date. I did have them write the date out in full, e.g, January 3rd, 2020 instead of 1/3/20 because the US date format would only confuse people back home.
That's the magic verbage that used on all our notarized documents for USCIS. The Canadian Passport Renewal Application required a 'professional', i.e. doctor, attorney, etc. who had known you for x number of years to verify that hubby was who he is. Thankfully, our good friend who is an attorney did it for us.