Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

My haul to stash in the cases for tomorrow's flight back include a couple of large jars of Branston, big jar of Marmite, huge bottle of HP, 30 quid's worth of chocolate from Cadbury World (where 10 Curly Wurlys were one pound fifty!) two tins of Heroes and Celebrations plus assorted Mars bars, Chunky Kit-Kats and Snickers!

I just KNOW they're going to get opened by Customs. All I can hope for is that they're honest and don't take any!!!!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I bet you open it back up and all the Malteasers ones have vanished
Old Oct 1st 2013, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

LOL...They can have the eclairs. Perhaps I'll put a note in!!
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:04 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
My haul to stash in the cases for tomorrow's flight back include a couple of large jars of Branston, big jar of Marmite, huge bottle of HP, 30 quid's worth of chocolate from Cadbury World (where 10 Curly Wurlys were one pound fifty!) two tins of Heroes and Celebrations plus assorted Mars bars, Chunky Kit-Kats and Snickers!

I just KNOW they're going to get opened by Customs. All I can hope for is that they're honest and don't take any!!!!
My strategy is to fly direct to Houston from Heathrow, that way I can shop at the airport and bring back as much as I want in the cabin with me. This sometimes results in me paying nominal duty, but it's not a serious hardship. Of course if I had a connecting flight inside the US I couldn't do this.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Speedwell
My strategy is to fly direct to Houston from Heathrow, that way I can shop at the airport and bring back as much as I want in the cabin with me. This sometimes results in me paying nominal duty, but it's not a serious hardship. Of course if I had a connecting flight inside the US I couldn't do this.
Nice idea, but apart from the fact that you just don't get the choice at the airport, it's still madly expensive at Heathrow! Remember, it's duty and tax free, but it's NOT profit free!

In fact, it's such a profit maker, they route you through the duty free shop before you even get to the lounges, gates, food, etc. Having said that, they were handing out some nice vintage rum and Patron Tequila samples!!

I found alcohol and cigarette prices to be higher than in the DF shops on a cruise ship, and that's saying something!! Cigs are actually as cheap to buy at the local gas station as they are duty free.

Anyway, I'm glad to report that my stash didn't even cause CBP to open my cases (and the chocol;ate haul was more like 50 quid's worth than 30. I forgot to include what I bought in Asda!!!
Old Oct 4th 2013, 10:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Wegmans were selling all the Sharwoods curry sauces for $2.50 a jar, which is almost half price. Selling it at that price till end of the month.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Not a UK food, but I just had to put my find on here all the same.

I was at TJ Maxx a few weeks ago, and I was browsing (as you do), and I came across a double oven glove! "Well that's strange" I thought to myself, "we don't sell those over here, what a rare find!" Well. It so happens that when I looked at the tag, it was from Wilko! As in Wilkinson's! So I bought it, us British have to stick together lol.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 6:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ocean State had a 100 count of Typhoo tea bags for $3, which is cheaper than the 80 count they usually have and also a bunch of Cadbury's chocs and biscuits for a couple bucks.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just finished up a bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk: Cola, Pretzel and Honeycomb.

Definitely worth asking someone to bring some back for you!
Old Oct 13th 2013, 8:11 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily British, but we've been looking for frozen puff pastry for sausage rolls in Houston for months (whenever we have been at a market). We were in the Indian food shop SubhLaxmi Grocers at the corner of Hillcroft and 59 (very close to us) and found some very acceptable puff pastry squares, made by Indo-European Foods, in the frozen case. Still looking for puff pastry blocks (the kind you roll out for pie) though.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily British, but we've been looking for frozen puff pastry for sausage rolls in Houston for months (whenever we have been at a market). We were in the Indian food shop SubhLaxmi Grocers at the corner of Hillcroft and 59 (very close to us) and found some very acceptable puff pastry squares, made by Indo-European Foods, in the frozen case. Still looking for puff pastry blocks (the kind you roll out for pie) though.
Pepperidge Farm make frozen puff pastry - I used it to make sausage rolls for the first time last Christmas. They have also just brought out what they call "cups" which in Europe you'd call vol-au-vents - a staple at all my parties as a kid!

Last edited by Orangepants; Oct 13th 2013 at 8:55 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 12:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Kiki's in Brighton, MA

Little Irish deli type place, anyway at the mo they've got a 48 count box of Crunchies for $20, heinz beans for a buck and a bunch of other stuff on sale.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 3:05 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Puff Pastry in sheets or vol au vent cases by Pepperidge Farm in H.E.B. in the dessert section, normally on the bottom shelf. Blocks of puff pastry at Phoenicia on Westheimer, pick up some chocolate baklava squares while you are there, you wont be disappointed, and maybe some orangina to wash it down, and did I mention proper cadbury's chocolate...
Old Oct 14th 2013, 11:46 am
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Puff Pastry in sheets or vol au vent cases by Pepperidge Farm in H.E.B. in the dessert section, normally on the bottom shelf. Blocks of puff pastry at Phoenicia on Westheimer, pick up some chocolate baklava squares while you are there, you wont be disappointed, and maybe some orangina to wash it down, and did I mention proper cadbury's chocolate...
Awesome, I've been meaning to go out there forever. The person who told me about it said they had Hungarian Pick sausage too...
Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:09 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Some Giant around the DC metro area carry a small selection of goods; teas Ribena, Robinsons, colemans ....
I think Heinz "Homestyle" beans with brown sugar and bacon or was it the molasses and pork are the equivalent to the UK ones, imo they taste the same. $1.80 vs $3-4 for them at Wholepaycheck or CostPlus etc.
Wallyworld carries digestives for quite cheap .... plus you get to play Walmart Bingo too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.