Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Sep 18th 2013, 2:19 pm
Merry in Maryland

xenastoyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Visited The Rose and Lion British pub in Alamo Height, San Antonio. Saw the menu and got a little excited, Scotch eggs, bangers and mash, baked beans, etc. but everything was disappointing and nothing using British ingredients. The only thing that made the visit worthwhile was was a 22oz glass of Speckled Hen. It was very smoking which seeped into the small non smoking area. I have no reason to return to this place.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 2:20 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xenastoyboy
Visited The Rose and Lion British pub in Alamo Height, San Antonio. Saw the menu and got a little excited, Scotch eggs, bangers and mash, baked beans, etc. but everything was disappointing and nothing using British ingredients. The only thing that made the visit worthwhile was was a 22oz glass of Speckled Hen. It was very smoking which seeped into the small non smoking area. I have no reason to return to this place.
Thanks for that report; my brother lives in San Antonio and if we visit him there he will doubtless want to take us someplace like that. Are there any in the city that you recommend?
Old Sep 18th 2013, 2:28 pm
Merry in Maryland

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Thanks for that report; my brother lives in San Antonio and if we visit him there he will doubtless want to take us someplace like that. Are there any in the city that you recommend?
I live about 90 mile north of San Antonio (I work in Maryland) and hadn't tried any of the pubs in that area, this was the first. There are a few more around but even decent British pubs in the US are hard to find. Let me know if you have any luck. The best beat are usually the Irish bars so I will need to check them out there.

On a side note there is Fado Irish Pub in Austin, a national chain where I can get my Sunday morning British breakfast fix anywhere I find them in US.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:09 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xenastoyboy
I live about 90 mile north of San Antonio (I work in Maryland) and hadn't tried any of the pubs in that area, this was the first. There are a few more around but even decent British pubs in the US are hard to find. Let me know if you have any luck. The best beat are usually the Irish bars so I will need to check them out there.

On a side note there is Fado Irish Pub in Austin, a national chain where I can get my Sunday morning British breakfast fix anywhere I find them in US.
Got one in Houston, too. Excellent, my Northern Irish husband and I haven't tried it yet, but will. Thanks!
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:56 pm
Merry in Maryland

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Got one in Houston, too. Excellent, my Northern Irish husband and I haven't tried it yet, but will. Thanks!
I used to live in Denver and Fado's was a popular haunt for us. Now I work in Maryland Fado's in DC on 7th and H is where I get my fix. Real bacon, fried eggs, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, black pudding, white pudding and fried bread. Now's that's a good British breakfast!
Attached Thumbnails UK Foods in the US Share your finds!-fodos-breakfast.jpg  
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

peter3292004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have a source for Jacobs Hovis digestive Crackers ?

http://img0077.popscreencdn.com/1339...s---tesco-.jpg
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:00 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peter3292004
Does anyone have a source for Jacobs Hovis digestive Crackers ?

http://img0077.popscreencdn.com/1339...s---tesco-.jpg
Select Safeway and Walmarts
Old Sep 25th 2013, 12:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

For those in Maine. Reny's had 80 count Typhoo teabags for $5, they also had boxes of the loose tea for about the same money too.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

AilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know is it is possible to get sausage rolls over here. My poor husband appears to be having withdrawal symptoms and I am nowhere near great British bake off skill levels
Old Sep 25th 2013, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AilsWallace
Anyone know is it is possible to get sausage rolls over here. My poor husband appears to be having withdrawal symptoms and I am nowhere near great British bake off skill levels
Sausage rolls in the UK are nothing but puff pasty Yuk!
Old Sep 25th 2013, 1:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of recipes in the recipe thread, but they're easy to make and if you want to cheat, get some Wegmans sausages and crescent rolls and use that.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:15 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

English pork pie company in Buffalo, if they're still in business.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

AilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Plenty of recipes in the recipe thread, but they're easy to make and if you want to cheat, get some Wegmans sausages and crescent rolls and use that.
there is a recipe thread!? shows how much attention I pay
Old Sep 25th 2013, 10:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

there is a recipe thread!? shows how much attention I pay
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...4#post10915944
Old Sep 26th 2013, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Much appreciated bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.