Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:08 am
Just Joined

Sharon D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

and breakfast sausages are verrrrry similar to the ones you buy in the UK, they are smaller but the taste is almost the same.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharon D
I found FLANS in my local Kroger store...yes bacon and cheese, bacon and onion, broccoli and cheese, and they tasted like they were from "home" too, but to be honest, I try to make meals that incorporate the Southern menus with my Yorkshire ones it's much easier.
Like mint Julips and Yorkshire Pud Sharon, sounds good to me.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Went in to Big Lots, and there were Crawford's Custard Creams and Bourbon Creams, which I grabbed up right away. Mind you, the first 3 had a little corner broken off, so I had to go to the 4th to do a proper QC test.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm
Harris Teeter pricing (, though the Aero was only $1.29

$2.85 for Irn-Bru, I paid $7.26 for 6, curious if the new Publix once it opens will carry the usual selection.
The one in Anderson SC has recently started stocking the brit items, so you're in with a chance.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
Went in to Big Lots, and there were Crawford's Custard Creams and Bourbon Creams, which I grabbed up right away. Mind you, the first 3 had a little corner broken off, so I had to go to the 4th to do a proper QC test.
I use to love Boubon creams when Peek Freans made them, don't think they make them anymore, they just don't taste the same.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

bella87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just found a British section in the supermarket in my new town in NY. I'm totally thrilled, although $1.49 for a packet of Hula Hoops seems a little pricey!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 5:04 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's mostly cost. Can get a lot of that stuff too, but I don't fancy spending $6 on a 60p packet of biscuits or $1.50 on a 20p chocolate bar.
Not sure I made my point but Cadbury's stuff, McVities, Nestlé and most of the common UK brands can be found at any Canadian supermarket. We don't have everything but we do have most of the common everyday stuff and its got to be cheaper to ship it to the US than from the UK. I've been into World Market in Phoenix and they have Aero bars and McVities shipped over from the UK for example. Presumably because they buy from the "official" importer but it has to be cheaper to ship from Canada.

I know our postal costs are pretty high, but they're not that high.

What I find in Canada is that there is a "season" for everything, never clear on why, but if you were to go to Loblaw's in November when they get all the Christmas stuff in they have mountains of stuff from the UK.

Anyway I'm off to the butchers to get some pork pies.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 7:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Tyrrell's crisps, they have them in Wegmans for $3.50 usually, but are on sale for $2 a bag.

Building 19, had them in for a buck though...

https://www.tyrrellscrisps.co.uk/
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Tyrrell's crisps, they have them in Wegmans for $3.50 usually, but are on sale for $2 a bag.

Building 19, had them in for a buck though...

https://www.tyrrellscrisps.co.uk/
Do they have the Hendersons Relish flavoured ones?
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
No idea, there was about 2 flavours in Building 19, but Wegmans seemed to have a few more, about 4 of them.

Never tried them, but they sounded pretty good.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bella87
I've just found a British section in the supermarket in my new town in NY. I'm totally thrilled, although $1.49 for a packet of Hula Hoops seems a little pricey!
Possibly not that pricey, I'm in the UK visiting at the moment and bought a bag of nice n spicy nik naks that set me back a quid And the chocolate bars are nearly up to a quid a piece. Made me realise the price we have been paying for stuff in the US isn't as bad as we thought.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 3:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
OMG Henderson's is so good on chips. I've never seen any since I left Sheffield.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 3:52 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by denzil75
Possibly not that pricey, I'm in the UK visiting at the moment and bought a bag of nice n spicy nik naks that set me back a quid And the chocolate bars are nearly up to a quid a piece. Made me realise the price we have been paying for stuff in the US isn't as bad as we thought.
In May I spent £3.50 on 24 packs of smoky bacon crisps, I noticed some items there is a great difference others fairly insignificant.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 5:03 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case any of you want to drive north, this is the sort of thing to look for (plus I just thought I'd make you suffer):
Attached Thumbnails UK Foods in the US Share your finds!-miscfood.jpg   UK Foods in the US Share your finds!-bacon.jpg  
Old Jun 26th 2012, 5:04 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Actually that bacon says "product of USA" on it, so presumably it is sold under another brand label somewhere in the US.

Cadbury's here is a mixed bag, some of it is imported from the UK (like the bar in the picture, but I've never seen that one on sale in the UK) and for example some British Cadbury's is sold under a different name here, e.g. "Caramilk" instead of "Caramel" although it usually is also imported from the UK. However some of the Cadbury's stuff is made in Ontario and it's a bit crap, like regular Dairy Milk (except the 1Kg bars).

Last edited by Steve_; Jun 26th 2012 at 5:07 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.