British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK Foods in the US Share your finds! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-foods-us-share-your-finds-688512/)

Steve_ Dec 7th 2011 5:57 pm

Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by megalaser (Post 9769488)
You can get almost anything if you know where to look, even UK type Bacon and Cumberland sausages. The things I have never seen in the US are Saveloys, frozen Yorkshire puddings, decent smoked salmon and real UK type bagels.

I think they have smoked salmon in Fresh & Easy. Thought I saw some the other day.

Poppy girl Dec 8th 2011 3:05 pm

4 Attachment(s)
Mollie Stones stores, all over the Bay Area...taken yesterday!!

Dewey Dec 8th 2011 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by megalaser (Post 9769488)
The things I have never seen in the US are frozen Yorkshire puddings, saveloys, etc

Pretty sure I've seen a bag of Aunt Bessie's frozen yorkshire puds in the freezer cabinet at the British Pantry, Aldie, VA. This company in California does online sales though next day air shipping in chill-packs is going to sting you in the wallet - better to make your own I'd suggest.

As for saveloys, this blog post describes Maine red snappers, a type of hot dog sausage in a natural casing - I've not tried any so can't vouch for how close they are to a saveloy. Try ordering them from Bean's and post here telling us what you think.

Bob Dec 10th 2011 10:30 pm

BJ's had a large box of Quality Street chocs, imported ones too, for $13

Egg and Cress Dec 12th 2011 1:32 pm

Lyonsden1193 found McVitie's milk chocolate flavour digestive wheat biscuits at one of the Wal-Marts here in Memphis - $2.78 + tax, each. They ran out of the chocolate ones a few weeks ago, but had some plain digestives left. Thought it was going to be a one-off, but they re-stocked with the chocolate covered ones and he stocked up! Yay! :thumbsup: Now if they would just bring in the bacon and sausages!!!! :fingerscrossed:

Jerseygirl Dec 12th 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress (Post 9783784)
Lyonsden1193 found McVitie's milk chocolate flavour digestive wheat biscuits at one of the Wal-Marts here in Memphis - $2.78 + tax, each. They ran out of the chocolate ones a few weeks ago, but had some plain digestives left. Thought it was going to be a one-off, but they re-stocked with the chocolate covered ones and he stocked up! Yay! :thumbsup: Now if they would just bring in the bacon and sausages!!!! :fingerscrossed:

What a find!! I think I pay around $6 per pack.

fsm Dec 12th 2011 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress (Post 9783784)

The Walmart I go to in Charlotte has them as well :)

Smith Dec 12th 2011 2:44 pm

My husband makes the best Yorkshire puddings, I thought mine were pretty good until he stepped in to help with the Sunday roast, now he has to make them every time!

Bob Dec 13th 2011 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9783801)

Ocean State Job Lots, they have them on a semi regular basis for about $2 a pack...the chocolate ones go quick though, leaving the plain digestives, which are a bit meh.

Smith Dec 13th 2011 3:28 pm

Smiffys British Market online has some really good stuff too

Jerseygirl Dec 13th 2011 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Smith (Post 9786174)

Is that anything to do with you by any chance?

Poppy girl Dec 13th 2011 5:14 pm

How much :eek: and then the mailing on top hell no!!

http://smiffys-uk.com/

Egg and Cress Dec 13th 2011 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9783801)

Ouch! :eek:

Egg and Cress Dec 13th 2011 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9785077)
Ocean State Job Lots, they have them on a semi regular basis for about $2 a pack...the chocolate ones go quick though, leaving the plain digestives, which are a bit meh.

Yes, the plain ones taste like chopped, pressed & formed cardboard to me. :blink:

Egg and Cress Dec 13th 2011 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Smith (Post 9786174)

Sorry, kiddo - your prices are too rich for us! Add S&H and that makes the cost almost exorbitant. :( This is one reason why the British import shop that was here in Memphis bombed - their prices were just that much too much to most of their patrons, even for an ex-pat. :blink: