Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Nov 25th 2013, 12:54 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by Speedwell
My husband is training to become a butcher (for which I must thank Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall for the inspiration, LOL). I don't know about Nashville particularly, but here in Houston he and I occasionally remark to each other on the lack of "proper" bacon, the dearth of really good sausages, the drought of plain old mature Cheddar worth a tinker's damn, and the inability to source raw cream to make your own clotted cream with (since it can be done at home), given the stuff put up in tiny bottles is nearly as expensive as caviar and half rancid. You might as well get a second mortgage for a bit of lamb, and they call pasties "empanadas" in this locality. You can order sweets through the mail but there is a hole in the American consciousness where good British desserts are concerned. The food service industry is notoriously difficult (says the individual who went to school for music), but I think the main thing that scares people off from starting such a business is the simple lack of other similar businesses that can be seen to be doing well. But there are dozens of small German sausage makers in the area between Houston and San Antonio; nothing says it can't be done.

Here in Houston we have everything... seriously, we have Bosnian, Nicaraguan, Peruvian, Afghani, Polish, you name it... but we don't have a good British bakery/butcher and incidentally we don't have a Hungarian restaurant (which drives me bananas personally because I'm a Hungarian Yank).
I have managed to find decent cheddar here but it's so damn expensive that I stopped bothering.

As for lamb - we buy a leg once or twice a year and I normally head down to Whole Foods in Sugar Land for it. Again - ridiculously expensive, but I have to have my roast lamb fix now and then.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Trader Joe's has an awesome selection of cheese including some excellent vintage cheddar and 'oddities' like chocolate cheddar and cheddar with caramelized onions.

If you have one near (or at least within an easy commute), I recommend TJ's for the cheese and many other unique delights (try the Cookie Butter!!).
Old Nov 25th 2013, 2:47 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Trader Joe's has an awesome selection of cheese including some excellent vintage cheddar and 'oddities' like chocolate cheddar and cheddar with caramelized onions.

If you have one near (or at least within an easy commute), I recommend TJ's for the cheese and many other unique delights (try the Cookie Butter!!).
I'm super picky and my preferences are impossible and obscure. Whine, whine, never satisfied.

Dammit, all I want is the stuff you could buy in plastic at the Cooperative. That was terrific stuff.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
I'm super picky and my preferences are impossible and obscure. Whine, whine, never satisfied.

Dammit, all I want is the stuff you could buy in plastic at the Cooperative. That was terrific stuff.
Trust me. Give it a try. TJ's 'regular' cheese is outstanding and some of the speciality stuff they have will blow your socks off!

A recent Artisinal Vintage Cheddar was just exceptional and there's always a good selection. They even have Lurpak and Kerrygold butter!
Old Nov 25th 2013, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Trust me. Give it a try. TJ's 'regular' cheese is outstanding and some of the speciality stuff they have will blow your socks off!

A recent Artisinal Vintage Cheddar was just exceptional and there's always a good selection. They even have Lurpak and Kerrygold butter!
I love the TJ's Vintage Cheddar (it is made in England), they had some good Red Leicester the other week too. If only they would source some Wensleydale.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:02 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Err, costco for cheese Houston people. And butter, for that matter. Kerrygold.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:06 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
I'll have to have another look. I've found good cheddar at HEB and Fiesta but it's massively overpriced. A bit like Ribena.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 8:31 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Denver Metro people too.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 11:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Saw mini bottles of Robinsons juices for a buck at Walmart.

Christmas Tree shop also had a bunch of Jacobs cracker knock offs for a buck and Digestive biscuits for a couple bucks for the choc ones. Had a bunch of different kinds of Cadburys Fingers and other choc biscuits for a couple bucks as well, all made in the UK by Burton's under license.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

A few things I bought today ready for Christmas:

Wegmans, 2 boxes of 6 mince pies $5.99 each

Home Goods, Thorntons Great British Pudding Chocolates $16.99 and 2 boxes of Thorntons Classic Chocolates $14.99 each.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 4:19 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Went to Costco in Austin today and found
Crackers!

real English cheddar, stilton, roquefort and a very nice brie..
Hubby found big jar of mincemeat in Wholefoods but for some reason didn't buy it....

yours festively!
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Trader Joes had milk chocolate oranges in exactly the same kind of packaging as Terry's. I didn't try them as World Market has 2 for $7 offer on the real deal and I'd already stocked up.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 3:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Trader Joes had milk chocolate oranges in exactly the same kind of packaging as Terry's. I didn't try them as World Market has 2 for $7 offer on the real deal and I'd already stocked up.
Those are very good...but they, along with their advent calendars tend to sell out really quickly and then they're gone. Our local ran out of the calendars within a few hours
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

5 below and Aldi both have advent calendars in, if you're just looking for a standard one with no bells and whistles. Seems like they are catching on here, I couldn't find one for love nor money the first year we arrived.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 4:15 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

I opened the door on my advent calendar yesterday and Tom Daley came out.

...... I'll get me coat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.