Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:37 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by Zoe Moon
I had asked recently about some gummies from Germany that I like, they sell the brand at World Market but not the flavor I wanted. The guy in the store said they no longer can order things for you as it's all done by corporate now but if you call or email corporate and it's something they already buy for other stores, they can arrange to have some sent to the store nearest you. I haven't gotten around to asking yet but it's worth a shot.
Thats news to me ours still places orders I was in there this afternoon buying Gadiva Chocolate ...I asked about Ryvita and the lass said they would request it, they did have Ryvita in Big Lots but sold out
Old Aug 7th 2011, 2:35 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Just a precaution I know many of you use "Fresh and Easy"

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/...,3238326.story
Old Aug 7th 2011, 5:29 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Just a precaution I know many of you use "Fresh and Easy"

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/...,3238326.story
Them and everybody else Poppy, most supermarkets have recalls for this kind of thing all the time, Safeway's for example are currently recalling a load of salads for salmonela risk.

Moving on with more English finds, F&E have extended their English section new items include Robinsons Squash for $3.50 per bottle, Hob nobs and Chocolate Digestives for $4.50, Foxs cream biscuits, $2.95, custard powder $4.50 a selection of English chocolate bars, flake, aero, crunchie, expensive at between $1.30-$1.75 per bar, HP Fruity, and some tinned puddings.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky
Them and everybody else Poppy, most supermarkets have recalls for this kind of thing all the time, Safeway's for example are currently recalling a load of salads for salmonela risk.

Moving on with more English finds, F&E have extended their English section new items include Robinsons Squash for $3.50 per bottle, Hob nobs and Chocolate Digestives for $4.50, Foxs cream biscuits, $2.95, custard powder $4.50 a selection of English chocolate bars, flake, aero, crunchie, expensive at between $1.30-$1.75 per bar, HP Fruity, and some tinned puddings.
Now those prices I like

The reason I mentioned Fresh and Easy and not the others was because of the English link ie us using them more for Brit food
Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Moon
If you're in the Seattle/Tacoma area or are coming for a visit some time, there are several British shops and pubs here.
Or drive up to White Rock, a lot of British stuff is available in Canadian supermarkets, sometimes under Canadian brandnames, e.g. fox's biscuits are under President's Choice at Canadian Superstore/Loblaw's. And they're not inflated "special import" prices. Frankly there's "British" stuff you can get in Canada that is better than the British equivalent, e.g. Roger's Chocolates.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 5:39 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

And on this very subject, I was reminded while explaining to a CBP inspector the other day how to do his job that imports of vegetables, cheese, meat and so forth from Canada are exempt from the usual prohibitions, there are various personal use exemptions, e.g. 50 pounds of frozen meat. So if you do go shopping in Canada and you get that form to fill in or they ask you, don't be afraid to say yes and argue with them if they disagree.

Strangely I thought NAFTA had stopped a lot of this nonsense but various States have protectionist policies against imports from Canada, e.g. the western States prohibit the import of Taber corn (supposedly because of disease, what disease?)

Certainly you can get better bacon here than you can in the US (unless you happen to live near a good butcher's or a Fresh N Easy.) I have to admit I do think I will have to try taking some pork pies into the US, I'm such an awkward bugger.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

This may have been posted previously, and I apologize now for not taking the time to check back and read through to see, but does anyone know of any brand of baked beans sold in regular grocery stores over here that doesn't taste like BBQ sauce with 10 bags of sugar added?

Is it possible to get just plain baked beans in tomato sauce like good ole Heinz?

Many a time I rather fancy a nice spot of beans on toast, but any American brands I've tried are flippin' awful. I shop in Krogers. Haven't found a World Market or something similar as of yet. I think there might be a Fresh Market somewhere, and I think they used to sell Heinz in the one in Illinois, but that's a long way to go just to get a tin of beans!
Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
This may have been posted previously, and I apologize now for not taking the time to check back and read through to see, but does anyone know of any brand of baked beans sold in regular grocery stores over here that doesn't taste like BBQ sauce with 10 bags of sugar added?

Is it possible to get just plain baked beans in tomato sauce like good ole Heinz?
Heinz do a vegetarian can of beans, it's in a green can, it's pretty similar, a little sweeter I think, but not bad.

Campbell's also do a vegetarian beans in tomato sauce that isn't to bad.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 5:23 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Many a time I rather fancy a nice spot of beans on toast, but any American brands I've tried are flippin' awful. I shop in Krogers. Haven't found a World Market or something similar as of yet. I think there might be a Fresh Market somewhere, and I think they used to sell Heinz in the one in Illinois, but that's a long way to go just to get a tin of beans!
Order them online, it's as cheap as buyingthem anywhere in a shop over here. http://www.britishfooddepot.com/Hein...FZFV7AodJRda6Q
Old Sep 19th 2011, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Heinz do a vegetarian can of beans, it's in a green can, it's pretty similar, a little sweeter I think, but not bad.

Campbell's also do a vegetarian beans in tomato sauce that isn't to bad.
Yes they are great
Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestions (and the link Paranoid)

I'm usually wary about ordering food online in case I get it back and it's going out of date or something, but beans last forever, don't they?

Can't say ever seen any green bean tins from Heinz - I shall have to look a bit more closely, then!

Thanks all.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm usually wary about ordering food online in case I get it back and it's going out of date or something, but beans last forever, don't they?

Can't say ever seen any green bean tins from Heinz - I shall have to look a bit more closely, then!

Thanks all.
The Heinz veg can is a little smaller...but they're sold in most grocery stores.

Best place for proper Heinz is by the crate on Amazon, put it on the scheduled regular delivery thing and cancel it afterwards to get a larger discount and also free shipping.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:56 pm

Thanks all.
These are the ones almost the same as the orignals and in most stores.
Attached Thumbnails UK Foods in the US Share your finds!-medium_8a78c6e02140d9310121413bd76410c5.jpg  
Old Sep 20th 2011, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
These are the ones almost the same as the orignals and in most stores.
Thanks. I think I have seen them before actually. That will be this week's mission impossible at the grocery store.

Beans on toast for tea... here we come!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

BHAFC14 is on a distinguished road

Fairway have just opened up a new supermarket on the Upper East Side.

http://www.fairwaymarket.com/pages.php?pageid=118

Pretty good selection of products at reasonable prices. Should do OK as there is quite a sizable ex-pat community on the UES who have previously had to go farther afield to get their fix.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.