Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

English Sarah is on a distinguished road
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Maybe we should start up a Fish and Chip wagon
I am so desperate for fish and chips. I once got so desperate I spent $27 on a piece of cod (in Whole Foods) and some potatoes and a large bottle of oil, and I tried to make them myself. But it just wasn't the same as what you get from the chippy, and the vinegar here is so watered down ... sigh...

OTOH, even when I'm in Britain I can't often have fish and chips, because I have coeliac disease so can't eat gluten, and the nearest chippy offering gluten-free fish and chips is 27 miles away.

Another thing I miss is those very convenient gourmet cook-chill meals you get in almost every supermarket in Britain. The list of ingredients is often relatively short and innocuous, even for me with my dratted gluten-sensitive enteropathy, and they don't load them with sweetness. Can anyone tell me where I can get cook-chill meals in in Raleigh, NC? That is -- high-quality meals with fresh ingredients? Are they available ANYWHERE?

I have looked in Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Kroger, Food Lion, Harris Teeter and Lowe's. They don't seem to exist here! You can get those dreadful frozen offerings, that remind me of something Bird's Eye might have produced in the early 70s (and that has been sitting in the same freezer ever since), and you can get a few salad meals, but WHERE can I find good, fresh, cook-chill meals?

I also miss the superb cheese available in Britain. Why can't I find the really strong, unprocessed, unpasturised cheeses I can get in Britain?

I HAVE managed to find a substitute for British cottage cheese though. It is expensive but if you hate the bland stuff available here, it is definitely worth trying. I get it in Whole Foods and it is Nancy's cottage cheese. Delish!

I buy Marmite in Whole Foods, and Kerrygold butter in Trader Joe's.

Another craving I have is for curry and (gluten-free) garlic and coriander naan bread, but at least I know how to make that myself. Kroger has Pataks Indian curry sauces for when I'm feeling lazy.

And why is EVERYTHING here so SWEET? As one who never ate Heinz Baked Beans because they were to sweet even when in Britain, you can imagine how I feel about American baked beans - ugh. I also miss the extremely interesting flavours of apples (not to mention that Bramley cooking apples don't exist at all here) -- why is everything so bland and sweet? And finding a yellow grapefruit here is becoming harder and harder, as more and more of those sweet and very bitter red ones seem to replace them.

If anyone has any ideas re the gourmet cook-chill meals, do tell.

But the steak is much better here than in UK.

If this isn't taking the thread too off-topic, what do you all enjoy eating that is available in USA but not UK? Maybe it would be helpful to think about what we (well, I, anyway!) CAN have here than what we (!) miss?

Last edited by English Sarah; Feb 15th 2011 at 4:54 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we should start up a Fish and Chip wagon
I just bought a fish and chip pan. Lisa gave me a recipe, I'm trying it out this weekend.

I would love to have a mobile chip shop.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English Sarah
Another craving I have is for curry and (gluten-free) garlic and coriander naan bread, but at least I know how to make that myself. Kroger has Pataks Indian curry sauces for when I'm feeling lazy.
Try these people, www.ishopindian.com , not bad prices and free shipping on orders over $99.

Last edited by coastieexpat; Feb 15th 2011 at 7:32 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:09 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
I just bought a fish and chip pan. Lisa gave me a recipe, I'm trying it out this weekend.

I would love to have a mobile chip shop.
I am game lol am not joking
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I am game lol am not joking
That fella here is doing really well. He can afford to hire a helper one day a week now.
His FB post today was applauding the rain because there's no line, so today's the day to hit the chippy van. Great hours too; he closes up at 4 o'clock.

Of course, you have to work in a van all day.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:18 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
That fella here is doing really well. He can afford to hire a helper one day a week now.
His FB post today was applauding the rain because there's no line, so today's the day to hit the chippy van. Great hours too; he closes up at 4 o'clock.

Of course, you have to work in a van all day.
No I won't I will get someone on minimum wage and off they trot
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

No I won't I will get someone on minimum wage and off they trot

(probably me)
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:28 am

(probably me)
It can be arranged lol
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:36 am

It can be arranged lol
It's just that my minimum wage is so high.
I will NOT work for fish!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:37 am

It's just that my minimum wage is so high.
I will NOT work for fish!
What about if I throw in a sausage
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Bourbons not some cheap crap imitation real Bourbons anyone seen any!!
I don't much care for them, so I haven't purchased them, but I have seen them in my local Indian grocer. They also sell Enos for when you overindulge on the Bourbons. It might be worthwhile checking an Indian grocer out.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
I don't much care for them, so I haven't purchased them, but I have seen them in my local Indian grocer. They also sell Enos for when you overindulge on the Bourbons. It might be worthwhile checking an Indian grocer out.
You know I never did care much for them either when back in the UK but I just had this want factor as of late lol
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

You know I never did care much for them either when back in the UK but I just had this want factor as of late lol
Ha! Isn't that always the way? You can't get whatever it is, so then you (or rather I) want it.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I find chocolate bourbons and custard creams in Biglots, they taste fine to me
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:14 pm

I found Weetabix in O"Brians market place in modesto today for $4.99 24 box thats not a bad price

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.