Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

alan280170 is just really nicealan280170 is just really nicealan280170 is just really nicealan280170 is just really nicealan280170 is just really nicealan280170 is just really nicealan280170 is just really nicealan280170 is just really nice
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by Weeze
Another Houston specific one.
Phoenicia, 12141 Westheimer sells a huge range of british food at reasonable prices. I saw lots of chocolate, Ribena, Heinz beans etc. Not much more than UK prices.
Hubble and Hudson (in the Woodlands anyway), do all the british chocolate and more, yorkie/crunchies/bounty/cadburys etc, about a $1.50 each and they are imported as I checked the wrapping.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 2:34 pm
Merry in Maryland

xenastoyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rach1015
omg thats the best tip i have found so far reading this thread!! thankyou
From the Galaxy website:-

ENGLISH GALAXY® CHOCOLATE BAR
What we call a DOVE® Chocolate Bar in the United States is known as a GALAXY® Bar in the UK.

From Wiki:-
However, the chocolate used in Dove products in the United States is different in taste from the chocolate used in Galaxy in the United Kingdom.

Galaxy/Dove suffers from the same problem with banned ingredients that Cadbury's does hence the different taste.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 2:41 pm
Merry in Maryland

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I think I'd take a Wholefoods over CostPlus. We still have the latter, but our nearest Wholefoods is two states over in Colorado Springs. Really - 360 miles and it's closer than any of their branches in TX.
Did you know there are closer Wholefoods and your nearest is 220+ miles away in Santa Fe?!! It's crazy the way everything in Texas is so spread out. My nearest is in Austin only 45 miles away!

I've passed through Amarillo several times this year and last on my drive to and from Denver.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

Our 2 local HEB and Kroger in Katy do a wide range of British foods. The Robinsons squash is a bit pricy (around $5 for a wee bottle) but other than that, I can live with the cost. We simply must have Heinz beans in the cupboard right?

I was also delighted to see that Target had a whole pile of Terrys chocolate oranges (in various flavours) in stock last week. I bought 4. They lasted 2 days!

I always meet expats when browsing in the British section of the supermarket, which is quite nice. I have also helped out a native, who did not know what English mustard powder was (she had a recipe in hand).

So all in all, I am happy with the selection of goodies. I don't really miss sausages and I like the bacon over here.

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 3:32 pm
Merry in Maryland

Our local HEB only has Golden Syrup but we drive about 30 miles to the nearest HEB superstore in Leander which has a decent stock of Brit staples. My Texan mum-in-law loves HP sauce.

American mustard is so, erm bland, over stated blandness at its blandest but they have it on everything. If i can't buy I cook it, sausages, pasties, porkpies, etc. the kitchen is the hub on my world. A couple of weeks ago I made pate and gave some to Ma. She throughly enjoyed it, covered in mustard of course!

Costplus sales are my favs. I got several of those mega tins of Heinz baked beans (5lbs?) for only $5 each their clearance sale, the store has since closed down!
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

What's HEB?
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jscl
What's HEB?
grocery store...not nationwide though.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks... not here unfortunately.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

HEB is possibly the best supermarket in the world. I love it. I knew it started in Texas but didn't realise it wasn't nationwide. Sorry.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:21 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
If you look hard you'll find Safeway are also selling 2 Terry's chocolate oranges for $7 saw them today amongst that Fererrrrooo Rocheeeee stuff.
OK BUT today QFC were selling 2/$5.. so I got some, real ones too.... nomnomnomnom.. and ferrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrroo rocheeeee!
Because I am worth it!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jscl
What's HEB?
Originally Posted by Lazzza
HEB is possibly the best supermarket in the world. I love it. I knew it started in Texas but didn't realise it wasn't nationwide. Sorry.

HEB is the initials of the man who started the buisness.His name was Howard E Butt.

I guess they thought the initials were better than calling the store Butts!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 12:41 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Burn1911
OK BUT today QFC were selling 2/$5.. so I got some, real ones too.... nomnomnomnom.. and ferrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrroo rocheeeee!
Because I am worth it!!!
I bought some from our local store yesterday - they are made in POLAND ! Since when have the Poles been good at chocolate - the Swiss, Belgians, even the French (at a push) but the POLES? I know Terry's packed in their operation in York a few years ago - but surely they could have done better that that. Terry's of Poland doesn't quite have the same ring to it...
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:07 pm
Merry in Maryland

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
HEB is the initials of the man who started the buisness.His name was Howard E Butt.

I guess they thought the initials were better than calling the store Butts!
I was not impressed by any supermarkets while in Colorado but HEB is the closest to a Brit store (be it still somewhat mediocre) plus they have amazing weekly deals. By the meat and get another 5 - 7 items for free to make up the meal.

Another question....

With all the smoked food available why can I not get any decent smoked sea fish? What I wouldn't do for some smoked haddock, yellow peril or fresh kippers!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:23 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xenastoyboy
I was not impressed by any supermarkets while in Colorado but HEB is the closest to a Brit store (be it still somewhat mediocre) plus they have amazing weekly deals. By the meat and get another 5 - 7 items for free to make up the meal.

Another question....

With all the smoked food available why can I not get any decent smoked sea fish? What I wouldn't do for some smoked haddock, yellow peril or fresh kippers!
I have a smoker and one of these days I am going to try smoking some haddock, alas at the moment I can get the boil in a bag smoked haddock for around $7, love it with a couple of poached eggs on top

Found several british stores will sell it, usually have to ask.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So Trader Joes had loads of their choc oranges this year, $2.50 each, so picked a few up on our trek.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.