Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old May 4th 2020, 12:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
She already said she bought some from Amazon and they had a short shelf life.
Old May 4th 2020, 12:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
She already said she bought some from Amazon and they had a short shelf life.
Of course I remember reading that yesterday. Even though I’ve been up for 3 hours, I am obviously not awake.

I am using PGTips I bought in the UK 3 years ago and they are just fine. I have probably got another 4 boxes of 240 to use. I wouldn’t be too bothered about sell by dates of dried tea leaves.

IMO opinion sell by dates are another way of making you spend more money. If it looks OK, smells OK and tastes OK then it is probably OK.
Old May 4th 2020, 12:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
.... I am using PGTips I bought in the UK 3 years ago and they are just fine. I wouldn’t be too bothered about sell by dates of dried tea leaves.
We buy them from Amazon too, and despite getting a giant double pack, we use it quickly enough that the date isn't an issue - and honestly I don't even know what the marked life of the last boxes we bought was, and I agree, as a dried leaf product sealed inside plastic, I wouldn't be worried about using the tea well beyond it's marked life. ..... And my (very limited) experience of buying British groceries in the US from my local grocery is that the marked life is often quite short.
Old May 4th 2020, 12:42 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maya1000
Does anyone know a good place to buy PG tips teabags? I bought some online recently from Amazon, it arrived last week, but the expiry date is October 2020, and I want to buy from somewhere that provides a fresher product which won't expire before I finish it. Thanks in advance.
Publix sell PG Tips. Also World Market. I'm awaiting an order from British Food Department. They have loads of stuff. I would order from them before Amazon, as it is a company run by ex-pats. Give them the business. One thing I ordered was orange/pineapple low sugar squash.
Old May 4th 2020, 12:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We buy them from Amazon too, and despite getting a giant double pack, we use it quickly enough that the date isn't an issue - and honestly I don't even know what the marked life of the last boxes we bought was, and I agree, as a dried leaf product sealed inside plastic, I wouldn't be worried about using the tea well beyond it's marked life. ..... And my (very limited) experience of buying British groceries in the US from my local grocery is that the marked life is often quite short.
I haven’t ordered them from Amazon because I always bring a suitcase full of PGTips back from the UK. Now our parents are no longer with us, our trips will be less frequent and I am now down to my last few boxes of 240.

Always used to have fun at customs when bringing them back into the US. Goodness knows what they thought the thousands of little bags contained.
Old May 4th 2020, 3:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maya1000
Does anyone know a good place to buy PG tips teabags? I bought some online recently from Amazon, it arrived last week, but the expiry date is October 2020, and I want to buy from somewhere that provides a fresher product which won't expire before I finish it. Thanks in advance.
Definitely luck of the draw. I usually get them from Amazon and they have a long shelf life.

That said, if I'm in the area of Westford for something else, I swing by British Delights, as they usually have them cheap from the dented box bin, which never seems to have anything wrong with them as far as seals go or the content. They do ship, but I wouldn't know how their shipping is.
Old May 10th 2020, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Publix sell PG Tips. Also World Market. I'm awaiting an order from British Food Department. They have loads of stuff. I would order from them before Amazon, as it is a company run by ex-pats. Give them the business. One thing I ordered was orange/pineapple low sugar squash.
Yep, PG tips always in stock at my local Publix.....but at about twice the price of Tetley British blend - which is more my staple given the cost discrepancy
Old May 12th 2020, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

So is Ralphs, and they sell PG Tips.
Cool. I had no idea that Ralphs sells PG Tips. Not that we need any more at the moment, as I practically cleared out Cost Plus in March when Trump declared the US to be closed to all European flights.
Old May 18th 2020, 9:43 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Few years ago we moved within NYC to a part of Queens that has a long standing Irish and Greek population, as well as Korean. My local Food Universe store which is within walking distance, now has a "euro" section with Branston pickle, chocolate hobnobs, digestives, cadbury's fingers, baked beans, HP sauce, Brennans bread, Donnelly's bacon, sausages, sausage rolls, weetabix and smokey bacon crisps.
As someone who isn't a full vegan but stays away from meat and dairy, this has been my greatest test!
Old May 18th 2020, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
As someone who isn't a full vegan but stays away from meat and dairy, this has been my greatest test!
I should have thought that moving to a country where those are the two main ingredients in every meal would have been your greatest challenge!!
Old May 19th 2020, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I should have thought that moving to a country where those are the two main ingredients in every meal would have been your greatest challenge!!
Just substitute meat and dairy for low fructose corn syrup
Old May 20th 2020, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if you can order any British Aldi products online anywhere to be shipped to the US? Love the Aldi cheap chicken noodles and prefer the dark chocolate digestives over mcvities lol
Old May 20th 2020, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Most ‘British’ Aldi products are actually imported from Aldi’s home in Germany. Have you looked at US Aldi?
Old May 20th 2020, 10:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

ALDI have stores in the US. Try Google to find the nearest store.
Old May 21st 2020, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

...or what I said!