Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Nov 22nd 2017, 11:49 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by mrken30
I did get a couple of boxes of Cadbury's fingers last week for $1 a box from Grocery Outlet. Makes a change for UK food to be cheaper in the US.
"Grocery Outlet" - is that like a surplus store (who buy stuff at wholesale prices 'cos the dates are about to expire, etc)?
We have 2 of those stores close to us which are a treasure trove of ex-pat stuff. Usually good for a haul of HP Sauce, Heinz beans, Ribena, biscuits and other goodies at the right price.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 1:50 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by Ecto17
As soon as started reading your post, l knew you were going to say Gary's!! The cheese there is yummy there too!!
Finished our U.K. supply of Jaffa cakes this evening so will be off their soon!
Yes, have made trips to Gary’s for years, as well as buying things from the international aisle at ‘Stop and Shop’ next door If my husband hadn’t recently been on a trip to London and brought back a 1 litre bottle of Bailey’s I would have bought some in Gary’s (although I may go back for a new salted caramel version 0. However, I only live about 3 blocks from the excellent Wine Library on Rt 124 so I usually buy my wine, beer and enjoy the cheese samples there too lol! I was there this afternoon...

Another source of things like Rich Tea biscuits, Digestives, Ribena etc. is the Kam Man Asian grocery store on Rt 10 in East Hanover (same parking lot as Home Depot). Also for UK items (but often made under licence in Asian ex-Colonial countries is on Oak Tree Road, Iselin, Edison (near the Metropark on the Garden State Parkway). It’s known as ‘Little India’ as it has a large Indian expat population...not only a great place to go for curries but the grocery stores often have UK items including biscuits, Lucozade, Ribena, cordials, Pears soap and very cheap spices.

Oh...and the Aldi stores always have Jaffa Cakes (under a different name)! There is one on Rt 124 in Union, I rarely go but I guess coming up to Christmas they’ve probably got European-style Christmas items in, so perhaps it’s worth popping over there in the next couple of weeks or so.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Yes, have made trips to Gary’s for years, as well as buying things from the international aisle at ‘Stop and Shop’ next door If my husband hadn’t recently been on a trip to London and brought back a 1 litre bottle of Bailey’s I would have bought some in Gary’s (although I may go back for a new salted caramel version 0. However, I only live about 3 blocks from the excellent Wine Library on Rt 124 so I usually buy my wine, beer and enjoy the cheese samples there too lol! I was there this afternoon...

Another source of things like Rich Tea biscuits, Digestives, Ribena etc. is the Kam Man Asian grocery store on Rt 10 in East Hanover (same parking lot as Home Depot). Also for UK items (but often made under licence in Asian ex-Colonial countries is on Oak Tree Road, Iselin, Edison (near the Metropark on the Garden State Parkway). It’s known as ‘Little India’ as it has a large Indian expat population...not only a great place to go for curries but the grocery stores often have UK items including biscuits, Lucozade, Ribena, cordials, Pears soap and very cheap spices.

Oh...and the Aldi stores always have Jaffa Cakes (under a different name)! There is one on Rt 124 in Union, I rarely go but I guess coming up to Christmas they’ve probably got European-style Christmas items in, so perhaps it’s worth popping over there in the next couple of weeks or so.
Delight Big Bazaar, Indian supermarket on 46W in Parsippany also has a good selection of British goodies at much better prices than I have found elsewhere, including big bars of UK Dairy Milk for $3.49 (although I just bought them all) They are $8 at the British pie shop in Montclair
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 2:11 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by mum 2 3
Delight Big Bazaar, Indian supermarket on 46W in Parsippany also has a good selection of British goodies at much better prices than I have found elsewhere, including big bars of UK Dairy Milk for $3.49 (although I just bought them all) They are $8 at the British pie shop in Montclair
Isn’t the “UK” Dairy Milk manufactured in Poland these days? I know that when Kraft purchased Cadbury’s they’d promised the UK government that they would keep open their factories in England....then promptly closed the factory in Bristol and moved production to Poland (Then Kraft split the business and some of their food/snacks production is under the name of Mondalez).

I won’t buy the Terry’s Chocolate Oranges as they too have been manufactured in Poland for some years now. However, I’ve been spoilt as we were in Switzerland for 5 years and their chocs are outstanding (and you can get it in Trader Joe’s :thumbs up)
Old Nov 25th 2017, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Isn’t the “UK” Dairy Milk manufactured in Poland these days? I know that when Kraft purchased Cadbury’s they’d promised the UK government that they would keep open their factories in England....then promptly closed the factory in Bristol and moved production to Poland (Then Kraft split the business and some of their food/snacks production is under the name of Mondalez).
I just checked our latest "UK" supplies and it doesn't appear to say where it was made, which I thought it would have. Says "made under licence from Cadbury UK Ltd" and lists a UK and Ireland address for Mondalez. Still appears to taste yummy!
Old Nov 27th 2017, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't the ones (Dairy Milk) sold here made in Canada? They are similar but not exactly the same.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 6:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
Aren't the ones (Dairy Milk) sold here made in Canada? They are similar but not exactly the same.
Not sure if they are because Dairy Milks in Canada taste slightly different to the ones we get down here, which are 'made under license' by Hershey I think.

I don't actually mind them all the same, though.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Canada thing might be a marketing gimmick actually, probably seen a few places show the item as Imported, or maybe my mind is finally lost!

it is indeed Hershey's who have the license to sell it in the USA - they appear to import the dried ingredients and then mix it themselves, creating the subtle, but evident, variation. It has a tiny bit of baby sick added, but not as much as normal Hershey's I guess.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Not specifically a UK thing per se, but I'm making chocolate dipped shortbread this weekend, and I told my GF I would need caster sugar. She looked at me like I was a lunatic, and said they don't have that here. So my question is, what is similar here to that?

Also, best baking chocolate to use for covering biscuits here? I want something sweet, like we would have back in England.

Sorry for posting here, I just didn't want to start a new thread just for this!
Old Nov 30th 2017, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caster Sugar can be ordered online, but my wife hasn't found anything like it in the shops near us.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 5:28 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Just stick ordinary sugar in a blender, you get caster sugar, or you can buy it, but i cant remember what its called - possibly baking sugar or confectioners sugar, icing sugar is powdered sugar.

Chocolate - good luck, never saw anything decent in the us, ghirardelli probably do something though. If you can find pure cocoa powder [no added anything] that can usually be used.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Confectioners Sugar is the closest you can buy off the shelf, not the same though.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

We generally use the semi-sweet baking chocolate bars or drops. They taste fine to me, but it may be an acquired taste. Not sure if looking at chocolate fondue recipes would help.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

You get less less servings from a box of Cadbury's fingers bought in the US. In the UK a serving is 4 fingers, in the US a serving is 6 fingers.

Why is it when you talk about food, serving sizes are larger in the US, but when talking about beer, the servings are smaller.

Last week I was offered a 6 oz or 10 oz serving of beer. WTF, who drinks 6 oz (1/4 UK pint)
Old Dec 1st 2017, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's a sample :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.