Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by Bink
Some of us like things that we were brought up on. Call it nostalgic if you will.

Doesn't mean we don't like American food either. If I went back to the UK, I'd miss BBQ and Tex Mex (amongst others) and would probably be looking at ways to get 'the good stuff'. This is no different.

It's not a case of not adapting at all. I'm not looking for all my meals to be 'British', it's just nice to have certain things now and then.

Even my wife (American) is a convert to Cadbury's chocolate (the real stuff, not the Hershey wannabe stuff).

And as Brits we have to have mince pies at Christmas! I'll be on the look out for the Robertson's mincemeat to make my own.

I would also miss a lot of the American food if we moved back.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil75

And as Brits we have to have mince pies at Christmas! I'll be on the look out for the Robertson's mincemeat to make my own.

I would also miss a lot of the American food if we moved back.
It's okay. They have Burger King and McDonalds in Blighty.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of

Discovered cinnamon crumpets at Market Basket recently. They taste surprisingly good and our 18 month old seems to enjoy them which is a bonus!
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us like things that we were brought up on. Call it nostalgic if you will.

Doesn't mean we don't like American food either. If I went back to the UK, I'd miss BBQ and Tex Mex (amongst others) and would probably be looking at ways to get 'the good stuff'. This is no different.

It's not a case of not adapting at all. I'm not looking for all my meals to be 'British', it's just nice to have certain things now and then.

Even my wife (American) is a convert to Cadbury's chocolate (the real stuff, not the Hershey wannabe stuff).
It's weird what you miss.

The missus when she lived in England was over the moon when she found a box of manky Kraft Mac and Cheese in Sainsbury's one day
Old Nov 12th 2013, 12:40 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's weird what you miss.

The missus when she lived in England was over the moon when she found a box of manky Kraft Mac and Cheese in Sainsbury's one day
Lol! My missus is the same! She loves the stuff.

I am slowly bringing her round to homemade Mac & Cheese...

I love Ribena but it's so bloody expensive here I've had to drop my habit!
Old Nov 12th 2013, 1:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Lol! My missus is the same! She loves the stuff.

I am slowly bringing her round to homemade Mac & Cheese...

I love Ribena but it's so bloody expensive here I've had to drop my habit!
The funny thing is, she doesn't really like it, prefers Annie's if we've got to do the box stuff for kids, but at the time, it was just that bit of home, as was finding a bottle of Mountain Dew.

Home made Mac is lovely though....but I think I have a defective child, as the youngest doesn't like cheese....how did that happen?
Old Nov 12th 2013, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

jamesshaffer has a brilliant futurejamesshaffer has a brilliant futurejamesshaffer has a brilliant futurejamesshaffer has a brilliant futurejamesshaffer has a brilliant futurejamesshaffer has a brilliant future

I see that most of us are alreay half way to cooking home dishes on our own) In that case we at least know whom to blame for the result and betrayed expectations just in case.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

Whoo-hooooo!!! Got my Thornton's from BBB. Thanks for the tip. Big box of mixed mousses, pralines and truffles.

When I was at home I never ate pies or sausage rolls or any of that stuff. But over here searched it out.

Of course the chocolate I've always had a problem with... but that's the first step... she says eying the Thorntons...
Old Nov 12th 2013, 7:04 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The funny thing is, she doesn't really like it, prefers Annie's if we've got to do the box stuff for kids, but at the time, it was just that bit of home, as was finding a bottle of Mountain Dew.

Home made Mac is lovely though....but I think I have a defective child, as the youngest doesn't like cheese....how did that happen?
I agree, I have a great recipe for jalapeno mac & cheese that's pretty awesome. It's a baked M&C which I think really makes it - love the crispy little bits you get on top as a result.

My boy doesn't like Pizza...?! My wife and I are convinced that can't be related to us as a result...! Who doesn't like Pizza?!

My local HEB has started stocking McVities Ginger Nuts at a decent price (off the top of my head $2.40 or similar).
Old Nov 12th 2013, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

My boy doesn't like Pizza...?! My wife and I are convinced that can't be related to us as a result...! Who doesn't like Pizza?!
Our son's the same, and our thoughts are too! We went to Crete in April, and found a place where they offered cheese pizza (literally just that - pizza bread with grated cheese on top), and he loved it. You have no idea how excited we were that he actually tried pizza for the first time!!
Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Our youngest also doesn't like proper pizza. Will eat that cardboard with a level of snot that's called cheese that you get at manky places like Price Chopper food areas and the like. Only bit of cheese she likes...proper bit of pizza and it's no, not a chance
Old Nov 14th 2013, 1:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Target had Terry's Chocs, from Poland, for $3
Old Nov 14th 2013, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a box of Walkers 6 mince pies for $5.99 from Home Goods at the weekend. They reminded me of M&S mince pies and within 2 days I had eaten them all. Went back today to get some more and they were sold out. Hubby prefers home made ones.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 1:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
I bought a box of Walkers 6 mince pies for $5.99 from Home Goods at the weekend. They reminded me of M&S mince pies and within 2 days I had eaten them all. Went back today to get some more and they were sold out. Hubby prefers home made ones.
King's Supermarkets have them this time of year...along with Walker's Christmas Pudding. Gary's usually stock Mr Kipling's mince pies.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
King's Supermarkets have them this time of year...along with Walker's Christmas Pudding. Gary's usually stock Mr Kipling's mince pies.
No King's near me . Wegmans has Tiptree Christmas and Plum puddings but they are quite pricey, sometimes they have mince pies but not seen them yet this year. My Mum brings over the pudding every year. Aldi pudding came out top in the ratings so that's what we're having this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.