Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:20 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by MattySD
Here are the cookies - the products all seem to be branded "Tescos Finest":

http://i41.servimg.com/u/f41/11/31/15/91/tesco-10.jpg

Judging by the display in my local F&E, with many of the items sold out, it seems to be a successful strategy.
Matty, was it the 4S Ranch F&E? That way I know to look next time I go in (will look anyway).
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SDDep
Matty, was it the 4S Ranch F&E? That way I know to look next time I go in (will look anyway).
Yes indeed, that's my closest store.

Originally Posted by Guindalf
this is almost as bad as them calling a pie made with beef and mashed potatoes "Shepherd's Pie"!

It's a COTTAGE PIE people!! Shepherd's Pie is made with minced LAMB.
Yes, this is a constant source of irritation to me. The clue is in the name. It's basically down to American's squeamishness about Mutton/Lamb - I have no idea where it comes from.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, and by the way - I get my ground Lamb at North Park Produce in Poway - it's the only place locally that sells it - that way I can make real Shepherds Pie!
Old Nov 21st 2012, 3:33 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

I've got a four-day weekend coming up and lots of wine to drink while I catch up on a bunch of these threads.

But in the mean time, if anyone finds themselves in New Orleans, we have a great Irish restaurant called The Irish House on St Charles Ave which has a lovely little shop that stocks all sorts of British goodies. They do particularly well with sweets and chocolate.

I'm sure it's this place, and not the New Orleans food in general, that has been responsible for my recent weight gain.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Katsu is an unknown quantity at this point

Walkers biscuits are doing an offer today for $50 worth items for $25 (coupon code 50FOR25), see http://www.walkersus.com/. They also have things like mince pies, Xmas pud etc.

Just need to exercise patience now while I wait for the biscuit parcel to arrive
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

For the folks in Maine.

The Brit shop in Freeport, they had tins of Roses for $27, but the massive refill bags were $15, which is much better than those little cardboard boxes at $13
Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
All I know is the ones they sell in F&E when I see them are basically sausage rolls. Sausage wrapped in pastry, not croissants, not bacon - pastry.
Went into F&E and couldn't see them anywhere. Are they in the frozen section? could you post a picture of the packaging?
Being in Arizona our F&Es carry a lot of Mexican food so I'm wondering if we don't have much room left over for what many other F&E stores have in stock. Or are they all supposed to stock the same?

On a side note I did find out they have single serving and double size (which I would call full size, serves 4) beef pot pies and chicken pot pies. Both were marked with the new label and can be found in the ready made meals refrigerator section. They have a flakey butter crust which is nice and thick and they come in a foil tray, they are much better than Marie Callenders or Banquet pies.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:06 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Regardless of the name, I have just bought some mini sausages wrapped in pastry, labeled pigs in blankets, by F&E. Just had a couple with lunch and they were really nice, very sausage rollish. For anyone looking for them in store, they were with the fresh ready meal selection, not in the meat section.
Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Went into F&E and couldn't see them anywhere. Are they in the frozen section? could you post a picture of the packaging?
Being in Arizona our F&Es carry a lot of Mexican food so I'm wondering if we don't have much room left over for what many other F&E stores have in stock. Or are they all supposed to stock the same?

On a side note I did find out they have single serving and double size (which I would call full size, serves 4) beef pot pies and chicken pot pies. Both were marked with the new label and can be found in the ready made meals refrigerator section. They have a flakey butter crust which is nice and thick and they come in a foil tray, they are much better than Marie Callenders or Banquet pies.
Here you go. I think they just carry them in the run up to TG and Christmas though
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if its been mentioned yet but I found a large tin of Cadburys biscuits in Wal-mart for $9.95. Made in the UK and they taste delicious ! Wallys also have Walkers shortbread.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 6:51 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Here you go. I think they just carry them in the run up to TG and Christmas though
I think there was a problem with the picture coming through, but thanks for trying. I'll keep checking my store hopefully before it closes down
Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:10 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I think there was a problem with the picture coming through, but thanks for trying. I'll keep checking my store hopefully before it closes down
There wasn't a picture, just a description of what section they were in.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:12 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

No because I'm trying to find them too. They usually have them right by the door around holiday times. Near the sandwiches and pizzas they stack there.

On a side note I did find out they have single serving and double size (which I would call full size, serves 4) beef pot pies and chicken pot pies.
They're too big, unless you're feeding a family, portion sizes in F&E are a bit on the big side. Look at the weight and fat content on the "small" ones.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

The Great Bacon Debate continues...

I haven't gone back through the thread, so apologies if I'm repeating old information, but it's new to me, so here goes.

My wife was looking at some of the British bacon sites to find me some and she came across this site...

http://balsonbutchers.com

Not the cheapest, but apart from a handling charge, shipping is free! I just ordered 4lbs of bacon and 2lbs of bangers for a total of $88.50 shipped!

I've seen sites with cheaper per-pound prices but they want up to $73 just for shipping!

As for quality, it looks good, but I'll update when it arrives.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Britmom3 is just really niceBritmom3 is just really niceBritmom3 is just really niceBritmom3 is just really niceBritmom3 is just really niceBritmom3 is just really niceBritmom3 is just really niceBritmom3 is just really nice

Balson sausages are so good. Costco sell them every year around St Patricks day so I make sure I buy a load and put them in the freezer
Old Dec 20th 2012, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

My Balson order is out for delivery today, so it's bacon, sausage and eggs for dinner tonight, maybe with beans and fried bread!

Stay tuned for a review!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.