Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Nov 15th 2012, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

New-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really nice
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by N1cky
OOOH!!! Did they have anything exciting?
I should have taken a photo. They had choc covered ginger biscuits, and lots of jars of things (pickled onions, cranberry sauce, that sort of thing). I sort of stared, picked up a jar of caramelised red onions and then walked off, with a fuzzy feeling at having seen Tesco packaging.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 10:31 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve_
Is it my imagination or has F&E become more "Americanized", they don't seem to carry back bacon anymore and they used to have Fox's biscuits once in awhile. I noticed a few other things seem to have gone missing. E.g. pigs in a blanket aka sausage rolls, although they only ever seemed to have those around Thanksgiving and Christmas.
The F&Es in East Valley of Phoenix still carry British Back Bacon as I just got six packs at the weekend. However they do not seem to carry a large amount, one maybe two boxes, but stock up this time of year due to the winter visitors.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 12:30 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
In what universe are pigs in a blanket the same as sausage rolls???????
In the universe called Fresh & Easy.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 12:31 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
The F&Es in East Valley of Phoenix still carry British Back Bacon as I just got six packs at the weekend.
That's where I was, in the east valley, I asked one of the people in the store, he said he didn't think they stocked it anymore. So you bought it all did you.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Guindalf
In what universe are pigs in a blanket the same as sausage rolls???????

PIAB are similar to toad-in-the-hole, wrapped in batter, NOT pastry!

Pigs in a blanket are nothing like Toad in the Hole...Pigs in a Blanket are wrapped in a crescent type roll (croissant like) so yes they are wrapped in Pastry. Toad in the Hole is made with a batter like you would make Yorkshire puddings with.

Pigs in a Blanket
Old Nov 16th 2012, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maltoo
Pigs in a blanket are nothing like Toad in the Hole...Pigs in a Blanket are wrapped in a crescent type roll (croissant like) so yes they are wrapped in Pastry. Toad in the Hole is made with a batter like you would make Yorkshire puddings with.

Pigs in a Blanket
http://s3.amazonaws.com/images.zipli...rge_square.jpg
A croissant or crescent type roll is not pastry.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maltoo

Pigs in a Blanket
http://s3.amazonaws.com/images.zipli...rge_square.jpg
Pigs in blankets are sausages wrapped in bacon.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Pig in blankets refer to a variety of different sausage based foods.
They largly vary by region. The photo above shows an American version which is often served as an hors d'oeuvre, while the UK one would be wrapped in bacon an often served as an accompaniment to roast turkey for Christmas dinner.

Neither is the same as a sauage roll
Old Nov 16th 2012, 3:38 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by New-and-unsure
I should have taken a photo. They had choc covered ginger biscuits, and lots of jars of things (pickled onions, cranberry sauce, that sort of thing). I sort of stared, picked up a jar of caramelised red onions and then walked off, with a fuzzy feeling at having seen Tesco packaging.
I went last night, kind of disappointed I had hoped for more I did get some onion relish and horseradish sauce though.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Pig in blankets refer to a variety of different sausage based foods.
They largly vary by region. The photo above shows an American version which is often served as an hors d'oeuvre, while the UK one would be wrapped in bacon an often served as an accompaniment to roast turkey for Christmas dinner.

Neither is the same as a sauage roll
Totally agree and since we are on the USA board I took it for granted we were talking about American Pigs in a Blanket compared to sausage rolls and was saying that PIB are not the same as Toad in the hole.

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
not down South...never has been. google pigs in a blanket..of all the pics that come up and I mean hundreds of them only about 1% are wrapped in bacon the rest are wrapped in pastry.

Originally Posted by rebs
A croissant or crescent type roll is not pastry.
It is where I live. It is a savory pastry not a sweet one.
"Croissants are essentially puff pastry with the addition of yeast, and typically baked in the shape of a crescent."

Last edited by Maltoo; Nov 16th 2012 at 7:18 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

New-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really nice

To me, uk pigs in blankets are wrapped in bacon. I didn't even know a different type of PIB existed. If you go to google.co.uk and search pigs in blankets in images, this is the first:
Attached Thumbnails UK Foods in the US Share your finds!-pigs-blankets.jpg  
Old Nov 17th 2012, 12:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Wegmans had Ribina and Robinsons down to $5 a bottle, which seems pretty decent.

They also had the biggest collection of Irn Bru I've ever seen.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 3:10 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Wegmans had Ribina and Robinsons down to $5 a bottle, which seems pretty decent.

They also had the biggest collection of Irn Bru I've ever seen.
I love Irn Bru, hardly ever see it on the West coast
Old Nov 17th 2012, 3:29 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

I get 6 bottles from Amazon every couple of months for $8, it is part of their subscribe and save program.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._product_title
Old Nov 17th 2012, 4:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a fan...but when sick with the flu, as a kid, did always used to have a Lucozade, hated it other wise. Is that even still around? Not seen it for donkeys.

It's weird really as the missus always wants either Mountain Dew or Ginger Ale when she's feeling a bit poorly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.