Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods at regular stores

UK Foods at regular stores

Old Mar 29th 2004, 5:26 pm
Carrot Cruncher

pilgrim22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I have the same Proctor-Silex kettle that ms_bhon has above. Got mine at Linens'n'Things or Bed Bath & Beyond, can't remember which (stores are very similar). Does the job nicely and for only $15. Doesn't have a removeable lid, but how hard is it to tip the wadder out of the keddle anyway?
Old Mar 29th 2004, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by crazi_daizi
Hello, fellow timeline bud, how fares you? I admit to emitting high pitched squeals on discovery of the chocolate, similar to those of a strangled cat
Ah, not too bad... just got off the phone to the shipping company who currently have 28 boxes of my junk. It's passed through customs, apparently without problem, but an inspection was carried out and they've charged me $82.50 for the privilege. Another 5-10 day wait for the delivery company to get in touch to arrange a delivery date. I really, really wish I'd stuffed more of my CDs into my hand luggage now..!

Had a Hersheys bar with almonds from the vending machine this morning.. yack yack yack.. I'd almost kill for a yorkie bar.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 7:43 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future
Default Dang!

Here's that model for only $9.99 !! (electric kettle)

Originally posted by pilgrim22
I think I have the same Proctor-Silex kettle that ms_bhon has above. Got mine at Linens'n'Things or Bed Bath & Beyond, can't remember which (stores are very similar). Does the job nicely and for only $15. Doesn't have a removeable lid, but how hard is it to tip the wadder out of the keddle anyway?
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Can't remember the exact make/model of ours, but it's very similar to this one.

I don't recommend this to anyone.. due to the daft narrow top, you need to tip the thing right over to get the water out, instantly scalding your hand on the steam.

5 stars for looking cool and having a nice blue "on" light, but -10 for practicality...

Seems like there's plenty of shops around selling electric kettles, though (JC Penney, Sears, etc).
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sibsie
While we're on the subject I haven't been able to find an electric kettle anywhere. The only thing I can find are those ones that go on the hob and make the God awful noise when they've boiled.

I did actually get a great electric kettle from Walmart. GEC I think so they are around, it was a superstore walmart.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:09 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

I got a brilliant kettle form Target. It's a Phillips and it's wonderful.

It was $34.99. It looks and works like a nice modern British one.

Here's the link: Kettle
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I got a brilliant kettle form Target. It's a Phillips and it's wonderful.

It was $34.99. It looks and works like a nice modern British one.

Amazon sell a vast selection of kettles and have most makes available too, i.e. Russell Hobbs, Philips, T-Fal, Krups, etc.

I looked at all the electrical goods at WalMart and Target, but Amazon seem to have a lot more choice. You can also read reviews left by customers which can be helpful.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:33 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by 207lonsdale
Amazon sell a vast selection of kettles and have most makes available too, i.e. Russell Hobbs, Philips, T-Fal, Krups, etc.

I looked at all the electrical goods at WalMart and Target, but Amazon seem to have a lot more choice. You can also read reviews left by customers which can be helpful.
Blimey, I didn't even know Amazon sold kettles.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I have the very same kettle. I got it as a christmas present.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Blimey, I didn't even know Amazon sold kettles.
They sell just about everything! I have been buying online from them for a few years now and never once had a problem with delivery, service, etc. Had one item delivered that was faulty, called them and got the replacement next day! The prices are usually cheaper or the same as the stores and delivery is sometimes free too

Only downside is that I was used to next day delivery in the UK, but it takes a few days in the US unless you pay extra.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by 207lonsdale
They sell just about everything! I have been buying online from them for a few years now and never once had a problem with delivery, service, etc. Had one item delivered that was faulty, called them and got the replacement next day! The prices are usually cheaper or the same as the stores and delivery is sometimes free too

Only downside is that I was used to next day delivery in the UK, but it takes a few days in the US unless you pay extra.

And one other downside - the choice can be so vast that you spend hours trying to make your mind up! I probably spent an hour online looking at the kettles before I finally decided which one I wanted! lol
Old Mar 30th 2004, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing I had problems with was finding a whirly washing line. I finally found one and it was delivered last week. I spent hours on the internet looking for one.........
Old Mar 30th 2004, 1:02 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the kettle tips. I'm another who didn't have a clue about Amazon selling other things.

My local Bed Bath + doesn't have them, but I'll venture further into Boston this week to have a look. Maybe you can't get them round here after all that bother with the tea a while back.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Heather142 will become famous soon enoughHeather142 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by suzieque
The thing I had problems with was finding a whirly washing line. I finally found one and it was delivered last week. I spent hours on the internet looking for one.........
Hi Suzique,
I have been looking for a rotary washing line for weeks; where did you find yours?

Heather
Old Mar 30th 2004, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
Thanks for the kettle tips. I'm another who didn't have a clue about Amazon selling other things.

My local Bed Bath + doesn't have them, but I'll venture further into Boston this week to have a look. Maybe you can't get them round here after all that bother with the tea a while back.
Bed Bath and Beyond definately has electric kettles. We had one on our wedding registry there. No bugger bought us one though, hence the christmas present I spoke about earlier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.