Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods at regular stores

UK Foods at regular stores

Old Mar 28th 2004, 6:28 am
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a store nearby that seems to be a chain store, I think it's called Cost Plus World Market, they sell unusual furniture and other housey bits, but also have Heinz Baked beans much cheaper than in any Brit shop, Heinz Tomato Soup, Heinz Salad Cream and HP Sauce, tinned Ambrosia custard and Cadburys that Hersheys haven't got their filthy little hands on made in South Africa and tates divine! But, no bread
Old Mar 29th 2004, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they have them elsewhere "Albertsons" they stock loads of British goods:
Birds Custard
Trifle mixes
Ribena
Lemon barley water
lots of sweets
lots of british beers & cider
To name but a few. I have only just moved back here from UK before I was in Arkansas and could only get British goods from expensive special stores but here quite a few sell stuff. I'm happy.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 12:23 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

Actually, its the Super Fresh in Towson that has the wee British Section.

We also have Whole Foods and Trader Joes here as well.

I also noticed that Safeway (as well as WF) is now carrying Patak's curry pastes, but as I've got about 4 Indian restaurants near where I work and a decent one near home that delivers, I don't cook much of it at home.

Luckily, husband pharrya doesn't eat much in the way of baked beans, and I eat more HP Sauce and Branston Pickle than he does!

Aorund Christmas, I found some "made in England" limited edition Orangey and Minty Kit Kats in the Farm Store of all places, but have yet to see them since. If anyone knows where to find them here in the US/east coast, please post...

Originally posted by Pharrya
Safeway, Boston Street, Baltimore:

Weetabix (Oh yes), Marmite, and also the Tetley British Blend tea - Also some Cadbury chocolates, but those are actually 'subcontracted' out to Hersheys. Note that these are all found in the exotic foreign foods section.

The Giant store in Towson MD, has a small section that includes Yorkie Bars...
Old Mar 29th 2004, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]I've got about 4 Indian restaurants near where I work and a decent one near home that delivers, I don't cook much of it at home.
Aorund Christmas, I found some "made in England" limited edition Orangey and Minty Kit Kats in the Farm Store of all places,.
I found these in walmart at Christmas.

You lucky thing, we have no indian resturants here in my area of Florida and Orlando is 7 hrs away. I miss Indian food soooo much.
We can get the tinned but not the same
Old Mar 29th 2004, 12:55 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

My local Shaws does PG Tip Pyramid bags but $6 for a tiny pack. They have Yorkie bars, Aero, Ripple and all sorts of scrummy chocolate.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
All those goodies can be found in my local Giant, (ain't I the lucky one)?!

Flyergirl....You beauty !!

On Saturday, on the strength of the weather report (mid-70's and sunny) we decided to drive to Ocean City for the day.(about a 3 hour drive)
They got it totally wrong and it was cloudy all day !
However..........on the way there we stopped at Giant in Annapolis and Bingo........Crumpets.
My apologies to you if you went in there on Saturday afternoon looking for them, cos we emptied the shelf (selfish I know).
I now have 16 packs of crumpets in my freezer, and to top it all they were reduced from $2.99 to $1.59.
Crap weather but due to the elusive crumpets, a successful day.

Thanks again
Roger
Old Mar 29th 2004, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Do you have any Trader Joe's branches near you? I know they sell English crumpets. At least the branch near Silver Spring did (sorry, can't remember where it is. I think it's west of SSprg).

Sarah,
Thanks for the info, I looked at their web site and will certainly be popping in there. The nearest is Springfield which is only 1 hour away. looks like an interesting shop.
Cheers
Roger
Old Mar 29th 2004, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by crazi_daizi
We have a store nearby that seems to be a chain store, I think it's called Cost Plus World Market
I wandered into this place during my first week here and found myself at the checkout clutching a teapot and a bottle of HP sauce. Short of singing "God save the Queen", I don't think I could have appeared any more British.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 2:02 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

While we're on the subject I haven't been able to find an electric kettle anywhere. The only thing I can find are those ones that go on the hob and make the God awful noise when they've boiled.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 2:05 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!

Originally posted by sibsie
While we're on the subject I haven't been able to find an electric kettle anywhere. The only thing I can find are those ones that go on the hob and make the God awful noise when they've boiled.
Ha we had this problem, in fact we when we asked for one in Walmart, they asked if we wanted to go camping! Then said "You guys must be Briddish".... The only kettle they had in Walmart which is the size of a small island was a camping ut on the hob thing. Found one in Fry's eventually.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 2:21 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen electric kettles on Ebay and in Canada at reasonable prices.

My local Shaws does PG Tip Pyramid bags but $6 for a tiny pack. They have Yorkie bars, Aero, Ripple and all sorts of scrummy chocolate.
I recently discovered Shaws was owned by Sainsbury's since the mid '80s, but they've just sold them. Our local Shaws also has Tiptree jam (yuck), marmalade, bisto gravy, marmite, birds custard, loads of biscuits like custard creams, digestives etc, ribena, galaxy, bounty, and various nestle choc bars that I wouldn't want to buy anyway. Some other stuff too but can't remember right now
Old Mar 29th 2004, 2:40 pm
spiggle meister

Originally posted by Scorchio
I wandered into this place during my first week here and found myself at the checkout clutching a teapot and a bottle of HP sauce. Short of singing "God save the Queen", I don't think I could have appeared any more British.
Hello, fellow timeline bud, how fares you? I admit to emitting high pitched squeals on discovery of the chocolate, similar to those of a strangled cat
Old Mar 29th 2004, 2:58 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Flyergirl....You beauty !!

...on the way there we stopped at Giant in Annapolis and Bingo........Crumpets.
My apologies to you if you went in there on Saturday afternoon looking for them, cos we emptied the shelf (selfish I know)...
LOL My pleasure Roger - couldn't keep these goodies to myself!

No worries about clearing the shelf though, I have one packet left in the freezer and Giant are sure to restock again, (what stars)!

Enjoy your scrumptious crumpets.

Makes note to self to wander around Trader Joes in search of more yummy stuff for future Brit food fanatics
Old Mar 29th 2004, 3:01 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

I just bought one for the office yesterday at K Mart- Proctor Silex $14.99
We bought the one we have at home- well we registered for it at Target. Target has a few models- Bodum (the one we have) and Michael Graves (house brand), that all run around $30.

I saw some at Wal Mart a few weeks ago. You could probably order one online if none of these chains near you carry them.

Old Mar 29th 2004, 5:04 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

i got a bosch electric ketlke on line...

do a price comparison on www.pricegrabber.com to get the best deal

bit pricey tho.... looks cool

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/waterkettle.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.