Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uk firefighter

Uk firefighter

Old Jun 27th 2012, 3:11 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk firefighter

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Colorado is probably looking for firefighters about now.

Jim.
But it's irrelevant to the OP whether America needs ten thousand new firefighters or has ten thousand too many. Similarly (previous post) it's irrelevant whether he gets his paramedic certification or not.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 4:49 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

no offense either, but if my local council hired a foreign firefighter with 2 million people in ohio on the dole, it would be like committing political suicide.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mrmister
Thanks for the response. I'm not a US citizen and neither is my wife so that's a no go. I am an electrician by trade if that would help?! I have visited ca a bit and loved it, iv also taken an interest in the American firefighters techniques and jobs they attend, would love to live in a beautiful place and carry on my dream job.
Of all the countries in the English-speaking world, the greatest disparity between visiting and living in is to be found in America, as many here will tell you.

Where were you, your wife, your parents, and your wife's parents, born?

Last edited by calliope; Jun 27th 2012 at 7:40 am.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc
no offense either, but if my local council hired a foreign firefighter with 2 million people in ohio on the dole, it would be like committing political suicide.
Wow! That's half the population of New Zealand!
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, here is the list of visa options for the US. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways%3A_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

As you can see, neither a firefighter nor an electrician would qualify for any of those, so you'll need to think of a Plan B if you really want to move to the US.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrmister
Hi everyone, I'm new here and after a bit of advice. I'm thinking of moving to the USA, California to be exact. I'm a firefighter in the uk and was wondering if there are any of you who know if I could transfer to the USA as a firefighter? I know that the USA fire service is different to the uk I.E ladder coys, etc. I'm sure I heard of someone doing this a while ago but I may be mistaken. Has anyone here known or done a transfer of this kind? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie
Not sure if you need to be a US citizen for a f fighters job, you might have a better chance in a smaller state than CA, openings come often as the retirement packages are so good many f fighters retire at an early age as they all have second jobs to work at, I think you have to pass a f fighter one course before even applying to get on the list.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Fire Dept where I am is Volunteer, that does not mean money and goods do not change hands however.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The Fire Dept where I am is Volunteer, that does not mean money and goods do not change hands however.
You mean bribes ? Not where I live, knowing someone won't help either, the men can't even get their own kids on the job.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16
Not sure if you need to be a US citizen for a f fighters job, you might have a better chance in a smaller state than CA, openings come often as the retirement packages are so good many f fighters retire at an early age as they all have second jobs to work at, I think you have to pass a f fighter one course before even applying to get on the list.
The flip side, many of those smaller towns, in those smaller states are all volunteer and the level of skill varies from a couple of properly trained people to the completely inept getting a volunteer position because they're popular in town.

One advantage though out in the sticks, being able to get fire fighter plates for your car. FIL hasn't been the town fire chief for 15 years now, but he still has his fire chief plates and hasn't gotten a speeding ticket because of them
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
The flip side, many of those smaller towns, in those smaller states are all volunteer and the level of skill varies from a couple of properly trained people to the completely inept getting a volunteer position because they're popular in town.

One advantage though out in the sticks, being able to get fire fighter plates for your car. FIL hasn't been the town fire chief for 15 years now, but he still has his fire chief plates and hasn't gotten a speeding ticket because of them
Yes I can imagine volunteers haveing car plates, doubt you'd see paid guys having anything like that, some do have small stickers in the rear window, but never plates.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:13 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

they don't need plates. the local dibble will know who the first responders are. They'll see them enough.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 2:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16
Yes I can imagine volunteers haveing car plates, doubt you'd see paid guys having anything like that, some do have small stickers in the rear window, but never plates.
Around here and up in Maine, firefighter plates are needed for them to get the red lights on the grill, as they're volunteers, only a person or two man the fire truck.

Most drive straight out to a shout from where ever they're working in their own motor in the sticks, hence the need for the plates.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Free Gas for you and your Family is one of the biggies.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 3:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Boiler
Free Gas for you and your Family is one of the biggies.
That's not bad going! Don't get that around here
Old Jun 27th 2012, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
yeah, no hurricanes, tornados, dust storms, 6 ft snow difts, 105f scorchers,

I don't know how they stand it.
Brush fires, earthquakes...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.