UK family with an opportunity in Charlotte, NC

UK family with an opportunity in Charlotte, NC

Old Jul 23rd 2013, 5:05 pm
fog
Just Joined

fog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK family with an opportunity in Charlotte, NC

I-485 most days.
No meetup here I don't think. Once went to a Brit meetup in Indianapolis when we mistakenly moved there for 6 months - it was awful and vowed never to go to one again![/QUOTE]

Ohh the Dallas one was fun, but living in Dallas was awful. Maybe I will set up a meetup when I get to Charlotte, see if anyone want to go to the pub?
I'll have to look check out the traffic situation in that case.
Thanks!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 7:31 am
Just Joined

guynkate is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: UK family with an opportunity in Charlotte, NC

Hi,
It has been a while since I first raised this and would like to give you an update on our status.
So since posting I was working in Stockholm but will be moving to an office in Munich in August (this means that I will commute back home every weekend).
The move to the US is still on the cards but the position will be slightly delayed until March of 2014, we should get the ball rolling around October with the final yes or no decision.
Regarding the Tax side, I have confidence in my organisation, we are a global company with 90,000 people working for us and approx 1/4 of the organisation is based in North America, due to my nature of work now, I have spent more time working in and around Europe than in the UK and my organisation currently makes sure that all the tax's are paid for both my home and host countries without me loosing any of my salary
Old Jul 24th 2013, 2:19 pm
fog
Just Joined

fog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by guynkate
Hi,
It has been a while since I first raised this and would like to give you an update on our status.
So since posting I was working in Stockholm but will be moving to an office in Munich in August (this means that I will commute back home every weekend).
The move to the US is still on the cards but the position will be slightly delayed until March of 2014, we should get the ball rolling around October with the final yes or no decision.
Ok In which case I will let you know what I discover! Good luck!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 2:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK family with an oppertunity in Charlotte, NC

Originally Posted by fog
Ahhh .. Oh well looks like I might have to start asking my own questions now
Does anyone have any opinions on the SC side of Charlotte, we have a severely disabled 6 year old and it looks like SC is better about Medicaid (which comes in handy as health insurance won't cover wheelchairs and they cost about $4000)?
Also in Dallas there was an Expat Meetup group which was a lot of fun, is there anything like that is Charlotte? I googled it but can't find it.
Thanks
I have no hands-on experience of Medicaid, but SC has a generally bad reputation in respect of all government services, so be careful if you're going to be relying on government provided services. If you decide to locate in NC, any commute to, from, or through south Charlotte is painful, though it is generally the nicest and most expensive area to live in. If you work in south Charlotte I'd recommend living as close to work as you can afford to, otherwise given the cost and rush hour traffic I'd recommend looking elsewhere: Cornelius, Huntersville, or Highland Creek to the north and north east are nice areas.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fog
.... Ohh the Dallas one was fun, but living in Dallas was awful. Maybe I will set up a meetup when I get to Charlotte, see if anyone want to go to the pub?
I'll have to look check out the traffic situation in that case.
Thanks!
There is a British Club in Charlotte, and I used to get regular e-mails, though I haven't received one in a good while. I'm not sure if they still meet, I guess they do, but most likely my e-mail address was culled from their mailing list because I never attended their events.

The club seems to be based to the south/south west of Charlotte, and I remember that (at least) the Guy Fawkes night event takes place at a pub in Rock Hill, SC.

There is also a British style pub in south Charlotte, but the number of good quality bars here in Charlotte, with a range of "craft beers" on tap and decent food, is in the middle of an explosion, so there might not even be a need to trek across town for a few beers and some grub. There is not anywhere I know of in Charlotte that does a post-binge, i.e. cheap curry or a kebab!
Old Aug 5th 2013, 6:20 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

I live in Fort Mill, SC. 30 minute commute to downtown CLT and pretty similar time to most of south Charlotte (less to Ballantyne and pineville).

I chose fort mill for the schools and rental prices and absolutely love it here. The wife has no interest in leaving the area when we come to but. The schools have blown us away, and there are 2 now in construction.

Very happy to discuss more - message me if you'd like my email or phone number. Also, happy to meet up if anyone fancies it...
Old Aug 5th 2013, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by lj2
I live in Fort Mill, SC. 30 minute commute to downtown CLT and pretty similar time to most of south Charlotte (less to Ballantyne and pineville).

I chose fort mill for the schools and rental prices and absolutely love it here. The wife has no interest in leaving the area when we come to but. The schools have blown us away, and there are 2 now in construction. ....
Education is a divisive issue locally, with some people deliberately staying on the NC side of the state line because of concerns they have about education in SC schools. I have no opinion either way, as I don't have a child in either school system, but it is not a straightforward decision as to which is "better".
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:59 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Education is a divisive issue locally, with some people deliberately staying on the NC side of the state line because of concerns they have about education in SC schools. I have no opinion either way, as I don't have a child in either school system, but it is not a straightforward decision as to which is "better".
I'm not comparing NC and SC, but stating factually that we have been blown away with the schools in Fort Mill. It is a fantastic school district. I believe it's one of the top districts in SC from start to finish, but most importantly it's been fantastic for our children.

It certainly doesn't make sense that anyone would avoid this school district!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by lj2
I'm not comparing NC and SC, but stating factually that we have been blown away with the schools in Fort Mill. ....... It certainly doesn't make sense that anyone would avoid this school district!
I am glad that you are impressed and happy with the schools in Fort Mill, I know others locally are also impressed. However it would make sense if the schools were better still in Mecklenburg and Union counties, NC, and I know others who are equally certain (as you, and those impressed with Fort Mill, SC) that NC schools are superior and that education in SC is inferior.

I make no judgement in this matter, I merely report that the issue is disputed locally and that there isn't a universally agreed answer as to which school system is better, and therefore IMHO advice here would not be complete without noting to anyone relocating here, that they should consider the matter carefully and not take just one opinion as an undisputed fact.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 6th 2013 at 10:22 am.
Old May 16th 2014, 3:29 am

Hi,
The move to the US is still on the cards but the position will be slightly delayed until March of 2014, ....
So, March 2014 has been and gone, as has April. ..... I wonder if the OP gets alerts when someone posts to his thread?
Old May 16th 2014, 8:15 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I am new to this forum and would firstly like to say hello
My company (a large global) has offered to send me and my family on a Secondmant for initially 12/18 months.
I do know that this will be with an L1 visa and this seems to tick the right boxes.
The company will cover all rental/utility, medical, tax, car rental and so forth
I will stay on a UK contract and be paid into my UK account (my company sorts all the tax side out).

We are a mid 30's couple with 2 girls, who will be aged 6 and 4 in September (which is the approximate date if we decide to accept), so I have read that the school is pretty much based on your address.

So my first question would be, which areas should we be looking at based on being being a young family, looking for good schools.

I would say that we are mid to upper class and that from a rental perspective we have a high cap.

My wife is very unsure on such a big move and I would like to get as much info as possible before we make a decision, our intention would be to store everything in UK (as we currently rent) and save the money for a deposit for our own place as we will pratically live for free whilst in Charlotte

Thanks in advance for your advice
At your age, and with the cast-iron guarantees you seem to have, this seems like a great adventure. Grab it by the horns. VERY few people get opportunities like this, so why swither? Go for it.