Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK family moving to North Carolina looking for advice

UK family moving to North Carolina looking for advice

Old Sep 14th 2012, 4:54 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK family moving to North Carolina looking for advice

Originally Posted by Philippa.Jones01
My Husband has been offered a job in the US, we have 2 children, 10 and 6 and are looking to relocate to North Carolina. We'd like to be based on the coast but are open to suggestions. Most importantly is our childrens education, so good schools are a must. Your advice on where to settle would be greatly appreciated.
The company are covering the medical insurance, it is a permenant job, along with sponsorship for a GC, a significant increase in salary and working from home. Along with 32 vacation days, 7 paid public holidays.
All I asked for was advice on moving to NC, in regard to location and schooling, I didn't realise personal circumstances and the contract needed to be discussed too.
People are just trying to be helpful. If your children's education really is the most important thing then you need to be thinking more than just which school they will spend the next year in. In order for longer-term advice and thoughts the visa type you are on is relevant. If you don't want to give out more information than in your first post then that's fine - absolutely no problems. However, the quality of the information you receive is usually directly proportional to the quality of information you provide and, to be honest, that was very low in your original post. As others have stated, a lot of what you have said is wrong, or implies less of an understanding about the situation than you seem to believe you have. By all means, grab this opportunity, but do so with eyes wide open and a fully informed decision.

Good luck.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Philippa.Jones01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I appreciate your advice in regard to Visa's etc, and your concern in my husbands company not forfilling their obligations. I do not have your reservations, and have taken on board the need for me to have the correct visa on entry, not only for me but also for the children. I am also aware of the requirements needed for me to enable me to have a car licence. The company my Husband works for is Internationally known and located, having an excellent reputation with relocation of staff and their families, and we have had a lot of help from members within the same company in regard to finalising visa's etc. So, if I have come across in the wrong way I apologise. My primary reason for posting was to gather information on where to live in NC and schooling for my two children, as their well being and education is paramount.
Sorry if I have offended anyone.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 5:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

You have indicated that you are aware of the size of NC, and that you are interested in living close to the coast. Perhaps if you came up with some towns that are of interest to you and mentioned those, people would be able to give you more specific assistance from personal experience, rather than just responding to an enquiry about the entire state. It's kind of like someone in the US saying I'm moving to the UK and can live anywhere -- what do you suggest? There are probably 100 folks from 100 different parts of the UK here who would respond with a favourite place!
Old Sep 14th 2012, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Due to us both being brought up by beaches, we'd really like to be close to the Ocean, having lived in the UK for the last 19/17 years respectively. I've been looking at Wilmington and Carolina Beach and north along the coast and the riverways. Would prefer Carolina Beach and north personally due to the Ocean being so close. Have also been looking at other posts regarding NC, safe areas etc. I've been checking out schools too, and will no doubt have loads of questions due to the different admission policies etc, especially with the lottery system!?

Last edited by Philippa.Jones01; Sep 14th 2012 at 6:02 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 6:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The company are covering the medical insurance
Yes, but offering it is not the same as you having zero cost.

You've got kids, so it is a important decision, as is what visa you're been offered and time scale to greencard. It can often be the maker or breaker of a decision over anything else.

You also asked people to help, they are. You also wanted free advice and with that comes extras, plus people aren't really going to be willing to bother if it's another pie in the sky thread.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 6:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking at Wilmington and Carolina Beach and north along the coast and the riverways. Would prefer Carolina Beach and north personally due to the Ocean being so close.
Sounds like prime hurricane territory -- they seem to get hit quite frequently in that area.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Sounds like prime hurricane territory -- they seem to get hit quite frequently in that area.
Yes you will have to figure in hurricane insurance above and beyond the normal homeowners/rental insurance. Having at least one evacuation per year is pretty normal somewhere along the NC coast

Here in central NC we usually get away with not being hit too hard but there have been some bad years (1996 in particular)

Last edited by rbackhouse; Sep 14th 2012 at 6:55 pm. Reason: Get the year correct
Old Sep 15th 2012, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to the hurricane insurance and normal house insurance you will need flood insurance. Even if the wind from the hurricane pushes the water (which is what several residents down here argued), it's considered separate damage and will not be covered by the hurricane or home policies. Lots of people tried to sue their insurance companies to force coverage of this type of damage with Hurricane Hugo in Charleston, but they did not win that argument.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 6:47 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously? Hurricane insurance doesn't cover the storm surge? Good to know for when we look at moving to Myrtle Beach.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Seriously? Hurricane insurance doesn't cover the storm surge? Good to know for when we look at moving to Myrtle Beach.

Really, what fun...... Been looking a Myrtle Beach too. What an experience for all of us
Old Sep 15th 2012, 2:49 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Yes it is well publicized that Flood insurance is not covered under regular policies. (Hurricane cover is an "add on"). You need to be aware of the flood zone you are in ie 1= on the beach, 5 =not a flood zone. Some mortgages will REQUIRE flood insurance even if you think its worth the risk!
Old Sep 15th 2012, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Yes it is well publicized that Flood insurance is not covered under regular policies. (Hurricane cover is an "add on"). You need to be aware of the flood zone you are in ie 1= on the beach, 5 =not a flood zone. Some mortgages will REQUIRE flood insurance even if you think its worth the risk!
Yep...and zones can change after storms as well. We were not even in a flood zone when we bought but now we are in one of the highest zones there is
Old Sep 15th 2012, 8:12 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Yep...and zones can change after storms as well. We were not even in a flood zone when we bought but now we are in one of the highest zones there is
Yes, I looked up my local flood zone map again. I am not in a flood zone, but if there was a 20ft surge around here, I could find myself on a 3 mile square Island, 2 miles into the Gulf of Mexico
Old Sep 15th 2012, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RICH
Yes, I looked up my local flood zone map again. I am not in a flood zone, but if there was a 20ft surge around here, I could find myself on a 3 mile square Island, 2 miles into the Gulf of Mexico
Instant rise in property value if you suddenly end up with oceanfront property .
Old Sep 15th 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Instant rise in property value if you suddenly end up with oceanfront property .
Nice,Tim,But. Think of the insurance premiums!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.