Reload this Page >

UK Extension Cord in US mains

UK Extension Cord in US mains

Old Aug 4th 2014, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

nglondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Extension Cord in US mains

Hi,

I have a number of electronic items that can work fine with 110V or 230V. This includes laptops, phone chargers, printer etc. As all of these require UK to US converter, I am wondering if the following will work.

1. Plug a UK extension cored into US mains using a UK to US converter - I guess this is the main worry. The extension cord says 13A 250 V. I am guessing at least the fuse in the UK extension cord will blow up straight away.
2. If somehow I can make the extension cord work, I can plus all my devices into the same.

If this is a stupid idea, will anyone know where to get a good quality US extension cord with UK sockets.

Thanks
NG
Old Aug 4th 2014, 3:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Extension Cord in US mains

Originally Posted by nglondon
Hi,

I have a number of electronic items that can work fine with 110V or 230V. This includes laptops, phone chargers, printer etc. As all of these require UK to US converter, I am wondering if the following will work.

1. Plug a UK extension cored into US mains using a UK to US converter - I guess this is the main worry. The extension cord says 13A 250 V. I am guessing at least the fuse in the UK extension cord will blow up straight away.
2. If somehow I can make the extension cord work, I can plus all my devices into the same.

If this is a stupid idea, will anyone know where to get a good quality US extension cord with UK sockets.

Thanks
NG
If they work with either voltage, then why do you need a converter?, just set the machine for the correct voltage. Just change the plugs to the correct one. Or are you talking of machines which are not dual voltage?
Old Aug 4th 2014, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

I use UK extension cords exactly as you describe. No problems. I have 3 double US to UK converters directly into sockets, then run extensions from them.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If they work with either voltage, then why do you need a converter?, just set the machine for the correct voltage. Just change the plugs to the correct one. Or are you talking of machines which are not dual voltage?
Maybe I used the wrong word. I am not converting voltage. I just want to plug my UK plugs in US mains as they can take both 110 or 230V. I do not want to change plugs as who knows how long I will be here. I just want to use an adaptor to plug in UK plug in US mains. Now instead of buying lot of adaptors, I could plug my extension cord from UK (250 V, 13A) into one UK to US adaptor (no voltage conversion) and plug that into US main. Will that create a problem?
Old Aug 4th 2014, 3:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

If this is a stupid idea, will anyone know where to get a good quality US extension cord with UK sockets. ....
It's a good idea till it goes wrong, or something else goes wrong, and your house catches fire. Then it automatically becomes a stupid idea because using transformers is already questionable under standard US homeowners insurance policies, and adding a thicket of extension cords is not going to improve matters vis a vis your insurance.

Either buy new power cords if the cords are detachable, or if the cords are not detachable, snip off the plugs and replace them with plugs bought from Lowes, Home Depot, or a local electrical supplier (contrary to an assertion by someone else on BE, replacement plugs are widely available).

I have a couple of transformers myself, but I use them very sparingly for just a couple of 240v applications.

Tip: If you must use transformers, be sure they are rated for significantly more than the devices you are intending to run on them. I would go for 1.5x-2x the power requirement.

BTW I believe your question about US power cords with UK sockets is a first here on BE! How much demand do you think there is for such a neither-fish -nor-fowl device?

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 4th 2014 at 3:48 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's a good idea till it goes wrong, or something else goes wrong, and your house catches fire. Then automatically becomes a stupid idea because using transformers is already questionable under standard US homeowners insurance, and adding a thicket of extension cords is not going to improve matters vis a vis your insurance.

Either buy new power cords if the cords are detachable, or if the cords are not detachable, snip off the plugs and replace them with plugs bought from Lowes, Home Depot, or a local electrical supplier (contrary to an assertion by someone else on BE, replacement plugs are widely available).

I have a couple of transformers myself, but I use them very sparingly for just a couple of 240v applications.

Tip: If you must use transformers, be sure they are rated for significantly more than the devices you are intending to run on them. I would go for 1.5x-2x the power requirement.
I am not using any transformers.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 3:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I am not using any transformers.
I misunderstood "converter" ..... I now assume you meant a plug adapter?

From an insurance perspective they're as bad as transformers. They're fine for short term use by travellers, but you need the advice in the second paragraph of my previous post: replace the plug-cords (look on Amazon), or snip and replace the plugs.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

US Extension cords are really very cheap, so I would be inclined to buy them here and use your adapter on the end, rather than the beginning. That said, UK cords are likely to be of a higher quality and, as you're not changing voltages, should be as safe as any others.

For sensitive electronics like computers, etc., I would most definitely buy a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) or, at the very least, a surge protector. Electricity supply here is notoriously bad for black- and/or brown-outs, which can do a lot of damage.

Personally, I run one one all my computers plus one for the TVs and ancilliary devices connected to them (Blu-ray player, DirecTV DVR, three different games consoles, GenieGo, DTV Cinema Kit).
Old Aug 4th 2014, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf
...., UK cords are likely to be of a higher quality and, as you're not changing voltages, should be as safe as any others. .....
With respect I disagree. UK power cords are designed for twice the voltage, and therefore half the power (amps), for the same wattage. Using UK power cords could be a fire hazard. ..... That said as US homes have sockets around the house I am puzzled as to why extension cords are needed at all IF you insist on going down the "plug adapter route", which is not the best idea anyway.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

With respect I disagree. UK power cords are designed for twice the voltage, and therefore half the power (amps), for the same wattage. Using UK power cords could be a fire hazard. ..... That said as US homes have sockets around the house I am puzzled as to why extension cords are needed at all IF you insist on going down the "plug adapter route", which is not the best idea anyway.
I need at least 4 power points for my computer, monitor, printer and laptop on one table. I could either buy 4 individual adaptors or just use the UK extension cable lying on my table with one US to UK adaptor. Obviously I would like to save the cost but not cause a fire or any hazard for saving $25 (
VCT - 220V/240V AC 13A Universal Surge Protector / Power Strip with 6 Universal Outlets. 50Hz/60Hz - 450 Joules. Max. 4000 Watt Capacity - Heavy Duty European Cord - Electrical Outlet Boxes - Amazon.com VCT - 220V/240V AC 13A Universal Surge Protector / Power Strip with 6 Universal Outlets. 50Hz/60Hz - 450 Joules. Max. 4000 Watt Capacity - Heavy Duty European Cord - Electrical Outlet Boxes - Amazon.com
).
Old Aug 4th 2014, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

+1

Although if it is fused at 13 amps as the OP mentioned (are UK extension cores fused?), then it should be OK. Typically US extension cords are a few amps for extending things like lamps or have a high enough current rating so that the breaker will normally protect it from overheating.

Or is he talking about a power strip which may be fused and that should be OK?

Last edited by Michael; Aug 4th 2014 at 4:36 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Michael
+1

Although if it is fused at 13 amps as the OP mentioned (are UK extension cores fused?), then it should be OK. Typically US extension cords are a few amps for extending things like lamps or have a high enough current rating so that the breaker will normally protect it from overheating.

Or is he talking about a power strip which may be fused and that should be OK?
Sidebar with Michael.

All British plugs have a fuse in them. Many power strips also have a (n additional) fuse in the actual strip - i.e. the are two fuses protecting the power strip.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Sidebar with Michael.

All British plugs have a fuse in them. Many power strips also have a (n additional) fuse in the actual strip - i.e. the are two fuses protecting the power strip.
Is the UK the only country that fuses it's plugs since I don't remember the Italians, Swiss, or Germans fusing their plugs?
Old Aug 4th 2014, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Is the UK the only country that fuses it's plugs since I don't remember the Italians, Swiss, or Germans fusing their plugs?
Quite possibly (going by the fact that the French don't and their system is shared through mainland Europe), maybe it's because we use 240v or 50Hz or just because!!!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Quite possibly (going by the fact that the French don't and their system is shared through mainland Europe), maybe it's because we use 240v or 50Hz or just because!!!
But everyone in Europe uses 220v-240v 50 Hz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.