Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK expat in the US - tax & reporting

UK expat in the US - tax & reporting

Old Aug 15th 2022, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK expat in the US - tax & reporting

Originally Posted by durham_lad
inside an IRA or Roth you can invest in what you want. It doesn’t matter what is inside. Roth distributions after age 59.5 are tax free in the UK as well as in the USA.
Got it. My perspective was from a point of view of making the backdoor contribution, assuming OP will earn way over the income limits.
Old Aug 15th 2022, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Got it. My perspective was from a point of view of making the backdoor contribution, assuming OP will earn way over the income limits.
Yeah, our income was almost always above the deductible limit so I made non-deductible IRA contributions for years. It was nice when the Roth came along and I could convert that non-deductible IRA to a Roth. Between the 2 of us we now have over $1m in Roths, totally tax free in both US and UK.
Old Oct 19th 2022, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Sq25394 is an unknown quantity at this point

On the subject of ISAs, once paying US taxes I was highly advised by both US and UK tax accountants to exit them. They’re not viewed favorably and for some reason tracker funds too.
Old Oct 19th 2022, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sq25394
On the subject of ISAs, once paying US taxes I was highly advised by both US and UK tax accountants to exit them. They’re not viewed favorably and for some reason tracker funds too.
Cash ISAs are okay, just treated as bank accounts and the interest taxed as such.

Stocks and Shares ISAs are taxed extremely heavily by the IRS plus complicated paperwork.
Old Oct 19th 2022, 1:29 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sq25394
It is not just tracker funds. All foreign pooled investments which includes but is not limited to tracker funds, ETFs, Unit Trusts, OEICs and Investment Trusts are taxed at draconian rates in the US. In addition, the IRS does not recognize ISAs, they are fully taxable. If you are moving over here sell these investments before you arrive. The-problem arises as soon as you become subject to US taxation, which is the day you set foot in the US, not when you start paying the taxes. It is very expensive and complicated to rectify the problem as a resident. Selling such investments prior to arrival is the only way to avoid the complex, time consuming paperwork and very high taxes. Google FBAR (which is just a minor inconvenience) and PFIC (which is the major problem) formore information if you have such investments.