Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK expat moved to US and now selling house in UK after 2 1/2 yrs

UK expat moved to US and now selling house in UK after 2 1/2 yrs

Old Mar 13th 2014, 1:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK expat moved to US and now selling house in UK after 2 1/2 yrs

Originally Posted by Michael
I couldn't find it in the IRS document but this article seems to indicate that recapture of depreciation is taxed at a maximum of 25%.

The part of the gain that is related to depreciation, however, will be taxed at a maximum 25% rate.

http://taxes.about.com/od/capitalgains/qt/recapture.htm
As far as I know, that is correct. It's not capital gains so is still a form of ordinary income, however a special set of tax rates applies. I haven't checked to see if net investment income tax (if applicable) applies to depreciation recapture. I have edited the above post for clarity.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
As far as I know, that is correct. It's not capital gains so is still a form of ordinary income, however a special set of tax rates applies. I haven't checked to see if net investment income tax (if applicable) applies to depreciation recapture. I have edited the above post for clarity.
In my opinion, it would be unfair to tax depreciation recapture as normal income. If that were the case and you depreciated $10,000 per year at a 25% top marginal tax bracket for 10 years and then recaptured $100,000 after a sale, your top marginal tax bracket may possibly be 33% because of all the extra income.

Also if a person's primary business was investing in a large number of properties and selling many each year, they would be donating to congressmen to make sure that law was changed since they would likely be paying 39.6% on the recapture.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 13th 2014 at 1:43 am.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

toalorama is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Which leads to the most important question - you're on the H1 visa which is not a good visa for long term settlement in the United States. Have you a clear and present intention + strategy to get a green card, or would you be fine with being effectively forced to sell your U.S. property quickly if you had to leave?
I have a Tax adviser here, but I am not tax astute, and when he talks it tends to go in one ear and out the other. So I wanted to check my facts in slow time before I speak with him on such an important matter. The company I work for is sponsoring me for a green card. Yep it is a risk doing this on an H1B but I am relatively happy. If the worst happened I think I could get another company to sponsor me. Thanks for the concern tho.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully you elected to file as a full year resident in the arrival year and have shed loads of excess foreign tax credits carrying forward to use against the tax on the gain?
Old Mar 15th 2014, 12:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
Hopefully you elected to file as a full year resident in the arrival year and have shed loads of excess foreign tax credits carrying forward to use against the tax on the gain?
Except that most people don't do that and even if they did, it's not clear how that could generate these "excess foreign tax credits" you speak of. But there's always scope for learning.

And if the property is sold within 3 years it's likely not going to be taxable anyway, except possibly for depreciation recapture.

And if it is taxable, then they'll just have to pay the tax.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Except that most people don't do that and even if they did, it's not clear how that could generate these "excess foreign tax credits" you speak of. But there's always scope for learning.

And if the property is sold within 3 years it's likely not going to be taxable anyway, except possibly for depreciation recapture.

And if it is taxable, then they'll just have to pay the tax.
Also foreign earned income tax credits can't be used to offset taxes owed for capital gains.